Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Suicide Squad (2021) 

Rate this film:
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

The Suicide Squad (2021) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Suicide Squad (2021)
Quote:
The Suicide Squad is a 2021 American superhero film based on the DC Comics team Suicide Squad. Produced by DC Films, Atlas Entertainment, and The Safran Company, and set for distribution by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is a standalone sequel to Suicide Squad (2016) and the tenth film in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). It was written and directed by James Gunn and stars an ensemble cast including Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, Joel Kinnaman, Sylvester Stallone, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney, and Peter Capaldi. In the film, a task force of convicts are sent to destroy a Nazi-era laboratory and encounter the giant alien Starro.

David Ayer was set to return as director for a Suicide Squad sequel by March 2016, but in December he chose to develop a Gotham City Sirens film instead. Warner Bros. considered several replacement directors before hiring Gavin O'Connor in September 2017. He left by October 2018, and Gunn was hired to write and direct the film after being temporarily fired by Disney and Marvel Studios as the director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023). He drew inspiration from war films and John Ostrander's 1980s Suicide Squad comics, and decided to explore new characters in a story separate from the first film's narrative, though some cast members do return from Suicide Squad. Filming began in Atlanta, Georgia, in September 2019, and concluded in Panama in February 2020.

The Suicide Squad theatrically released in the United Kingdom on July 30, 2021, and is scheduled to release in the United States on August 5, while streaming on HBO Max for a month the following day. The film received positive reviews from critics, who praised Gunn's direction, the visual style, and irreverent humor. Peacemaker, a spin-off television series starring Cena, is set to debut on HBO Max in January 2022.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:43 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Suicide Squad (2021)
Really enjoyed this. The stupid humor really turned me off in the trailers but luckily it's not as rampant in the movie. The main players are all great (though weird John Cena is the one who got a spinoff, didn't really think he was one of the best characters in the film) and the film has good pacing and is entertaining all the way through.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 am
The Kramer

A+

So much more than the Guardians ripoff the trailers tried to sell. Much more like The Avengers and absolutely at the same high quality.

Ratgirl was my favorite, but every main character was likeable and they somehow managed to pull of A Suicide Squad without anyone that the audience would want to see dead. So when the actual deaths come, they are devastating. I can't believe they made me feel sad for fucking Rick Flagg. :funny:

Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:08 pm
Hold the door!

Excellent film, possibly the most entertaining DC EU film to date. Great characters and the action sequences are exciting, even if the story is a bit generic.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:14 pm
Extraordinary

Spoiler: show
Rick Flagg deserved to at least die in a third film... but who knows wtf is gonna happen with this franchise lol

Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:17 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I really hated this. I thought it was actually worse than the first film, which I didn't even like. I only liked the bits with Harley, her fight scene was cool, but Margot was totally underused. The humor was cringe-inducing and the movie was visually ugly and boring. I hated most of the new characters. D+

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:37 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also that joke with Polka Dot Man and his mother was so stupid and they used it 4 times! I wanted to die.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:38 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

The movie is fun but it just goes on and on becoming just one-liners after one-liners that it forgets to tell a compelling story and the central idea reminded me of the original Kingsmen which is good while watching but it's instantly forgetful.

Having said all that it is tons better than the original (which isn't saying much). Gunn keeps things interesting and does his job as a director very well but his writing needed to be tighter and main villain a bit more menacing.

B-

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:41 pm
The Kramer

Bird.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Bug.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:00 pm
The Kramer

New dumb friends!

Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:01 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Old wise men!!

Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:10 pm
Keeping it Light

Just a blast, it's not really possible to completely wash away the previous film, but this is completely fun. Definitely one of the better comic book adaptions overall, and the best DCEU film since MoS.

A-

Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:59 am
Romosexual!

A+ :D :D :D :D

THAT WAS A LOT OF FUN! MORE EMOTIONAL :tears: THAN I THOUGHT IT'D BE! RATCATCHER 2 HAS MY HEART!

The only nitpick I have is
Spoiler: show
I wish Polka-Dot Man had survived :( loved him!

Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:06 am
100% That Bitch

Yeah, Cena stole the damn thing

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:35 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I think I prefer the first one more. Despite all the bi polar signs of classic WB manipulation, the highs are so much better than everything here. Not to say this was bad, it's certainly cohesive from start to finish, and is pretty entertainment. I think my biggest issue is none of the characters ever feel like villains to me. This is more like an Expendables 4, where highest lead is Carl Weathers or Lou Ferrigno. Maybe if Smith played the Flag role (Would have definitely added shock value and Kinnaman is completely one note) or even the obvious cut and paste Elba role, the whole film would have been more elevated emotionally, story wise, even action and comedy wise, this could have been something great. Maybe even an explanation why Flag is on Waller's shit list randomly (And lol, he doesn't care that all the rebels were slaughtered while being rescued, but all of sudden has a conscience on experimentation, my word!)

