Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 National Treasure: Book of Secrets 

What grade would you give this film?
A 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
C 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Post National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Quote:
National Treasure: Book of Secrets (titled National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets on the DVD/Blu-ray Disc release) is a 2007 mystery adventure film. It is a sequel to the 2004 film National Treasure and is part of the National Treasure franchise. It was directed by Jon Turteltaub and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

It was stated in the first film's commentary that there were no plans for a sequel, but due to the first film's impressive box-office performance, earning $347.5 million worldwide, a sequel was given the go-ahead in 2005. It took just 38 days of release for the sequel to out-gross the original.

The film premiered in New York City on December 13, 2007 and was first released in Korea and Taiwan on December 19, 2007. It was then released in Australia and the Middle East on December 20, 2007. The film opened in the United States, Canada, Japan, Spain, and Italy on December 21, 2007. It was released in Germany and The Netherlands on January 24, 2008 and in the United Kingdom and Denmark on February 8, 2008.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Insipidly boring, and I can't remember rolling my eyes more often at a movie. Ugh.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:54 pm
Extraordinary

No, it wasn't. I was bored out of my mind.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:57 pm
College Boy Z

Didn't you hate the first one, too? I don't know how you'd expect anything different.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:15 pm
I just lost the game

I think the beginning of the movie was rather weak, but once the film gained some momentum it was a great ride. If you didn't like the first movie, you won't like this one, but if you enjoyed it, everything that was great about the first movie returns. It isn't quite as good, but I would still recommend it if you liked it.

I was somewhat disappointed that the film started to try to introduce some light thematic elements but really didn't develop them. Hey Mr. Turteltaub, if you want a theme to your movie, have one. Introduction without development just makes your characters seem more stupid and thin than they already are.

B/B+

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:16 pm
Extraordinary

Zingaling wrote:
Didn't you hate the first one, too? I don't know how you'd expect anything different.

I had the exact same reaction to this as the first because it's the exact same movie. It's popcorn filmmaking, which I'm fine with, it's just not interesting. I don't care about the characters. I still laugh because Cage and the chick have absolutely no chemistry together. The action scenes are completely and horribly dull. That car chase in England? Snooooooze.

Sadly, I can't turn down a free movie and gas money, but I think my friend was more entertained by my facial reactions than the movie (and he loved the first one).

I'm compelled to ask -- how does finding the City of Gold clear Gates' grandfather?

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:28 pm
On autopilot for the summer

With the first film, I had a great time and in fact saw the film three times in theaters. About the closest you could get to an Indiana Jones you could get this day and age. Luckily that'll change this year.

On to this one. I had a good time, and probably won't see it again. It's entertaining sure, but its about as much as a cash in as one can get. I agree that the beginning is really weak after the "Civil War scene" I mean, literally ten seconds in, you feel like your already in the middle of the movie. Some silly subplots and crazy situations bring the trio, well now four, back together. Not for the Greatest treasure ever, as the editors state in the previews, but the Greatest Native American treasure of all time. Once the plot is then moving. everything is just a sloppier version of the first film. The action, villain, treasure, and sadly Harvey Keitel, are just rehashing. Though, that doesnt mean its not entertaining. Theres some good humor, fun puzzle solving, or rather Ben Gates sees a puzzle and knows the answer immediately. The film is more ridiculous plotwise than the first, if thats amazing, but at times it doenst click anymore. The sidekick and the President are very entertaining and theres decent action, good humor, and its a fun film with no seriousness whatsoever.

In closing, It's Stale Popcorn at it's finest. It's certainly no Rush Hour 3. I actually was more intrigued with a possible lead in for a third overall, as the President was a good character.

The first is A borderline A+ for me for how much fun. This one I'll give a less than solid B.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:40 pm
Team Kris

You want a mindless fun entertaining blockbuster, then this sequel delievers. It was no where near the quality of the first one and it does seem like it is rehashing some of the same techniques used in the previous movie. But that's ok. The movie was still quite entertaining and even funnier than the first movie with Jon Voight being especially great. The treasure mystery was a bit of a letdown as I really didn't care too much for it. I agree with Thegun that the President was a great new character and I loved how they ended it with what's on page 47?

