Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The French Dispatch 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The French Dispatch 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The French Dispatch
Quote:
The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun is a 2021 American comedy-drama anthology film written, directed, and produced by Wes Anderson from a story he conceived with Roman Coppola, Hugo Guinness, and Jason Schwartzman. The film stars an ensemble cast featuring Benicio del Toro, Adrien Brody, Tilda Swinton, Léa Seydoux, Frances McDormand, Timothée Chalamet, Lyna Khoudri, Jeffrey Wright, Mathieu Amalric, Stephen Park, Bill Murray, and Owen Wilson. Its plot follows three different storylines as the French foreign bureau of a fictional Kansas newspaper creates its final issue.

Additional cast members in The French Dispatch include Liev Schreiber, Edward Norton, Willem Dafoe, Saoirse Ronan, Elisabeth Moss, Jason Schwartzman, and Anjelica Huston. The project was first mentioned in August 2018 as an untitled musical set after World War II. That December, the film was officially announced, with Anderson calling it a "love letter to journalists." Filming took place between November 2018 and March 2019, with cinematographer Robert Yeoman, in the city of Angoulême, France. During post-production, editing was completed by Andrew Weisblum and the musical score was composed by Alexandre Desplat.

Following a delay from 2020, The French Dispatch had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on July 12, 2021, and was theatrically released in the United States by Searchlight Pictures on October 22, 2021.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:21 am
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: The French Dispatch
It’s quirky, charming, unique, and frequently amusing. A series of loquaciously narrated vignettes that comes together mostly successfully, although its heart feels a little confused and slightly distant. Not among my favorite Wes Andersons (Grand Budapest Hotel, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou), but a worthwhile and clever diversion.

Last edited by Steve on Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:41 pm
Indiana Jones IV

It’s very B+ / A- territory for me. In the spirit of generosity and with the appreciation of novelty I’ll say A-.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:43 pm
Extraordinary

Quite liked the Benicio Del Toro section. The other two were whatever to me. Overall I thought it was fine but I'm personally not a big fan of Anderson's films for the most part.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:26 am
Hold the door!

This was terrible, I want my $15 back. Impossible to follow what was going on, weirdly sexual and not funny at all. The cast phones it in as well. Anderson has jumped the shark with this type of film.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:18 am
The Kramer

I enjoyed this. Making a faux-newspaper in the form of a film was a clever idea. Like with most anthology films, I had trouble keeping interest during the final segment, but the first few were all pretty good. The Benecio/Brody/Seydoux part was my favorite. Wes Anderson's style works well here, it is a beautiful film and very funny, plus it's fun to watch him continously barrage us with famous people.

B+

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]