Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Don't Look Up 

Rate this film:
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Don't Look Up 
Keeping it Light

Post Don't Look Up

Quote:
Don't Look Up is a 2021 American satirical science fiction black comedy film written, co-produced, and directed by Adam McKay. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence as two low-level astronomers attempting to warn mankind, via a media tour, about an approaching comet that will destroy Earth. Rob Morgan, Jonah Hill, Mark Rylance, Tyler Perry, Ron Perlman, Timothée Chalamet, Ariana Grande, Scott Mescudi, Cate Blanchett, and Meryl Streep round out the ensemble cast. The film is a satirical tackling of the climate change crisis. Grande and Mescudi also collaborated on the song "Just Look Up" as part of the film's soundtrack.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:19 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Don't Look Up
Cory, you get to go to a press screening of this or review it early?

Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:20 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The one that I was invited to I missed due to Thanksgiving, but I'll probably see it theatrically this weekend.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:20 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

thompsoncory wrote:
The one that I was invited to I missed due to Thanksgiving, but I'll probably see it theatrically this weekend.

Woo hoo, this thread is ready for you lol.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:31 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was biting and funny, though it starts to drag with the final act which didn't land for me as much as I would have hoped. The entire cast is great though. DiCaprio and Lawrence are at the top of their game (it's great to see Lawrence on screen again) and I felt the standouts of the supporting cast were Blanchett, Streep, Morgan and Grande. Mark Rylance's performance didn't really work for me to be honest and I felt that the scenes with him dragged whenever he was on screen. I certainly enjoyed it more than McKay's other political satires. B+

Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:36 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Is this a film that's enjoyable if you don't agree with its politics? Lol because I'm guessing I won't agree with its pretty obvious "you're a dumb stupid person if you don't panic about climate change" or whatever message.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:27 am
The Kramer

Adam McCay regurgitates two years of headlines into a different apocalyptic event. It's a clever idea, and probably exactly what would happen in this scenario. The problem is that they repeat the same joke over and over again for an agonizingly long two and a half hours. Yeah, we know anti-science people are dumb and Trump was a bad president and social media culture is toxic and the Republicans would rather engorge the rich than save the poor (though one of the best jokes of the movie is blue-collar pubs saying they support the "jobs the comet will create".) We get it. There has to be more to say but there just never was.

D

Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:28 am
Indiana Jones IV

uhhh this was excellent. I thought it succeeded on pretty much every level—effectively capturing the existential absurdity of the collective moment without sacrificing entertainment or endearing characters. A

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:42 am
Hold the door!

I liked this, it definitely didn’t have enough story to be 2 1/2 hours long though. They spend far too long on the initial premise of the movie before the plot develops at all. The satire is on the nose occasionally but generally vague enough to apply to a variety of issues.

The end credits scene where Streep gets eaten by a carnivorous bird was a highlight.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:58 am
Keeping it Light

Considering the cast and director a quite disappointing venture, the screenplay is just really pretty horrible that none of the great actors in this can save it. I'm not sure if I can even really put my finger on it, but it feels disjointed and too long. The film has some decent humor, but it all comes across as something that works better as a sketch than as a feature length story. Expected way more.

C

Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:32 am
100% That Bitch

A

Thid id right up my alley

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:56 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was surprisingly better than I thought but its still a mess. For 2 hours we keep getting the same joke from different cast of characters. Lawrence and DiCaprio are great in this and so was Meryl Streep but I loved Blanchet's turn in this.

C+

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]