Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Unholy 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

The Unholy 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Unholy
Quote:
The Unholy is a 2021 American supernatural horror film written, produced, and directed by Evan Spiliotopoulos (in his directorial debut), based on the 1983 novel Shrine by James Herbert. Produced by Sam Raimi through his Ghost House Pictures banner, it stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Katie Aselton, William Sadler, Diogo Morgado, Cricket Brown, and Cary Elwes.

The project was announced in December 2018 as the original title Shrine, with Sony Pictures adapting Herbert's novel of the same name. The cast was announced between 2018 and 2020, with principal photography commencing in Boston, but on March 14, 2020, filming was suspended because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Unholy was theatrically released in the United States on April 2, 2021, by Sony Pictures Releasing, and received generally negative reviews from critics.

Fri May 28, 2021 1:26 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Unholy
A decent idea marred by a underwhelming script and wobbly direction. There was a good idea and a plan to make a serious horror movie but the execution specially towards the end fails to bring even a single scary moment. The visuals were also surprisingly poor. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Cricket Brown and William Sadler bring a lot of authencity to movie's first half even if the execution keeps failing them but then they just could not carry the finale because it is heavily dependent outside of their characters (i.e. visuals and direction).

C-

Fri May 28, 2021 1:30 am
Wallflower

I caught this one in the theater. I found it awful. Generic, crappy CGI, ineffective jump scares. Just a waste of time.

D

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:14 pm
Forum General

I was actually kind of enjoying the first half of this, but the second half completely ruined it for me with all the crappy, cheap jumpscares and bad CGI. Such a waste of a good cast too, but you can tell it was nothing more than a easy paycheck for them which makes sense, but I feel bad for people who had to sit through this in an actual theatre.

C-

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]