Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Spiral 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Spiral 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Spiral
Quote:
Spiral (also known as Spiral: From the Book of Saw) is a 2021 American horror film that serves as the ninth installment in the Saw film series. It is directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, his fourth film of the series, and written by Josh Stolberg and Peter Goldfinger. The film stars Chris Rock, Max Minghella, Marisol Nichols, and Samuel L. Jackson, and follows police efforts to stop a Jigsaw copycat killer. The original creators of the series, James Wan and Leigh Whannell, serve as executive producers alongside Rock.

Talks of another Saw installment began after the release of Jigsaw in 2017, with Chris Rock wanting to branch out into the horror genre. The Spierig Brothers, who directed Jigsaw, were interested in returning for another film but eventually decided against it. The project was officially announced in May 2019, with Rock polishing a script by Stolberg and Goldfinger. The rest of the cast joined in July, with filming taking place in Toronto through August.

Originally scheduled to be released in May 2020, Spiral was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and was theatrically released in the United States on May 14, 2021, by Lionsgate. The film received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the franchise's new direction but were divided on whether it had fully succeeded in reinventing it.

Sat May 15, 2021 10:03 am
100% That Bitch

Post Re: Spiral
A.

I legit cannot remember the last time I was this invested in a horror film. Chris Rock was excelente. Samuel l Jackson slayed. The film itself was great, the main mystery was rly good. And the ending? YESSSSSSSSSSSS I missed the twists and cliffhangers this series is known for. You cannot imagine how fucking HYPED I was once the iconic theme song started playing as they revealed the main twist. My wig was snatched.

What makes me not give this an A+ is how little the traps are shown or how "simple" they were compared to the rest of the series, but as a reboot this is fucking ACES.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat May 15, 2021 1:04 pm
Wallflower

The most scenes of yelling since Uncut Gems. Was annoying how people couldn't hold a normal conversation. Also I thought Chris Rock was pretty bad in this. I was mainly interested when there were trap scenes but even those are some of the weaker ones in the series. I did like the finale though and with how it ends I wouldn't mind a follow-up. But will survive if there's not one. Judging by its box office there won't be.

C

Tue May 25, 2021 2:04 am
Extraordinary

Spoiler: show
it was so obvious that the partner was behind it when they didn't actually show him getting skinned... lol

I was never bored by this but this felt like a movie meant for streaming.

Tue May 25, 2021 11:33 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I agree with pe and Mike that this movie was never boring with a great finale BUT it had really bad acting, unnecessary yelling (specially from Chris Rock throughout) with trap scenes that are decent but nothing special. I liked the overall asthetic of the movie where the crimes are done for a purpose and its not a mindless chase movie where the mystery isn't only the reveal of criminal but also his intentions behind it (which most likely lacked in previous Saw movies). The end is really solid though and it elevates the movie, it also very timely and yet its reverse of what's happening in the real world (with Rock being black) and while there is a resolution its still for the viewer to decide which side they will chose and that for a horror movie is very powerful. I also loved the throwbacks for past movies specially the use of hacksaw :)

B

Fri May 28, 2021 1:15 am
Star Trek XI

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Spoiler: show
it was so obvious that the partner was behind it when they didn't actually show him getting skinned... lol

I was never bored by this but this felt like a movie meant for streaming.

No it was made for theaters, like all movies. No reason comedies and romcoms shouldn’t be in theaters as well. And also it wasn’t obvious who the culprit was for me

Fri May 28, 2021 6:17 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm not a fan of this franchise but considering this was supposed to be a reinvention I figured I'd give it a shot. It was awful, probably the worst thing I've seen this year. Terribly plotted, badly acted and directed and disgusting. I'm glad it seems to be tanking because this is the last franchise the horror world needs right now. D

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:09 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I thought this was pretty bad aswell and if it wasn't for some decent bits of gore my score would be even lower for it honestly. Just badly acted and directed all around, especially the scenes with Chris Rock and jesus were those flashback scenes laughable, but atleast I wasnt bored during it. I didnt even like the finale all that much because I found the twist so predicatable and there should have been way more SLJ in this then there was.

C-

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:40 pm
The Kramer

I liked this, but your milage may vary. It has a very odd contrasting tone, the very serious police story with the police and the ugly yellow lighting mixed with Chris Rock still doing his schtick. If you aren't a fan of Rock this one will be a struggle. Luckily, I am a huge fan of Chris Rock, and Samuel L Jackson, so seeing A-list stars in a Saw movie was quite the thrill. I was enamored by every scene, never becoming bored, and even though the kills were bloody and brutal, it was never over the top.

It didn't quite stick the landing though, for three reasons. 1) After being a detective thriller, with some legit tension not only in the trap scenes, but the capture scenes as well, this becomes just another Saw movie where a guy is walking through a hallway watching bad people die. 2) The identity of Spiral is super obvious. Ten minutes into the film I was thinking "that guy is a little too helpful" and sure enough he was Spiral. It made sense with the clues they laid out, but faking his death was one step over the line and it became an inevitability rather than a surprise. And 3) This movie plays around with a lot of big ideas, but never really settles on anything besides "police brutality is bad and cops will always cover each others asses, no matter what the crime, and that is even worse." Like ... yeah, I already knew that. The better twist at the end would have been Zeke joining forces with Spiral, but instead they just try to ape the endings of the original series with any surviving "good guys" screaming out in horror as the "bad guy" gets away. Or shit, they hinted that Zeke might be just as dirty as the rest even with his image as a snitch, but that never went anywhere either.

Rant aside, this was still either the 2nd or 3rd best movie in the series, far above the gap that seperates the Jigsaw trilogy with the Hoffman ones. I'll give it a light B+, praising it for trying something different, but criticizing it for not completing what they started.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:25 pm
Superman: The Movie

As good as the original, but missing it’s unintentional comedy.

Mostly boring.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]