Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Rope 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Rope 

Post Rope
Rope

Quote:
Rope is a 1948 American crime film based on the play Rope (1929) by Patrick Hamilton and adapted by Hume Cronyn (treatment) and Arthur Laurents, directed by Alfred Hitchcock and produced by Sidney Bernstein and Hitchcock as the first of their Transatlantic Pictures productions. Starring James Stewart, John Dall and Farley Granger, it is the first of Hitchcock's Technicolor films, and is notable for taking place in real time and being edited so as to appear as a single continuous shot through the use of long takes.

The original play was said to be inspired by the real-life murder of 14-year-old Bobby Franks in 1924 by University of Chicago students Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:37 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Rope
An interesting experiment film and a twisted idea for a murder, with good performances all around, especially by Stewart. It's very much a B grade Hitchcock film though.

B

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:37 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It's not so much a "b grade Hitchcock," as it is simply unambitious.

I think it's terrific. Fascinating and surprisingly rich on repeated viewings.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:12 pm
htm

I'd agree that it doesn't have the same tone as some of the so-called "great" Hitchcocks, but it's easily one of the most fascinating. I really enjoy how each of the players turned in great performances with an authentic, psychological depth - all while working within a span of a few shots - and cleverly moving between them when he did cut. It really says something about the caliber of the filmmakers and actors working here. Very good stuff.

****/****

Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:14 pm
Extraordinary

I agree and what I also love about it is that becuse of the limitations Hitchcock gave himself, he couldn't easily cut between people speaking and people reacting. There is one shot where instead of showing the two main characters speaking, he holds on Stewart and you can slowly see Stewart reacting as he comprehends what has gone on. Very effective.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I finally got to see this thanks to OnDemand, and I loved it. I really found the uninterrupted camera shots to be so unique and awesome.

The story itself was interesting, though was more boring to me than other interpretations of the Loeb/Leopold case.

Great acting from everyone in the film; the subtleties were wonderful.

Grade: B

Joy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Fascinating is definitely the best word for it. Not only because of the subject matter, which in itself is an interesting and twisted look at human nature, but also because of the form it takes, what with the lack of edits. Without being able to resort to typical film conventions, Hitchcock is still able to create a tense and nerve-wracking thriller. The actors are also all terrific, as they all had to nail their performances in each shot due to the long take. Stewart is predictably solid, but the two guys at the heart of the story are even better and thus drive the film. The ending is a bit weak, but everything up to that is perfect.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:12 pm
The Kramer

You can definitely tell this was meant to be a play, but the one long camera shot gimmick makes it feel very cinematic nonetheless. The best scene was when there was an important conversation happening, but the camera is 100% focused on the maid slowly clearing the table and so very nearly exposing the dead body.

I must wonder, what is the point of committing the perfect murder if you're just gonna tell everyone about it? :funny: I feel like Brandon could have done this without Phillip, but he couldn't do it without someone else knowing how brilliant he thought he was. Not getting the expected reaction from his friend causes him to elevate the situation even further by bringing even more people into the mix. Very interesting character who provokes very interesting reactions in others.

I'll give it a B.

Also, I bought a 14 film Hitchcock bundle for only $20. Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo, Rear Window, Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, Saboteur, Topaz, The Trouble With Harry, Torn Curtain, The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake), Marnie, Frenzy and Family Plot. Had only seen the first four (now five) so got a lot of catching up to do with ole Alfred.

I'm up to eleven total seen now including the unbundled NxNW, Lifeboat, Dial M For Murder, Spellbound, Strangers on a Train and Rebecca.

Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]