B

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:44 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, and I have to say that the Goofy short in the beginning was pretty terrible. I used to be a big fan of Goofy, but man, the jokes played and it was so long. I hope this isn't a new trend coming back. I'm all for short films before, but God get some better writing.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:49 am
Forum General

Absolutely crappy movie. Worse than the original. I mean there was nothing new about it. It was the same shit over again. On top of that i was pissed i had to watch that stupid short animated with Goofy in it. There were some nice comedy here and there but it had so many cliches and a lot of things in it were so similar to other treasure hunting movies. Even the set pieces were boring as hell. The car chase scene was shit. I mean fuck it. I hated the movie. F

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Fun popcorn film. Disposible and a rehash of the first, but everyone was having fun and I had a good time.

B+

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:41 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Did Magnus just have an argument with himself?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:47 am
College Boy Z

My one gripe with the film:

The Dark Shape wrote:
I'm compelled to ask -- how does finding the City of Gold clear Gates' grandfather?

You're right. I don't understand at all how finding the gold clears his name at all. Did the President just use his power and change history? That's cool...

Other than that, about as much as you could ask from an unnecessary sequel. It's definitely not up to par with the original, but still a lot of fun. That's all I need.

B+

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:07 am
Extraordinary

NAT TREASURE 2

GRADE - B

First I have to mention that the trailers I saw attached to this movie was like hit after hit.

They were:
Kung fu panda
Wall E
Horton hears a who
Hancock
Prince Caspian
Leatherheads

Leatherheads was the weakest of the bunch but the rest seem destined to do at least 150 each.

As to the film, there were alot of families bringing their children to this movie. I didn't realize it had such a family audience base. I enjoyed seeing the gang back in this sequel. I prefer the Riley character the most. The story was weaker than the original since the bad guy wasn't exactly a true bad guy. This one was much more "unreal" compared to the first since he was able to do alot more outrageous things to find or get clues. I enjoyed how the film ended and wouldn't mind seeing it continue. I'm curious about that page 46.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:43 am

The more I think about it, they should have used the Book of Secrets as the film main film, rather than a source to find another treasure. The once scene with the book was kickass, and makes me think it would have been a lot cooler if someone stole the book. Though I suppose you couldnt use this crew then, but it would make a cool movie.

And Im certainly disappointed with the action in the movie. The first was really good.
-Scene in the ship
-Car Chase with the girl in the bad guys vehicle (Good chase)
-Chase through Philadelphia (Really good scene)
-Leaping into the hudson
-And the stairs breaking scene

This film on the other hand had really only one scene that could be called an action scene, the car chase, which was all right at best. The 2nd car chase was a brief getaway, and the third action scene was about the balance thing, which was by no means as interesting as the stairs in the first, and kind of dragged out as well. Cage didn't even run in the movie which was surprising.

For a Bruckheimer film, thats very disappointing.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 pm
Sbil

Not much to say here. If you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one. Granted, I liked the first one more; it felt less tedious and repetitive than this one sometimes does. It's the kind of movie you enjoy and not much else, and while you may forget about it 10 minutes later, it provides a decently enjoyable time at the movies. B-

Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:53 am
Full Fledged Member

I was disappointed by this. The first problem was that Thomas Gates' name being cleared wasn't that compelling of a plotline to me, and the pacing at the very beginning was really strange. The early clues were beyond ridiculous. The first film had some outrageous scenarios, yes, but the internal logic was solid and flowed smoothly. I didn't know what the hell was going on half the time in this one, and on top of that I didn't care at all about the Gates', Benjamin or Patrick, marital problems. The Civil War scene was neat, and there were some decent laughs, although most of Riley's one-liners were ham-fisted and unfunny.

C+

Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:35 am
He didn't look busy?!

Wow, I was actually quite surprised by this. Unlike Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, this Disney-Bruckheimer sequel to a surprise hit didn't do anything stupid - anything beyond what it could handle - it played things by the rules that made the original so popular, and in that it works. But what TRULY makes this just as satisfying an experience as the original was is its ability to take the same formula and ultimately do very different things with it. Yes, it's another National Treasure, but the way things progress is completely different from how the original progressed. They make the smart decision to give ALL the characters some sort of story, from the relationship of Benjamin's parents to his own relationship with his girlfriend to Riley's disappointment over being regarded as "Ben's assistant" to the Ed Harris character wanting some fame for himself.

