Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Tick, Tick... Boom! 

Rate this film:
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Tick, Tick... Boom! 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Tick, Tick... Boom!
Quote:
Tick, Tick... Boom! (styled as tick, tick... BOOM!) is a musical written by American composer Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick... Boom! tells the story of an aspiring composer named Jon, who lives in New York City in 1990. Jon is worried he has made the wrong career choice to be part of the performing arts. The story is autobiographical, as stated by Larson's father in the liner notes of the cast recording – Larson had been trying to establish himself in theater since the early 1980s.

Larson began to perform the piece as a solo work in 1990. After his death, in 1996, it was revised and revamped by playwright David Auburn as a three-actor piece and was premiered Off-Broadway in 2001.[1] Since then, the show has had an Off West End production, a West End production, an American national tour, two Off-Broadway revivals, in 2014 and 2016, and numerous local and international productions.

A film adaptation, directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda and starring Andrew Garfield in the lead role, was released on Netflix in November 2021.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:21 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Tick, Tick... Boom!
This was excellent and Andrew Garfield was absolutely fantastic - maybe the year's best male lead performance. I'm glad I saw it in a theater, it was a hugely cinematic experience - crowd-pleasing and emotional. A

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:27 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I watched this again with my family last night and loved it even more. Garfield gives the performance of the year. I can't believe this isn't doing well on Netflix as opposed to shit like Bruised. Deserved a proper rollout from another distributor. My family loved it too and my mom thought it was amazing.

The "Come To Your Senses" scene is also goosebump inducing. The music is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hlTdLsgSMQ

I really hope Netflix prioritizes this in their campaigning.

Last edited by thompsoncory on Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:33 am
Profile YIM
Waitress in LA

thompsoncory wrote:
I watched this again with my family last night and loved it even more. Garfield gives the performance of the year. I can't believe this isn't doing well on Netflix as opposed to shit like Bruised. Deserved a proper rollout from another distributor. My family loved it too and my mom thought it was amazing.

The "Come To Your Senses" scene is also goosebump inducing. The music is incredible.

I really hope Netflix prioritizes this in their campaigning.

I watched it too, and the feeling I get is that it probably would have been a smarter theater release than Dear Evan Hanson, (even though it has no "priors").

I think it has the perfect musical theater kind of vibe, with enough of a straightforward story that certain regular audiences can appreciate it as well.

I mean, I liked it a lot, and I don't think I've ever watched a proper musical before.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:10 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Surprised no one else here has watched this.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:01 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

I have been defering watching this for quite sometime now. Possibly this weekend.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:38 pm
Sbil

Wonderful and electric! The film packs such an emotional wallop by the end that it’s nearly impossible to resist. By the nature of both Jonathan Larson’s work and Lin-Manuel Miranda’s confident direction, the film is an intimate affair that envelops you like a warm hug. Of course, much of the emotional impact comes from knowing the tragedy of Larson never living to see his success finally realized. There’s an extra air of prophetic devastation from knowing he really was running out of time.

Andrew Garfield gives a spectacular tour de force performance and would probably get my vote for Best Actor at this point. He fully inhabits Larson with depth and humanity that jumps off the screen. He’s a great singer too and the film really soars because of him. That said, Robin de Jesus is wonderful and Alexandra Shipp does a lot with her underwritten role.

I don’t know that it was perfect but CODA is the only other movie this year that provoked such an emotional reaction in me. Will be bumping the soundtrack a lot the next few days, especially “30/90” and “Come to Your Senses.” Come through with that Oscar nom for Garfield!

A-

Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:24 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This I think is my favorite film of the year, I can't stop thinking about it and the "warm hug" analogy is spot on. Lin really did a great job and I think knew exactly how to transition this piece to the screen.

Obsessed with the soundtrack too. "30/90," "Come To Your Senses," "Johnny Can't Decide," "Louder Than Words" and "Swimming" are on repeat. "Why" is incredible too but heartbreaking.

The industry seems to LOVE this movie by the way, unanimous praise and everyone I've spoken to adores it and goes out of their way to say so (even a lot of folks that don't typically like musicals). I think it's a dark horse not only for Garfield but a lot of other categories this awards season, it's being seen by the right people.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:34 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked it but didn't love it. Andrew Garfield is REALLY GOOD in here but I felt Lin went through the regular musical tropes with a script and actors that had lot more to give. The entire cast is great here but Garfield just sparkles the screen. Songs are great as well but I'm not a big fan of Lin's overly wordy song style.

B

Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:52 am
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I liked it but didn't love it. Andrew Garfield is REALLY GOOD in here but I felt Lin went through the regular musical tropes with a script and actors that had lot more to give. The entire cast is great here but Garfield just sparkles the screen. Songs are great as well but I'm not a big fan of Lin's overly wordy song style.

B

They’re not his songs, they’re Jonathan Larson songs. Lin only directed.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:56 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ok then I'm not a fan of that...

Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:57 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I really think Andrew might be the Best Actor frontrunner, I was at a guild screening of West Side Story tonight and overheard many raving about his performance and the film - one guy kept saying "mesmeric."

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Don’t know if this would have rewatch value for me, but I found this very entertaining and engaging the whole way through. The soundtrack is good and Garfield gives an incredibly interesting and different performance. Tragic ending.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:17 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've watched this like five times. It's my favorite of 2021 for sure and I keep recommending it to people who all love it when they check it out.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:43 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm watching this again. LOL

Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:55 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

At this pace by the time Oscars roll out you would have seen this 100 times #dedication :thumbsup:

Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]