Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Sonic the Hedgehog 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Sonic the Hedgehog 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote:
Sonic the Hedgehog[a] is a 2020 adventure comedy film[6] based on the video game franchise published by Sega. The film is directed by Jeff Fowler (in his feature directorial debut) from a screenplay by Pat Casey and Josh Miller. It also stars James Marsden, Jim Carrey as Doctor Robotnik, and Ben Schwartz as the voice of the title character. In the film, Sonic teams up with a small-town sheriff named Tom as he attempts to escape Dr. Robotnik and the government.

In 2013, Sony Pictures acquired the film rights to the franchise, and by 2014, had a movie adaptation in development. Fowler was hired to direct in 2016. After Sony put the project in turnaround, Paramount Pictures acquired it in 2017, and the majority of the cast had signed on by August 2018. Filming took place between September and October 2018 in Ladysmith and Parksville, both on Vancouver Island, and in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Sonic the Hedgehog was initially scheduled to be released in the United States on November 8, 2019, but after an overwhelmingly negative reaction to the first trailer, Paramount delayed the film to redesign Sonic, whose original design was highly criticized. The redesign was shown in a new trailer which was well-received for its tone and humor, with Sonic's new appearance receiving particular praise.

The film premiered at the Paramount Theatre on January 25, 2020, and was theatrically released in the United States on February 14, 2020. The film received mixed-to-positive reviews from critics, praising the cast performances (particularly Carrey's), Sonic's design, and its faithfulness to the source material, but criticizing the plot.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:40 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Sonic the Hedgehog
Biggest laugh out of me was the Olive Garden plug.

The movie was better than I was expecting. Nothing great but an easy watch that feels like a 90s movie, especially Jim Carrey, so sad he's not in more movies.

Kudos to the team for the redesign though.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:45 am
Forum General

Yeah I actually had a good time with this one as well and it's a lot better than I was expecting it to be over a year ago. Jim Carrey is so much fun here, and the Sonic action sequences are pretty well done IMO even if the CGI doesn't always look great at times. Loved the after credits scenes too, especially the second one.

B

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:53 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was as generic as they come these days. There was so much potential here but they squander most emotional build-ups for cheap laughs. The big finale was chopped and became incoherent though both the leads lift this movie throughout. Carrey was so good/great but I somehow wasn't able to connect with his character due to lack of plausible background story or redemption arc. He was just another colorful maniac with technology and gadgets. This shtick has been done better in a lot of better products, and most of them have been inspired by Carrey's past characters.

I spotted teeth in one of the scenes during finale but still a good job on redesign and action scenes are great, specially the car chase in middle.

Loved Marsden in this; one of his better roles recently in movies. Ben Schwartz was perfect in bringing out the teen spirit of the Hedgehog through his voice. I just cannot imagine the movie working without his energy throughout. There was so much more potential with this movie to do well but I felt it was chopped. A bit more time for the heavy parts and this would have been a great product. I hope with inevitable next installment we get a better script (that is not chopped) and Carrey gets a better arc as well (would love to see him help the heroes in some manner against a bigger threat).

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:32 am
Wallflower

It's enjoyable. I liked Marsden in it a lot and Carrey was quite good. Pretty sure I only laughed out loud at the scene where he carried him in in the duffle bag.

Anyway I'll watch the sequel.

6/10 (B-)

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 pm
The Kramer

I liked it. If Barry was 10 years old on the Flash TV show it would play a heck of a lot like Sonic the Hedgehog. It's pretty basic, none of the characters develop much from their initial introductions, you know exactly where the plot is going next at all times, they have no shortage of wordplay involving speed, etc... It is a lot of fun though. The car chase in the middle is the highlight, and I got a nostalgic pop anytime they did something from the game (like Russian doll death robots and the first spin attack.) Carrey is going 100%, successfully bringing back the schtick that made him the biggest star in the 90s. And a few lines made me laugh hard, the best being "it's a child but it's not mine."

The end is nice, very heartfelt (though again on a basic level) and I loved the teases for the sequel (T > S IMO.) Hopefully they get to us quick, the faster the better, and I will hurry up and race over to the theater.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:50 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Watched it again and enjoyed it more than last time mostly because I wasn't taking it seriously. Its a lot of fun though I hope it gets a better story next time.

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:47 am
Hold the door!

Missed this last year since I had a general apathy about film for the majority of the early pandemic. Hearing the trailer for the sequel is out today, I checked it out on Paramount Plus. It's fine, it's definitely aimed at children, not as lame as something like Hop or Tom and Jerry but nothing too special either. The special effects are good, and some bits of humor with sonic are decent. Not excited for the sequel but I might watch it if I still have Paramount Plus when it comes to streaming.

Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]