Nic Cage actually gets to do some acting here (!) and he has some truly funny moments, unlike the last film where all the humor belonged to Justin Bartha. Mirren and Harris are solid additions to the cast, their noble presences adding to the fun of it all. The story does get a bit ridiculous at points, and there are a lot of awfully helpful things that move the story along [it's mostly how Ben simply knows every single thing about history and can use it to make what should turn into a long research project a simple memory check, as well as how Harris and his gang have Ben's cellphone conveniently at their disposal]. But really, I don't see how it's possible not to enjoy yourself, even if you absolutely hate the story. This is a movie made for nothing but entertainment value, it doesn't take any dumb risks, and ultimately it all pays off.

B+

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:03 am
Profile WWW

I will certainly have mixed feelings going into this film Wednesday.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:19 am

Ludovician wrote:
I was disappointed by this. The first problem was that Thomas Gates' name being cleared wasn't that compelling of a plotline to me, and the pacing at the very beginning was really strange. The early clues were beyond ridiculous. The first film had some outrageous scenarios, yes, but the internal logic was solid and flowed smoothly. I didn't know what the hell was going on half the time in this one, and on top of that I didn't care at all about the Gates', Benjamin or Patrick, marital problems. The Civil War scene was neat, and there were some decent laughs, although most of Riley's one-liners were ham-fisted and unfunny.

C+

Welcome!

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

B/B-. The first film is amongst one of my biggest guilty pleasure, and is a lot of fun ( I give the first, a B+). Thing with the first, as unrealistic as it was it felt like it had some truth and believeability. This one, is just pure nonsense.. scoring some unintentional laughs through out just because it's so ridiculous. Ridiculous, yet so much fun. This film doesn't take itself too serioulsy ( "We make our living on ridiclous", that line speaks for itself). The cast is great, Nic Cage and his wig do a fine job. Diane Kruger's character is poorly developed but she is good. Justin Bartha isn't as witty as he was in the first but fine. Helen Mirrin does a great job, add's class and some laughs to the film. Really enjoyed her.. the rest of the cast was fine. It's beautifully shot, from London to Paris, loved it. Agian, incredibly over the top , you need to leave your brain not at the door, but at home. Trust me, turn it off completely because you'll radle yourself trying to even fatham the idea's. It's not as good as the first, but still enjoyable. Side note: If I see Nic Cage, light another tomb with his torch one more time, I'll burst. Come on..

Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:52 am
htm

The first one is a masterpiece compared to this wreck.

I really wish it would've at least been fun like the first one.

I don't really have anything to add... I just wasn't impressed. Even with low expectations/mindless fun goggles turned on.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:16 pm
Forum General

zennier wrote:
The first one is a masterpiece compared to this wreck.

I really wish it would've at least been fun like the first one.

I don't really have anything to add... I just wasn't impressed. Even with low expectations/mindless fun goggles turned on.

agreed. I watched Da vinci code just 3 hours ago and that is a much much better movie.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

honestly, i don't see what the first film had that this didn't. this was made with a nearly identical balance of history, humor, action, and romance - didn't take itself seriously just as the last one didn't - and even though the stories were different, they were identical in structure and were quite similar in terms of how they ended [although i will admit the death was unnecessary]. I could see someone giving one a B and the other a C+ or C at the worst, but I don't see how you could really like one and hate the other.

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:12 am
Profile WWW

billybobwashere wrote:
honestly, i don't see what the first film had that this didn't. this was made with a nearly identical balance of history, humor, action, and romance - didn't take itself seriously just as the last one didn't - and even though the stories were different, they were identical in structure and were quite similar in terms of how they ended [although i will admit the death was unnecessary]. I could see someone giving one a B and the other a C+ or C at the worst, but I don't see how you could really like one and hate the other.

Like said, its a lot like the first, but everything pales.

The History was much more interesting with the Masons and the conspiracy of the treasure
The Humor was basically the same, though a little more misfires than last time around
The Action like said, was a car chase, a quick getaway, and a balance act. A lot like the first, but not as exciting in anyway
The Romance was not as good, they seemed to hate each other, then they when back together they were fine. Them in the first was much better.
The Villain- Sean Bean was awesome, Ed Harris did the best he could do with what he was given. He did all this to "give his unknown family name honor?" What the hell is that? His apology was so stupid.

With all the problems, a half assed remake of the original was still entertaining enough to get through unscathed.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next