Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Encanto 

Rate this film:
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Encanto 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Encanto
Quote:
Encanto is a 2021 American computer-animated musical fantasy comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.[3][4] The 60th film produced by the studio, it is directed by Byron Howard and Jared Bush, co-directed by Charise Castro Smith, and produced by Clark Spencer and Yvett Merino, with original songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The film stars the voices of Stephanie Beatriz, John Leguizamo, María Cecilia Botero, Diane Guerrero, Jessica Darrow, Angie Cepeda, and Wilmer Valderrama.

Encanto premiered at the El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles on November 3, 2021, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 24, 2021, in 2D, RealD 3D, and Dolby Cinema formats. The film has received generally positive reviews from critics.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Encanto
Enjoyed it very much. Songs? Meh. Everything else is well done and I found the story engrossing.

my ranking of the new age of Disney...

Zootopia
Tangled
Wreck-It-Ralph
Encanto
Moana
Raya and the Last Dragon
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Frozen 2
Ralph Breaks the Internet

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:12 am
Hold the door!

Every single time a Disney movie comes out people say the songs are meh, and then they're popular down the line. Only song I remember people loving off the bat was Let It Go. Reviews for Frozen said the songs except for it were forgettable. Reviews for Moana said the soundtrack was forgettable. Initial reviews for Greatest Showman said the soundtrack was forgettable.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 am
Hold the door!

We Don't Talk About Bruno is an all time great Disney song. Liked all the songs except the spanish ones.

So little of the film is revealed in the trailer. Could've done with a little less jokiness and could've taken the story more seriously, and they could've had something on par with the renaissance. As it is, it's probably better from a story perspective of anything since Tangled.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
Every single time a Disney movie comes out people say the songs are meh, and then they're popular down the line. Only song I remember people loving off the bat was Let It Go. Reviews for Frozen said the songs except for it were forgettable. Reviews for Moana said the soundtrack was forgettable. Initial reviews for Greatest Showman said the soundtrack was forgettable.

Moana's strength was it's soundtrack but it wasn't as great as Frozen. TGS wasn't Disney...

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:46 am
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Moana's strength was it's soundtrack but it wasn't as great as Frozen. TGS wasn't Disney...
I was just using it as another example. I just feel like soundtracks are generally growers and its unfair to compare new songs to songs that have in some cases been around for 30 years like the renaissance songs, or even just 5 years if you're comparing to Moana

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:01 am
Extraordinary

The songs were meh to me. On first viewing songs like Let It Go and How Far I'll Go immediately resonated. Here, no.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 am
Hold the door!

Exactly, and now years later a lot more than just those songs are considered great from those films, like You're Welcome, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman? Etc

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

To you????

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:26 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
To you????

No in general.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
To you????

No in general.

No

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:40 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
To you????

No in general.

No

Yes.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:48 pm
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
What? How Far I Go and You're Welcome were both smashes right out of the gate.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:31 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
What? How Far I Go and You're Welcome were both smashes right out of the gate.

I didn't remember many reviews praising You're Welcome. I specifically remember thompsoncory saying "the soundtrack sucks except How Far I'll go"

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:49 pm
Extraordinary

Yeah all the songs mentioned from other films are memorable. Here? The first song about the Madrigals, the Bruno one and the one with the sisters are not. Idk I've only heard them once but I don't have a desire to listen to them again.

But even then I still liked the movie very much.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:50 pm
Hold the door!

the Bruno song is so good, as is surface pressure. The rest are decent, if not favorites.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
To you????

No in general.

No

Yes.

No!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:43 pm
The Kramer

I think this movie could have gone on for another hour and been better off for it. Weird to say about an animated film. but feels like the ending comes on pretty abruptly. I would have been down for another couple songs and a grander finale. Otherwise it is the usual very high quality Disneyfilm. Laughs and cheers to go along with engaging characters and adorable animals. An expertly built world where the viewer wonders if they'd be better off without the magic. But it turns out that setting reasonable expectations for ourselves is the greatest gift of all.

A

Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

This was an excellent example of a film that is great, excellent, in practically every part of filmmaking (plot, structure, dialogue, visuals, the conflict and resolution, etc.), except for one--its scenes, or rather, lack thereof!

There is a definitive beginning, middle, and end, and all these excel, but there are scenes lacking between each part. It goes from beginning to middle to end quite abruptly (middle to end, especially). If there were just one or two additional scenes that better connecting them, I'd be willing to call this Walt Disney Animation's best film of this era.

Thankfully, I suppose, everything shown is excellent as mentioned, so can't exactly dislike it. Rather, I pretty much loved about everything we're given. A-. (But could have been an easy A if only a one or two scenes were added.)

Dos Oruguitas and We Don't Talk About Bruno were my favorite songs. Enjoyed all the others except for Waiting for a Miracle (just too "generic ballad", not unlike Anna's song in Frozen II in that sense).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I was correct about the music, both We Don’t Talk About Bruno and Surface Pressure are becoming big hits on streaming.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:28 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
I was correct about the music, both We Don’t Talk About Bruno and Surface Pressure are becoming big hits on streaming.

Wow!!!

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:54 am
The Kramer

Is it correct that Disney only submitted the spanish songs for awards contention? Odd choice. Might still win but I was expecting two or three tracks to get nominated. It's not like there's much else out there.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:12 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Is it correct that Disney only submitted the spanish songs for awards contention? Odd choice. Might still win but I was expecting two or three tracks to get nominated. It's not like there's much else out there.

Yeah, they only submitted Dos Orugitas as to not split the vote. They probably submitted the Spanish song because submitting the English song would promote white supremacy or something.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:42 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I've probably contributed to half of the streaming numbers for Bruno. I think it's my favorite Disney song since a few from the Renaissance era.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:24 am
Profile WWW

Surprised to hear a few of hate on the songs. We Don’t Talk About Bruno fucking slaps. I’d argue the music is one of the best parts of the movie
I agree with Flava and Corpse though, despite already being a long movie, these needed to be longer. How abrupt the movie moves from act to act is easily the downfall of what would otherwise be their best movie since Frozen (still might be)

Last edited by Darth Indiana Bond on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next