Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Scream (2022) 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Scream (2022) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Scream (2022)
Quote:
Scream (also informally known as Scream 5) is an upcoming American slasher film directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett and written by James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick. It is the fifth installment in the Scream film series. Though billed as a relaunch of the film series,[3][4] the film is a direct sequel to Scream 4 (2011), and the first in the series not to be directed by Wes Craven, who died in 2015. It stars franchise newcomers Melissa Barrera, Mason Gooding, Jenna Ortega, Dylan Minnette, and Jack Quaid, with Marley Shelton, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Neve Campbell, and Roger L. Jackson reprising their roles from previous installments.

Filming took place in Wilmington, North Carolina, from September to November 2020. The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on January 14, 2022, by Paramount Pictures. The film received positive reviews from critics, with praise aimed at the scares and performance of the cast.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Scream (2022)
I'm still reeling, but considering the first movie is my favorite movie of all time...this fucking rules.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:18 am
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

A+

This is pure fucking Bliss

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:40 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I had a massive grin on my face for 98% of the runtime here (the 2% was in one particular scene longtime fans will understand). And they brought back the font and the way the original credits were done, as well as some of the great musical cues that were missing from the fourth. I was so happy.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 am
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

thompsoncory wrote:
I had a massive grin on my face for 98% of the runtime here (the 2% was in one particular scene longtime fans will understand). And they brought back the font and the way the original credits were done, as well as some of the great musical cues that were missing from the fourth. I was so happy.

This. This. This. I mean everything about this was fire. The way Sidney, Gale and Dewey were used was superb. I am in awe at how good this film was. This should be the rebirth od the slasher subgenre.

Everyone please go watch this.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also putting under a spoiler cut but newbie cast rankings:

Spoiler: show
1. Jenna Ortega (iconic, the moment, etc.)
2. Jasmin Savoy Brown (see above)
3. Mason Gooding
4. Jack Quaid
5. Mikey Madison
6. Melissa Barrera
7. Dylan Minnette
8. Sonia Ben Ammar
9. Kyle Gallner

Everything the top two did was amazing IMO.

Also this one was actually scary. The kills were brutal and there were some legitimately shocking, graphic moments.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:11 am
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

That one death is probably oke fo the goriest in the series. What a fucking way to go down.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:21 am
Wallflower

This was great. Some minor nitpicks but I couldn't have expected a better sequel. My third favorite of the series after the first two. I'll be seeing it again. I hope it's a big hit.

I'm tired right now but I'll expand on my thoughts soon.

A-

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:58 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes this was great whole predictable the unfolding of things were done pretty great. Love the the new cast but the returning cast still knocks it out of the park.

B+

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:55 am
Hold the door!

This was entertaining but honestly there's not much new ground tread here. Kind of was tiresome watching the kills after a while, like how good is a movie if watching people get brutally murdered is the only highlight?

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:21 am
100% That Bitch

zwackerm wrote:
This was entertaining but honestly there's not much new ground tread here. Kind of was tiresome watching the kills after a while, like how good is a movie if watching people get brutally murdered is the only highlight?

Uhmmmm why did you go toa Scream movie in the first place?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:47 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Good question. That's a weird thing to say when reviewing a slasher movie.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:15 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The whodunnit premise is like what this entire franchise is built on, with the kills being a way of offing the suspects one by one. Maybe this isn't the franchise for you.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:21 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also in retrospect this makes the fourth look even weaker - aside from Kirby and that batshit finale it really isn't good on a filmmaking level (bad lighting, weird editing and some really bad performances such as Aimee Teegarden's) and the fan service in that one feels kind of cheap.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:23 pm
Profile YIM
Superfreak

this is going to be a big hit.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm
Hold the door!

Mau wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Uhmmmm why did you go toa Scream movie in the first place?

Well I was invited by a friend.

I was on board for the original but the second and this one that I've seen have just done the same thing and it gets old. I also do like whodunits but it gets predictable after a while. I guessed one of the killers, though not the other.

I've never seen Scream 3 or 4

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:41 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yet you need to realize by now what these movies are doing. I'm not sure what you expected out of these. They never promised to be anything else but predictable mysteries with lots of killings.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 pm
Extraordinary

This was decent, wasn't in love with it though. Something felt off with the new cast (Jenna Ortega was really good though) a few sequences I thought were really well done though, and I liked all the callbacks to the first one.

