Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 West Side Story (2021) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

West Side Story (2021) 
Keeping it Light

Post West Side Story (2021)

Quote:
West Side Story is a 2021 American musical romantic drama film directed by Steven Spielberg from a screenplay by Tony Kushner. The film is the second feature-length adaptation of the 1957 stage musical of the same name with a book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, and choreography by Jerome Robbins. It stars Ansel Elgort and Rachel Zegler (in her feature film debut) with Ariana DeBose, David Alvarez, Mike Faist, and Rita Moreno in supporting roles. Moreno, who appeared in the 1961 film adaptation, is also an executive producer, alongside Kushner.

The film started development in 2014 by 20th Century Fox and Kushner started writing the screenplay in 2017. In January 2018, Spielberg was hired and casting began by September 2018. Justin Peck choreographed the dance sequences. Filming began in July 2019 and wrapped up two months later. Shooting occurred in New York and New Jersey.

West Side Story had its world premiere at Jazz at Lincoln Center's Rose Theater in New York City on November 29, 2021.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:06 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: West Side Story (2021)
This was really good - it's not some flawless masterpiece like some of the reviews are stating but it is handsomely mounted and probably Spielberg's best directed film in years. Some of the musical sequences are absolutely incredible showstoppers which will make this hard to forget for those alone ("America" and "A Boy Like That" were my favorites). The opening scene is well done but honestly the movie really picks up steam with the introduction of Rachel Zegler as Maria, who is really fantastic and lives up to the hype in a star-making performance. Equally matching her is a breakout turn from Ariana DeBose as Anita who has a fiery charisma that lights up the screen - her final few scenes are also heartbreaking. Both of them would be on my shortlist for the year's best performances - David Alvarez is also worth mentioning as he's fantastic (and an incredible dancer - wow). The rest of the ensemble is very good and gives it their all though I found Ansel Elgort a little bland for the leading man here.

I had some issues with this but most of them lie in the source material - I hated the Jets gang and every scene with them for me was an annoying, colossal drag (especially their comedic number in the police station). Also there's a hugely annoying and obnoxious wannabe Jet character that is made trans in this version - the performance by the actor is bad though and it feels like a token way to shoehorn in more representation the way it is written.

Overall though this is a very good movie. I think it stands a shot at winning Best Picture because it checks all the boxes for awards voters, and it absolutely deserves to be seen on a big screen. B+

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

I loved this. As someone who didnt know too much about the original musical before seeing it I was NOT expecting how dark this got :funny: but it was paced very well for a 2.5 hour movie and the whole cast is amazing. Ansel Elgort was the main reason I went to see this and he did not disappoint at all and played Tony wonderfully. Rachel Zegler was stupendous as well as Maria and I hope she has a bright, bright future in Hollywood, and Ariana Debose and Rita Moreno are highlights as well as Anita and Riff, but the whole cast was amazing. I wouldn’t be surprised at some Oscars for this for the whole cast and wouldn’t be upset to see it! The musical numbers didn’t detract from the storyline either, though I was surprised how much Spanish there was spoken in the film, I knew there wouldn’t be subtitles but a solid chunk of the film is spoken in Spanish and I will say it does take some getting used to at first

Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:20 am
Star Trek XI

thompsoncory wrote:
. Also there's a hugely annoying and obnoxious wannabe Jet character that is made trans in this version - the performance by the actor is bad though and it feels like a token way to shoehorn in more representation the way it is written.

I thought he actually was part of the Jets, but I understand about that, I didn’t know they weren’t trans in the original

Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:23 am
Wallflower

j_forest23 wrote:
I was surprised how much Spanish there was spoken in the film, I knew there wouldn’t be subtitles but a solid chunk of the film is spoken in Spanish and I will say it does take some getting used to at first

I didn't hear about that until this week and while I understand why he did it I think it's a poor decision. If it weren't such a big chunk of the dialogue it wouldn't be so bad but it's going to be really annoying not understanding such a large amount of what's being spoken. Makes me want to not even go see it and just wait for the blu-ray in the hopes that there will be an option for subtitles.

Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:55 am
Star Trek XI

Magic Mike wrote:
j_forest23 wrote:
I was surprised how much Spanish there was spoken in the film, I knew there wouldn’t be subtitles but a solid chunk of the film is spoken in Spanish and I will say it does take some getting used to at first

I didn't hear about that until this week and while I understand why he did it I think it's a poor decision. If it weren't such a big chunk of the dialogue it wouldn't be so bad but it's going to be really annoying not understanding such a large amount of what's being spoken. Makes me want to not even go see it and just wait for the blu-ray in the hopes that there will be an option for subtitles.

It doesn’t detract too much imo and you can understand what’s going on for the most part and what they’re talking about

Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:29 pm
Hold the door!

This was impeccably made and cast, very entertaining and involving. However, it does feel very similar to the 1961 film, so much so that it was hard to get that excited about it. Though the performances and filmmaking here are better and I’d watch this over that now that this exists.

