Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Halloween Kills 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Halloween Kills 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Halloween Kills
Quote:
Halloween Kills is a 2021 American slasher film directed by David Gordon Green and written by Green, Danny McBride, and Scott Teems. The film is a sequel to 2018's Halloween and the twelfth installment in the Halloween franchise. The film stars Jamie Lee Curtis and James Jude Courtney, who reprise their roles as Laurie Strode and Michael Myers. Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, and Will Patton also reprise their roles from the previous film, with Anthony Michael Hall and Thomas Mann joining the cast. The film, which begins precisely where the previous film ended, sees Strode and her family continuing to fend off Myers, this time, with the help of the Haddonfield community.

Jason Blum serves as a producer on the film through his Blumhouse Productions banner, alongside Malek Akkad and Bill Block. Before the release of the 2018 film, McBride in June 2018 confirmed that he and Green were originally intending to pitch two films that would be shot back-to-back, and then decided against it, waiting to see the reaction to the first film. Following the critical and commercial success of the 2018 film, development on the sequel promptly began as early as October 2018. By February 2019, Teems was hired to co-write the script. The film's title was officially announced in July 2019, along with its sequel. Principal photography commenced in September 2019 in Wilmington, North Carolina.

Halloween Kills had its world premiere at the 78th Venice International Film Festival on September 8, 2021. Following a year delay due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and was theatrically released in the United States on October 15, 2021, by Universal Pictures; it will also stream on paid tiers of Peacock for 60 days. The film received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the film's creative kills, references, and the performances of the cast, but criticized its screenplay and claimed it didn't add anything new for the franchise.

A direct sequel, Halloween Ends, is scheduled to be released on October 14, 2022

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:30 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Halloween Kills
The 2nd act of this movie is rough. Yikes. Overall I didn't care for this.

Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:51 am
Child Actor

Halloween Kills was disappointing. However, everything regarding Michael I loved: the ferocity, aggression & the kills. James Jude Courtney portrays an unforgiving, relentless badass. The score is good, once again the Carpenters nail the tone of the film.

The acting on the other hand, isn't good. The og characters aren't given much to do and end up wasted. Tommy Doyle gets a lot of dialogue, but it's all "rallying the troop" speeches to unite Haddonfield to take down evil. Laurie, Karen and Allyson should be the focus - but are instead just side characters. The rest of the characters make some silly, unlogical decisions that either lead directly to their death or the death of others. Many of the situations are predictable on top of that.

There is basically no story whatsoever, it's literally Haddonfield uniting to take out Michael. So, for much of the film it just meanders & goes nowhere while Michael slays. There is also a noticeable lack of tension or atmosphere for much of the movie as well. There are a few scenes nicely done. There isn't a lead character either, which compounds the problem. Finally, the ending did not sit well with me at all. My expectation going in was for it to at least match the 2018 film, but Kills falls short.

C-

Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:44 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I didn't love the original so that being said I found this entertaining. At least the dreadful podcasters were gone. Some cool kills and a nice setup for the third and final film. B-

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:33 pm
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

Not OK to sideline your Final Girl for like 90% of your running time. But this sets up an iconic final battle for Halloween Ends. Thia is even more personal now that He killrd Laurie's daughter.
B-

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:39 pm
The Kramer

The first film had a ton of potential, and while mostly good, fell short on following through with the ideas it presented. What is the nature of evil? Halloween Kills continues this train of thought, though once again loses interest in it before the end, though this movie has a whole bunch of other issues as well.

It almost plays like a Friday the 13th more than a Halloween. Sure, there was always the bits where Michael was 'punishing' people for having sex, but I never thought the characters in the first (78) or even the remake deserved to die. These people are not only way too dumb to survive a night with Myers, but so fucking arrogant that it makes you root against them. We have strength in numbers! This line is said over and over throughout the movie by people who then later choose to challenge Michael to a one on one fight. They all think that THEY are the ONE who will stop evil for good. Good luck with that. Yet the movie also doesn't let you enjoy their deaths. Judy Greer is the only one who has any sense in this movie, for 99% of the run time at least. "We set the trap, we shot him in the face, we set him on fire and he walked out like nothing happened. WTF is a baseball bat going to do?" She is asking the questions for the audience. But it only takes one mistake in the world of Halloween, and unfortunately trying to understand the nature of evil is a big mistake in this universe.