Sam seeing visions of Billy was weird lol like it felt like something that was an idea that would end up being a deleted scene

Also I wasn't really feeling Sam as a character. Guess it's hard to compare when Sydney was such a great protagonist but idk

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:40 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw this again today and loved it even more.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:38 am
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

This is such a tough call. I mean I loved it, but I loved 3-5. It never gets bad. There are things that frustrate me about all of them. You can easily tell 4 was written by Williamson as the new characters get the best shake there but the legacy characters are great here, maybe the best they've ever been (Shame that new Dewey could have been the face of a new franchise, loved his arch, really thought he was gonna Nick Fury it in the end and be the guy calling on the other end, lol)

This may have been the first time it was the only I time I guessed both killers, but I'm not sure if that was the point, which in itself makes it a lot of fun. But the finale that saved the 4th is grossly underwhelming here.

I still give it a B+ though. It leans in the direction the last 2 were sorely missing which was just pure horror moments. It was a real "fuck you" to jump moments that when they came it was nice to be surprised by them (mostly Marley Shelton scenes

I am actually disappointed Stu didn't show up in the end. I really thought the girl was going to be related to him and the had some sort of Psycho 2 sub plot of Stu being an underrated killer was going to be the end finale rap, as is the fan motive is super weak

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:02 pm
Star Trek XI

thompsoncory wrote:
Also putting under a spoiler cut but newbie cast rankings:

1. Jenna Ortega (iconic, the moment, etc.)
2. Jasmin Savoy Brown (see above)
3. Mason Gooding
4. Jack Quaid
5. Mikey Madison
6. Melissa Barrera
7. Dylan Minnette
8. Sonia Ben Ammar
9. Kyle Gallner

Everything the top two did was amazing IMO.

Also this one was actually scary. The kills were brutal and there were some legitimately shocking, graphic moments.

I thought Melissa did great! Sam was very likable though I thought the cast as a whole did good, I’m a little disheartened to see some hate for Melissa’s acting as she was my favorite and I hope her star shines after this movie

Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:37 pm
The Kramer

Scream 5 had some good scenes, no doubt about it, but damn that killer reveal was weak. I remember being totally shocked at the Scream 4 reveal, thinking that "ohhh that makes a ton of sense." Now? So meh. Dewey dies to make it seem like "shit just got real, anything can happen!" then they proceed to just do the first movie again, pretty much beat for beat. In a way it reminded me of Matrix Resurrections, which pretends its too cool to even exist for half the runtime but just settles into a protypical Hollywood reboot by the end.

The Yellowjackets girl is the standout. She is great as the new Randy. Probably should have been the lead of the movie. Melissa is super hot, but doesn't bring much to the role after it becomes obvious she is not the killer. More of a shocked face than anything else. Not even a scream queen.

Did Neve and Courtney even need to be in this?

It's also a little disjointed. Most of the movie is Deadly Serious, but then there is the scene where the cop's son teases his own death for like five mintues straight? What is going on? Wes Craven and his way to expertly blend horror with comedy has never been more badly missed.

I'll put it right at the border of B-/C+. Entertaining watch for the most part. Just a let down for a Scream sequel, which despite popular opinion had all been really good up to this point.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:22 pm
100% That Bitch

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Scream 5 had some good scenes, no doubt about it, but damn that killer reveal was weak. I remember being totally shocked at the Scream 4 reveal, thinking that "ohhh that makes a ton of sense." Now? So meh. Dewey dies to make it seem like "shit just got real, anything can happen!" then they proceed to just do the first movie again, pretty much beat for beat. In a way it reminded me of Matrix Resurrections, which pretends its too cool to even exist for half the runtime but just settles into a protypical Hollywood reboot by the end.

The Yellowjackets girl is the standout. She is great as the new Randy. Probably should have been the lead of the movie. Melissa is super hot, but doesn't bring much to the role after it becomes obvious she is not the killer. More of a shocked face than anything else. Not even a scream queen.

Did Neve and Courtney even need to be in this?

It's also a little disjointed. Most of the movie is Deadly Serious, but then there is the scene where the cop's son teases his own death for like five mintues straight? What is going on? Wes Craven and his way to expertly blend horror with comedy has never been more badly missed.

I'll put it right at the border of B-/C+. Entertaining watch for the most part. Just a let down for a Scream sequel, which despite popular opinion had all been really good up to this point.

That death scene is fucking glorious and a master class in suspense.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]