And the starfish? I mean substitute a horrible CGI finale with another that is more intentional (The team up and stakes were better in the first) And Gunn rips off his own triumph Slither too much.

I said this in another thread. This reminds me of the first two GI Joe movies. both better and worse than the other in head scratching ways.

That being said it's light and airy, the cast is having fun. The action, humor, and soundtrack all seem too familiar. B+ just like the first.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:18 pm
Veteran

I loved SS. Much better than the original (which I liked). Up there with the Snyder Cut version of JL as the best DCEU film. I wouldn't mind a sequel but one directed by James Gunn. Enjoyed the Taika cameo. Pleasant surprise.

Things I liked:

Comedy - dialogue, creature design, deaths
Unashamed introduction to truly ridiculous 'heroes' (Weasel, Shark, etc)
Special FX were top notch
Action played faithfully grounded to real word physics and natural laws
Action scenes
Idris Elba
Characters were fleshed out enough to care

Cons
Wish we got more Polka Dot man :-D

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:01 pm
Extraordinary

After seeing this again, my DCEU ranking:
Zack Snyder's Justice League
Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
The Suicide Squad
BvS Ultimate Edition
Shazam!
Aquaman
Birds of Prey
Wonder Woman 1984
Suicide Squad

Josstice League

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:10 am
The Kramer

-Dope As Fuck
The Suicide Squad

-Great pics
Wonder Woman
Man of Steel

-Better than I thought they’d be
Snyder Cut
Shazam

-Meh
Batman v Superman
Aquaman

-Mehhh
Joker
Suicide Squad
Birds of Prey

-Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
-Justice League
-Wonder Woman 1984

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:39 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Mine would be:

Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman 1984
Shazam
Birds of Prey
Justice League: The Snyder Cut
Justice League
Man Of Steel
Suicide Squad
The Suicide Squad
Aquaman
Joker
Batman V. Superman

I clearly don't like this universe :P I HATED Joker, Aquaman and BvS. This film is also pretty dire but I at least liked moments from it. The only one that I thought was great was Wonder Woman. And I actually really enjoyed the sequel.

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:09 am
Profile YIM
Don't Dream It, Be It

A lot of fun. A lot of style. Felt a tad long, and dragged a bit for me after they leave the freedom fighter camp and the "Operation Harley" start, but besides that, no complaints really. Everyone is having a lot of fun, the comedy is good, the action is over-the-top gory, and the whole team-up dynamic between the characters is so much better than any of DC's efforts so far in this universe. B+.

Wonder Woman A-
The Suicide Squad B+
Shazam B+
Joker B+
Man Of Steel B
Birds of Prey B
Aquaman B
Suicide Squad B-
Batman V. Superman B-
Justice League C

Just need to watch Wonder Woman 1984 now (well, and Snyder's Justice League).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

The delta variant and simultaneous HBO Max release surely proved the difference between what it's going to make and it doing Black Widow numbers.

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:00 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I streamed it, and I've been largely against the same-day release strategy. So it lost our money at the box office, and I'm sure that of many others, too.

Would love to have watched it in theaters, but cases are spiking in my area (highest cases, hospitalizations, etc. since January now) and the vaccination rate is still under 50% here (the state as a whole is a bit better). Thankfully more people are getting the shot in recent weeks though. Husband manages a pharmacy, and he says their location has seen a big uptick this month versus June and July.. I'm vaccinated, but have been since January so the effectiveness is in question, so...not taking the chance, even if it may be miniscule. Got this far already, not tripping up now. Don't want it, and don't want to mistakenly give it to others.

Still buy popcorn at my local theater (sidewalk concessions window) to help them out when we have movie nights though. That's the compromise we'll be doing for a while.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:48 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

A question posed on Ringerverse pod: Is Sebastian the greatest rat in cinema history?

I'm sticking with Remy here. Endgame rat just got lucky. The rest can go away forever.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:04 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well, Sebastian (with friends) saved a city, country, and possibly more. Remy saved a restaurant in Paris.

Sebastian also had a killer score ("Ratism") to go along with his city/country (world?) saving scene:

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next