Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Last Night in Soho 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

Last Night in Soho 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Last Night in Soho
Quote:
Last Night in Soho is a 2021 British psychological horror thriller film directed by Edgar Wright, with a screenplay by Wright and Krysty Wilson-Cairns, from a story by Wright. The film stars Thomasin McKenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith, and Terence Stamp. The film marks the final film appearances of Diana Rigg and Margaret Nolan, who died in September and October 2020, respectively.

Last Night in Soho had its world premiere at the 78th Venice International Film Festival on 4 September 2021, and is scheduled to be released theatrically in Ireland, the United Kingdom, and the United States on 29 October 2021 by Universal Pictures and Focus Features. The film has received generally positive reviews from critics for its technical achievement and performances of the cast, particularly McKenzie and Taylor Joy. However, the screenplay received polarized reception particularly for its final act and themes.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Last Night in Soho
Super stylish and fun. There's not a lot under the surface here but it is a good time and all the performances are great. B+

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:19 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Yeah the style in this movie is incredible. Every single shot in exquisite, the light is exceptional and Last Night In Soho will likely be my vote for Best Cinematography. Both leads also do a killer job in selling their character's ups and downs. Just an all star directional effort from one of the greatest to do it.

As for the story .. I dunno yet. I think it needs another viewing to determine how well it works. I was 100% with it for at least half the film, but I actually lost a little bit of interest with each additional twist, and didn't really like where it landed.

Spoiler: show
So Sandy was a serial killer, but it's alright since she was only killing horny men (the first guy deserved it. the rest? debatable.) But if Sandy was alive the entire time, how did the time travel work? They set up the rules of the supernatural, but choose to ignore them when conveinant.

I guess if you only focus on the character arcs of the two leads it makes a complete story. Just wish there was more to it, or maybe less to it, still not sure.

Oh and I don't want to sandbox my dude Edgar, but there should have been more comedy in this. Play to your strengths.

A very high B+ ... for now.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:18 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Absolute trainwreck. Jarring shifts in tone, chaotic script, paper-thin characters, uncomfortable and borderline unwatchable. Anya Taylor Joy is a star but she needs to start vetting her scripts more carefully. At least she wasn't the lead.

F

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]