Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Moxie 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Moxie 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Moxie
Quote:
Moxie is a 2021 American comedy-drama film directed by Amy Poehler. Tamara Chestna and Dylan Meyer adapted the screenplay from the 2015 novel of the same name by Jennifer Mathieu. It stars Hadley Robinson, Lauren Tsai, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Nico Hiraga, Sydney Park, Josephine Langford, Clark Gregg, Ike Barinholtz, Poehler, and Marcia Gay Harden. It was released on March 3, 2021, by Netflix.

Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:49 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Moxie
There are some good ideas here but they are handcuffed by a generic script. Poehler does great job bringing the coming-of-age angle which essentially brings the movie enough charm and wit and something that's easily digestible. The problem is towards the end there are just too many things happening too fast and the final twist felt too easy for a resolution. Acting is decent overall but none of the young actors stood out.

C+

Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 am
Forum General

Despite the very in your face feminst message I did end up enjoying this. The characters were well developed and I found the performances pretty solid all around. It even managed to get some good laughs out of me a couple of times, but alot of stuff felt forced and rushed IMO, especially a certain subplot/reveal that only gets brought up at the end.

B-

Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:10 pm
The Kramer

I enjoyed this rebellious high school comedy set to the tunes of Bikini Kill. All the characters are fun to hang with and their spirit was infectious. I do think it over relies on fill-in-the-blank feminism though, especially when the story is in a lull. Mitchell was a dick but I liked that they were showing how someone who was not breaking any laws or rules could still be an extremely toxic presence and cause trauma to the people around him. Ending with "oh yeah he did actually rape a girl" just felt kinda lazy.

Overall though, it is definitely worth a watch if you like this type of movie, or just like Amy Poehler. B

Tue May 25, 2021 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]