Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Guilty (2021) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Guilty (2021) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Guilty (2021)
Quote:
The Guilty is a 2021 American crime thriller film directed and produced by Antoine Fuqua, from a screenplay by Nic Pizzolatto. A remake of the 2018 Danish film of the same name, the film stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Christina Vidal, with the voices of Ethan Hawke, Riley Keough, Eli Goree, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Paul Dano, and Peter Sarsgaard.

The Guilty had its world premiere at the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival on September 11, 2021. The film was released in a limited release on September 24, 2021, then digitally on Netflix on October 1. It received mostly positive reviews from critics, who praised Gyllenhaal's performance, but still felt it was inferior to the original film.

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:27 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Guilty
I thought this was dreadful. Jake Gyllenhaal gives a decent performance but the whole thing is so bland and uninteresting and the vocal performances are straight up bad. D+

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:42 am
Profile YIM
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: The Guilty
thompsoncory wrote:
I thought this was dreadful. Jake Gyllenhaal gives a decent performance but the whole thing is so bland and uninteresting and the vocal performances are straight up bad. D+

Completely agree. And I question the requirement for known names to play voices on a phone :roll:

In the end it’s a cheap, easy to film during a pandemic type film and hence why it’s on Netflix. But even then with talent like Faqua and Jake - this ended up boring and a major miss.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:10 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Guilty (2021)
Same reaction from my end even though my grade is a little higher because of the twist that worked for me. Faqua squanders Jake's talents and makes him look boring without a satisfactory closure in the end.

C

Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:29 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: The Guilty (2021)
I watched this back in October already and apparently didn't review it here yet, but quite liked it actually. It's a solid film, primarily good because of a committed performance from Gyllenhaal. It's not quite as edge of my seat thrilling as it perhaps could be and Fuqua has made better films, it drums along quite nicely. While the layer peeling of Gyllenhaal's past incident and the 911 call he receives are both interesting in the moment, the way the stories are mixed makes the film lack a certain intensity. And while it also ends in a bit of a fizzle, it's strong in brevity and easy to get lost in for a while.

B

Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]