Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The Matrix Resurrections 

Rate this film:
A 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
F 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

The Matrix Resurrections 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Matrix Resurrections
Quote:
The Matrix Resurrections is a 2021 American science fiction action film produced, co-written, and directed by Lana Wachowski. It is the sequel to The Matrix Revolutions (2003) and the fourth installment in The Matrix film series. Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Lambert Wilson, and Jada Pinkett Smith reprise their roles from previous films in the series, being joined by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Jessica Henwick, Jonathan Groff, Neil Patrick Harris, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and Christina Ricci. The film was produced by Village Roadshow Pictures and Venus Castina Productions and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Following the release of Revolutions, the Wachowskis denied the possibility of another Matrix film, though rumors emerged since then about a possible fourth Matrix film and the studio constantly expressed interest in reviving the franchise, hiring Zak Penn to write a new screenplay after the Wachowskis refused every offer to create more sequels. In late 2019, a fourth Matrix film was finally announced, with Lana Wachowski returning as director without her sister, and Reeves and Moss reprising their roles. Filming started in February 2020 but was halted the next month by the COVID-19 pandemic. Wachowski toyed with the possibility of shelving the project and leaving the film unfinished, but the cast insisted that she finish it. Filming resumed in August 2020, concluding three months later.

The Matrix Resurrections had its world premiere in Toronto, Canada on December 16, 2021, and is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. Pictures theatrically in other countries on December 22, 2021. It will also stream digitally on the ad-free tier of HBO Max in the United States for a month beginning on that same date.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 am
Veteran

Post Re: The Matrix Resurrections
I kept asking myself what is this movie about? What’s the end goal here (beyond reuniting Trinity and Neo)? What’s at stake? It felt very much like a stage setter for a trilogy. The film had little weight on its own. Also, the script relied too heavily on the mythos and grandeur of the original. Not to mention the greatest hits cameos, flashbacks, and slow-mo action scenes. It was way too meta (even controlling for the fact they purposely went meta). The first trilogy was used as a crutch time and time again. Unfortunately most Wachowski movies are subpar. They hit paydirt with The Matrix. I’m not optimistic about the sequels. I give it a B- but I’ll give it another chance after rewatching the earlier films. 

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:44 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah this felt like too much depended on first movies and it never worked on its own. There are some cool things towards the end but it takes way too long to setup and then resolves the whole thing with Trinity easily, don't think there was another way to do it but a few more scenes of realization from Trinity would have been great. Also the action seems way too generic in this age, it just felt that there was much more they could have done with this universe.

C+

Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:30 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I liked it and there are some great sequences but I did find myself a tad confused at times and while the visuals are spectacular it did feel a little 'greatest hits' in terms of referencing the iconic imagery of the original trilogy. I think it will please fans. Also didn't hate the "Sense8" references and cameos. B

Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:21 am
Profile YIM
now we know

No wonder Warner Bros. didn't mind putting this onto HBO Max. It's not fit for a long-awaited return to this franchise. Too wordy. Overly convoluted. No new tricks. Subpar action sequences either in the dark or in abandoned buildings. No grandeur or scope or ... money shots. And then it ends with the lamest woke correction that, oh, all along THE WOMAN WAS THE ONE. The film feels plagued by the director's own mental issues.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

If this had better execution/action I would've liked this much more but overall I liked it fine. Just sad that for a film as iconic as the first one, most of the action here feels very generic.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:44 am
The Kramer

So they spend most of the first half complaining about having to reboot the Matrix (so meta!) then just go ahead with a pretty typical 2021 reboot for the second half. Familiar characters (though not all of them ... yet) mixed with a cast that resembles the original, but featuring more asians, more gays and more ass-kicking women. The original Matrix trilogy already had plenty of all of those so Lana really has to dial it up to make the quota.

It's entertaining enough though. Definitely moves a lot faster than any of the other sequels. There are some big ideas about how people would rather be in the Matrix today. That was a theme of the original too, but I feel like there was a lot more hope for the future back in 1999. Being hooked into a nostalgic video game actually does seem more appealing than a land ravaged by climate change and fascism. I was too young to connect with the "your normal, boring life IS The Matrix" part of the original, but it hit pretty hard here.

I have to wonder about one more major issue though: the whole idea that the Matrix is powered by Neo and Trinity's love for one another. That was a big part of the original trilogy, and the "I know you're the one because I love you" scene is iconic ... but was it really what people kept coming back for? I feel like his romantic relationship with Trinity was no more or less important than his adversarial one with Agent Smith or the sensei/apprentice dynamic with him and Morpheus. I think that was the one twist this movie needed - the new Smith being on Neo's side and the new Morpheus being against him. Would have made that final action scene feel so much bigger.

So Matrix Resurrections is ... fine. Hard to grade so I'll put it right on the B-/C+ borderline.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:48 pm
Extraordinary

Not having Laurence Fishburne back, especially given how Morpheus is in the movie, was silly. Yayah didn't really have that many scenes to make an impression. And not having Hugo Weaving back was lame too.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:16 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed with both the above statements. The continuous reference to past while trying to make its own reeks of desperation. Resurrection had good ideas but it never brings them forth till the very final act and once they are revealed it feels more of the same instead of changing the game and moving forward.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:21 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I couldn't force myself to finish watching it. It was that painful. Absolute train wreck, I'm shocked Warner Bros greenlit this script. It's like a bad SNL parody of the first movie but given a huge budget, and yet the action sequences were flat-out awful. Maybe it was the other Wachowski that had the good ideas? But then again neither have made a great film since....the first Matrix?

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:12 am
The Kramer

Speed Racer is awesome!

Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:55 am
Devil's Advocate

I'm a Cloud Atlas defender

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:16 pm
Forum General

I know a lot of people don't like it, but I've always enjoyed Jupiter Ascending.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This movie is boring AF. Like the beginning is kind of interesting but the rest is a total snooze. Tied with Revolutions as worst of the franchise for me.

Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:34 pm
Superfreak

wtf was this

f

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:30 pm
Superman: The Movie

The best movie of 2021 not named Minari.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]