Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Space Jam: A New Legacy 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
F 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Space Jam: A New Legacy 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Space Jam: A New Legacy
Quote:
Space Jam: A New Legacy is an upcoming American live-action/animated sports comedy film directed by Malcolm D. Lee, serving as a standalone sequel to Space Jam (1996). It will mark the first theatrically-released film to feature the Looney Tunes characters since Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003), and like the previous hybrid films, it will be a combination of live-action, traditional hand-drawn animation, and 3D CGI effects. The film stars basketball player LeBron James as a fictionalized version of himself along with Don Cheadle, Khris Davis, and Sonequa Martin-Green in live-action roles, while Jeff Bergman, Eric Bauza, and Zendaya headline the Looney Tunes voice cast. Set in a shared Warner Bros. virtual space multiverse, the film follows LeBron James teaming up with the Looney Tunes to win a basketball match against digitized champions to rescue his son from Al-G Rhythm.

Talks for a Space Jam successor began after the release of the first film, which Joe Pytka would have returned to direct. Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone signed on as the animation supervisors, but eventually the deal fell through due to Michael Jordan's refusal to return. Several possible spin-offs focusing on other athletes, including Jeff Gordon, Tiger Woods, and Tony Hawk, were also discussed, but never came to fruition. After several years of languishing, a LeBron James-led sequel was officially announced in 2014 with filming beginning under Terence Nance in June 2019 around Los Angeles. After a few weeks into filming, Nance left the project and Lee was hired to replace him in July 2019.

Space Jam: A New Legacy is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. Pictures in the United States on July 16, 2021, both in theaters and on HBO Max for a month after its theatrical release.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:51 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Space Jam: A New Legacy
This was dumb but they got me at the end. :tears:

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:46 am
On autopilot for the summer

I saw that Michel B. Jordan is in this. Is it just a fake out Bill Murray type cameo that people think it's the real MJ and it turns out to be him, and none of the tunes no who it is?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:31 am
The Kramer

Pretty much, except Sylvester is the only one who thinks he is the other Jordan. “i thought he aged gracefully!”

Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:38 am
The Kramer

This movie actually reminded of Suicide Squad in a weird way. The first half of the movie is a complete mess, trying so hard to be cool and funny. Splicing the Looney Toons into real movies could have been a hilarious gag, but instead is mostly just embarassing since the pop culture references is all Space Jam 2 had to offer at that point. Once they get to the main set piece, the game in this case, it is completely servicable entertainment though. And the last 10-15 minutes, starting with Lebron reconciling with his son, are actually quite good. There's a good movie in here somewhere, but rather than fill that out they just dropped in WB references whenever possible.

And again, the ending got me legit misty-eyed.

Spoiler: show
I know they brought Him back, but since the rules of the world are different than the first one, I assumed that He was just a hallucination, a consequence of LeBron spending too much time in the simulation world. His son, nor anyone else, ever became a cartoon like LeBron did, so they wouldn't experience the side effects.

It's like a C- for most of the movie (maybe even lower), but the finale bumps Space Jam 2 up to a C+.

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:36 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I made it about 45 minutes into this before giving up since I felt like I was hallucinating. What a fucking bizarre movie.

Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:35 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

It’s pretty terrible, some of the references are clever, but the basketball game at the end is no fun and has zero excitement to it. Looney Tunes deserve a better movie.

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

That whole smash-cut Austin Powers/Matrix/Casablanca/Mad Max scene was one of the weirdest movie moments I've ever seen. It was what caused me to turn it off.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 am
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

I love that before the basic premise kicks in, this movie posits that Lebron James’ successful 18 year NBA career is due to the fact that he’s a joyless asshole. Then it becomes half a Warner Brothers commercial and half a basketball/video game without rules.

At 115 minutes the movie is basically hell on Earth.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]