Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Tomorrow War 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Tomorrow War 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Tomorrow War
Quote:
The Tomorrow War is a 2021 American military science fiction action film directed by Chris McKay in his live-action directorial debut. It is produced by David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Don Granger, David S. Goyer, Jules Daly, and Adam Kolbrenner, and written by Zach Dean. The film stars Chris Pratt (who also executively produced), Yvonne Strahovski, J. K. Simmons, Betty Gilpin, and follows a group of present-day soldiers who are sent into the future to fight an alien army.

Originally set for theatrical release by Paramount Pictures, the film's distribution rights were acquired by Amazon Studios due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, who digitally released it on July 2, 2021 via Amazon Prime Video. The film received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for the concept, action and performances but criticism aimed towards its derivative execution.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Tomorrow War
I enjoyed this. As a big dumb summer actioner it was entertaining and had some really cool visuals. Chris Pratt and the entire cast was also very good. It goes on a bit too long but it's really fun. Would have been cool to see in a theater which it was clearly intended for. B

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:56 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

thompsoncory wrote:
I enjoyed this. As a big dumb summer actioner it was entertaining and had some really cool visuals. Chris Pratt and the entire cast was also very good. It goes on a bit too long but it's really fun. Would have been cool to see in a theater which it was clearly intended for. B

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on this. Agree with the grade too.

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:14 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

There is some solid alien action and visuals are pretty good but surprisingly the world-building aspects are really bad, rushed and forgotten by third act. Chris Pratt and specially Yvonne Strahovski are really good in this and sell the father-daughter relationship very well (which could have been comical in hands of lesser actors). The dialogues and specially comedy was really poor even though Sam Richardson tries his best, the character seems to be forced rather than used in the story which is same for Simmons as well. The idea and concept are really good and it works well till they come back from the future but then the movies goes on for another 40+ minutes and its just hard to come back from the high of middle act.

C+

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:40 pm
Keeping it Light

It's easy to call this pretty bad, overall it's just some boiler plate alien invasion story spiced up with some time travel with no notable set pieces and the direction is just pretty weak. The cast is also a mixed bag, I don't mind Pratt but I just do not like him/ his character in this, Strahovski is good though and the rest just fills in some thinly written characters. So really, the film has issues, it's uncreative, not very well shot and too long, but at the same time it feels a bit campy and I have a soft spot for sci-fi and therefor I don't think it's that bad of an experience. It just falls right in line with other failed alien films, but in some way that also meant it offered a bit of familiar comfort I could lose myself in as well.

C+

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:31 am
The Kramer

I don't know if I ever got the past the stupidity of the initial concept. Sending soldiers into the future never made any damn sense. They get it right in the end, but the plan all along should have been to gather intelligence from the future to defeat the aliens before the war even starts. Isn't this the main benefit of time travel? Drafting and sending civilians to die in the future was so dumb that I assumed there was going to be a Purge-like plot twist where this was all just a form of population control. The movie never bothers to think that hard though. It is very straight-forward (ironic for a time travel movie) and very serious. They wanted to make an Edge of Tomorrow 2, but instead got Live Die ... Wait a Second Why Are We Dying??

That being said, it was still kind of entertaining during the spectacle scenes. I just tuned out for everything else. Though I did chuckle quite a bit at "there's a question that can save the universe and the answer involves volcanos ... I knew this would happen." And Chris Pratt beating the alien queen with his fists was an appropriately absurd way to end it.

C- / D

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]