Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Tragedy of Macbeth 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Tragedy of Macbeth 
now we know

Post The Tragedy of Macbeth

Quote:
The Tragedy of Macbeth is a 2021 thriller film written and directed by Joel Coen and based on the play Macbeth by William Shakespeare. It is the first film directed by one of the Coen brothers without the other's involvement. The film stars Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand (who also produced the film), Bertie Carvel, Alex Hassell, Corey Hawkins, Harry Melling, and Brendan Gleeson.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: The Tragedy of Macbeth
Striking cinematography was prophecized for the Tragedy of Macbeth and destiny was fulfilled. Just some incredible shots in this movie. A real feast for the eyes.

But, and I guess this is mostly my fault, I was expecting something more here than just ... Macbeth. I never watched the trailer, but the reviews and other pre-hype machines had me thinkign this was gonna be a very Coeny take on the story. Instead, a "noir Macbeth" just means that it is shot in black and white. I get what they were going for - stage acting done ultra-cinematically .. But I still think that just doing a new version of Macbeth, without repeating Shakespeare's lines, would have been more effective here.

So Macbeth has a ton of style, but brings no more substance to the story than anyone else over the last few hundred years. If you're familiar with the story, you could watch this movie on mute and get the same effect. That being said, I love high style and the movie is worth watching just for that.

B-

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:50 pm
Hold the door!

Beautiful looking movie, and great performances. However, the story is hard to follow if you are not already familiar with it. Doesn't break any ground from a retelling perspective, but it was an enjoyable watch.

Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:13 am
Devil's Advocate

As hardly being a Macbeth expert, I was more focused on keeping up with the dialog/storyline with help of subtitles and sparknotes than paying attention to the filmmaking. I came away with a new appreciation of Macbeth the play since I have learned a lot in recent years about tyrants and their paranoia taking out every opponent around them. Maybe it was partly the film pushing it that way, but I never realized when I was a kid how much Macbeth was 100% the villain. He is as much the bad guy in this as Scar is in the Lion King or something to me (yes, I know that was based on the other play) and Lady Macbeth's main miscalculation was not realizing how much of a monster her husband had in him.

The black and white cinematography is great and I think Denzel and Frances both did really well. It sounds like they made a few tweaks which I appreciate, such as that Ross guy having an outsized importance saving the kid, etc. but also being untrurstworthy, but I think it worked.

Really nice Shakespeare adaptation.

Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]