So that's why the ending kinda ruined the film for me. If Judy had used her wit to temporarily defeat Micheal and make it to the next movie, like her mum in the 2018 version, that would've been a somewhat satisfying ending. I also liked how they simplfied Myer's motivation. Laurie, like the rest of these schmucks, is so arrogant to think that Michael is only after her, and is partially responsible for the other escapees suicide. But really, this monster of a man just wants to go home and stare out of his window. That's all he desires, and he will kill anyone who is in his way. Laurie's PTSD and delusions of grandeur has infect the whole town and get a ton of people killed. Not exactly a character I want to root for in the big finale, but hey, we needed a shocking scene at the end so let's take the one level-headed character off the board!

The intensity, the brutality, the craftmanship and the music all hold up well in Halloween Kills. The script just never sells itself as needed though. This should have been a two film series, like they originally planned, but I'm still disappointed that Danny McBride and David Gordon Green couldn't have come up with something better than this. C-

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Same as what other say here. It has technical bits nailed down but the story never builds to anything other than the final failed attempt.

C-

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:22 pm
Sbil

The true hero of this franchise is the woman from the brain dead Haddonfield vigilante mob (seriously, how many brain cells did these people have combined?) who brought an unplugged iron to end Michael Myers:

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:32 pm
The Kramer

Right? I know the firefighters didn't have much luck with the chainsaw and axes, but that's still the way to go. Michael can't do much harm if he doesn't have arms or legs right?

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 pm
Superfreak

The flashback to 1978 scenes were quite good but otherwise, this was all sorts of cringe. Pretty surprised at how bad it was. Halloween 2018 was a mixed bag for me but this sucked. The scenes with the fireman and the mob are beyond dumb. What were they thinking?

Libs wrote:
The true hero of this franchise is the woman from the brain dead Haddonfield vigilante mob (seriously, how many brain cells did these people have combined?) who brought an unplugged iron to end Michael Myers:

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 pm
Angels & Demons

Halloween Kills was quite the ride, I really like James Jude Courtney's Michael Myers as a brutal, merciless killer who has an unquenchable blood lust on his journey back home to Lampkin Lane. This feels more brutal to me than even the Rob Zombie Halloween films, because in that film all the characters sucked and were terrible people, so I didn't really care when they died. Whereas, here I actually wanted the characters to survive.

Of course, I kind of wanted to see the amazing gore and practical effects in this film. The kills are great here, as they should be in a slasher movie! The 1978 flashback is also done really well with the practical Lumis being a great way to give us his character as a cameo even after the tragic passing of Donald Pleasence back in 1995.

I think the choice to kill off Karen Strode was good, it makes the last entry more personal and Allison has even more motivation to get the final blows on Michael after he killed her Dad, Mom and Boyfriend in the same damn night. I would like to see Laurie and Allison work together to kill Michael in Halloween Ends.

I'm not too sure what people were expecting with this film, to be honest, it's a great slasher movie with loads of blood, gore and some great side characters. If people want a meticulous plot and smart characters they probably shouldn't be watching most horror films.

A-

This is my fourth favourite Halloween film after Halloween (1978) A, Halloween II (1981) A- and Halloween (2018) A-

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am
Devil's Advocate

Solid enough Halloween entry. David Gordon Green's directing skills come in handy again in the Myers kills scenes and the guy playing him does good physical acting. I didn't like the hospital scenes and the other escaped patient, and none of the victims seem too interested in surviving in this (eg. Little John, dude, just let Michael go instead of saying "You came home") Michael killing the entire mob and then Greer happening so fast and with monologue/slow motion kind of ruined what could've been a more exciting climax, once Laurie started talking about how inevitable he is you knew he was going to win easily. Nevertheless as a middle film before the big 3rd film it works well enough.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]