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm
Wallflower

I saw this not having seen the original or knowing where the story went. I didn't know it was based on Romeo & Juliet. When

*******************************SPOILERS**************************************

Maria quickly forgives Tony (she shouldn't have forgiven him at all) and sleeps with him I wanted to throw up my popcorn. This didn't make any sense. That really is something you shouldn't be able to get past. Especially not as quickly as she does. If she hated her brother it would be more understandable but she didn't. How could you be more concerned about the fate of the guy who just killed him over the fact that he, you know, murdered him? After this the movie fully didn't work for me. I thought Maria was an idiot and the character's reaction unrealistic. I honestly would have preferred if they somehow updated the story to make her character stronger and not so pathetic. I was just so annoyed after.

********************************END SPOILERS*********************************

It's well-crafted but the romance just didn't work for me. I also found the Jets pretty insufferable and every scene with them was a chore to watch. Especially the never-ending jailhouse scene. Unfortunately they're in the movie a lot. There are some gorgeously shot scenes in it and Rachel Zegler is really good despite me hating her character. Ariana DeBose was wonderful too. But it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

5/10 ( C )

Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:30 pm
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I had some issues with this but most of them lie in the source material - I hated the Jets gang and every scene with them for me was an annoying, colossal drag (especially their comedic number in the police station). Also there's a hugely annoying and obnoxious wannabe Jet character that is made trans in this version - the performance by the actor is bad though and it feels like a token way to shoehorn in more representation the way it is written.

I had the same issues. I really disliked the portrayal of the trans character. They came across really creepy always skulking around. It was kind of embarrassing. From what I read though they're trans in the original too but they just didn't have a word for it then.

Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:40 pm
Star Trek XI

Magic Mike wrote:
I saw this not having seen the original or knowing where the story went. I didn't know it was based on Romeo & Juliet. When

*******************************SPOILERS**************************************

Maria quickly forgives Tony (she shouldn't have forgiven him at all) and sleeps with him I wanted to throw up my popcorn. This didn't make any sense. That really is something you shouldn't be able to get past. Especially not as quickly as she does. If she hated her brother it would be more understandable but she didn't. How could you be more concerned about the fate of the guy who just killed him over the fact that he, you know, murdered him? After this the movie fully didn't work for me. I thought Maria was an idiot and the character's reaction unrealistic. I honestly would have preferred if they somehow updated the story to make her character stronger and not so pathetic. I was just so annoyed after.

********************************END SPOILERS*********************************
It's well-crafted but the romance just didn't work for me. I also found the Jets pretty insufferable and every scene with them was a chore to watch. Especially the never-ending jailhouse scene. Unfortunately they're in the movie a lot. There are some gorgeously shot scenes in it and Rachel Zegler is really good despite me hating her character. Ariana DeBose was wonderful too. But it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

5/10 ( C )

I also didn’t know where the story went -I knew it was based on Shakespeare but forgot it was Romeo and Juliet, I did think it was strange that she forgave him so fast but I also think that a. She didn’t seem to be THAT close to him (which doesn’t excuse what Tony did) and b. I think she knew that Tony was going there specifically to break the fight up and didn’t go in with the intent to hurt, let alone murder, anybody. It doesn’t excuse what he did, of course, but I found it truly beyond sad that the rumble ended up the way that it did, I wasn’t expecting this to be such a downer and it definitely hit me hard :funny: I thought Ansel and the whole cast did sensationally in their roles

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:10 pm
Wallflower

Spoiler: show
Whether he intended it or not I just found it really gross that she'd sleep with him so soon after killing her brother. That was very baffling.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:48 pm
Star Trek XI

Yeah I understand, I didn’t realize the story only took place in only about 2 days

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:35 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The same problems as Mike and I agree with cory this is one of the best directed Spielberg movie in years. Its full of energy and balances his signature touch with amazing setpieces very well. Its also a must watch on big screens specially songs like "America". The problems are definitely the source material, the love story is non-existent even though the leads try hard, Jets...ugh, the forgiving (even though the accompaning song was brilliant), the end. Too many things to overcome I just wish they have made some changes in story.

B-

Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 am
Wallflower

If he was going to update it he should have made it his own and implemented some much needed changes.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:32 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magic Mike wrote:
If he was going to update it he should have made it his own and implemented some much needed changes.

Would have been great in this case. Hope this does not win big at Oscars.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:51 am
Hold the door!

Should’ve kept all the songs but updated the script.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:59 am
Hold the door!

Watched this again on Disney Plus and the dancing and staging of everything is absolutely mesmerizing. Too bad the achievements this film made on a technical level aren't appreciated due to its remake status.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:08 am
The Kramer

I watched like half of this last night, might finish it might not. The two leads are a cute couple but every scene that did not have them on screen together was a major chore. All the songs were annoying and the faded out look does nothing for non-boomers. Spielberg tried so hard to make a classic musical but forgot that classic musicals stink. Denis' oscar run died for this?

...I'm not probably not gonna finish it. Why torture oneself just to give a bad grade?

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:22 pm
Hold the door!

Yeah, if you don't like musicals this would be a chore at 2 hours 36 minutes.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]