Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Promising Young Woman 

Rate this film:
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Promising Young Woman 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Promising Young Woman
Quote:
Promising Young Woman is a 2020 American black comedy thriller film directed, written, and produced by Emerald Fennell, in her feature directorial debut. The film stars Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Clancy Brown, Jennifer Coolidge, Laverne Cox, and Connie Britton, and follows a woman who takes revenge against men she believes have wronged her.

Promising Young Woman had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2020,[1] and will be theatrically released in the United States on December 25, 2020, by Focus Features. The film received positive reviews from critics, with praise for Mulligan's performance and Fennell's direction.

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:45 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Promising Young Woman
It's not often I'm not the slightest bit disappointed in a movie I'm DYING to see on the first viewing. But I am thrilled to say Promising Young Woman delivered. It's the film of the year. Timely, necessary, and an absolute gut punch. Carey Mulligan is sensational and has never been better (and she's given some great performances). I cannot wait to see this again. I watched it with two others and we were all pretty blown away.

A+

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:19 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, this was probably my favorite of the year. Fantastic performances and a terrific, biting screenplay. A

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:33 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
Yeah, this was probably my favorite of the year. Fantastic performances and a terrific, biting screenplay. A

The soundtrack to this movie is awesome. Drinks is the bop of the year. A little disappointed it was barely in the film except faintly in the background in a scene. I don't think it would be enough to be eligible for an Oscar nomination. Not like I really think it would ever get one... I never thought I'd like/never wanted to like a Paris Hilton song but since the soundtrack came out Stars Are Blind has been one of my go-to songs on it. I feel like being in this movie makes it ok for me to like it. ;) And I loved its use in the film. Also I'm happy I can finally stop associating the song "Angel of the Morning" with the awful moment it's used in It: Chapter 2 and can instead think of its use during the ending of this.

Anyway, it's not surprising but I can't stop thinking about this movie. I think it will be unshakeable for a while. The end alone kind of makes it impossible to forget. I was a little nervous going into it because the ending seems to make or break it for a lot of people. I didn't want to have it ruined for me by ending in an unsatisfying way. Thankfully I'm not one of the people to have a problem with the ending. It's not the crowd-pleasing revenge fantasy people might want, but it's the sobering (albeit still kind of crowd-pleasing when all is said and done) one we need.

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:29 am
Extraordinary

This isn't playing anywhere near me, not even in drive-ins.. ugh. Eant to see it so bad.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:35 am
Forum General

Carey Mulligan is fantastic in this and damn is this movie dark, but I found the ending to be super satisfying in a bittersweet way. I really loved the supporting cast they got too even if they were only in it for one or two scenes. Alison Brie and Bo Burnham being the biggest standouts IMO.

B+

Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:22 pm
Wallflower

I could totally go for a Bo Burnham Supporting Actor nomination.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:50 am
Extraordinary

I thought it was pretty great overall but idk how I felt about the ending.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:25 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Carey Mulligan is AMAZING in this, I really want her to win ALL the awards this year. The movie is right amount of dark and fun and allows characters to carry the emotional weight specially Mulligan. I understand why they went with that ending but having Mulligan somehow face-to-face in the end would have been a big FU in their face, would have loved to see her expression with these culprits one last chance. The culprits in the end have it easier but the people who die and the ones they leave behind suffer beyond reproach.

A- (though I feel like this deserved an A but I felt ending was a little slight, it might change after my theatrical viewing in March)

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:51 am
Wallflower

I don't really think there was any way to make it
Spoiler: show
where she was still alive. As devastating as it is I think the right choice was made.
The ending might work better for you on a second viewing. I've heard that from quite a few people.

Glad you really liked it though. I too am wanting Carey to win all of the awards. At least the big ones like the Globe and Oscar. I love her so much in this.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:12 am
Extraordinary

yeah, I think I was just taken aback because I wasn't expecting her to die so the whole scene really made me feel uncomfortable, which I'm sure was the purpose. I feel like Cassie knew something horrible was gonna happen/she basically was ready to die given the lengths she went to before going to the cabin to ensuring messages would be sent, and maybe she didn't cuff the dude properly on purpose? Idk. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:08 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
yeah, I think I was just taken aback because I wasn't expecting her to die so the whole scene really made me feel uncomfortable, which I'm sure was the purpose. I feel like Cassie knew something horrible was gonna happen/she basically was ready to die given the lengths she went to before going to the cabin to ensuring messages would be sent, and maybe she didn't cuff the dude properly on purpose? Idk. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Agreed that me uncomfortable as well but I feel they went with this approach because it seemed that she had not been living since the incident. Having said that we are made to believe that she has been doing similar things to other people from the start of the movie so it seemed it was more for shock value rather than an artistic decision.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:02 am

How extreme does film commentary on a social issue need to be for good impact? Emerald Fennell answers with a kick to the balls.

Promising Young Woman satirically illuminates the worst of male tendency. Unrealistic in its one-sidedness, of a very realistic, all too common, disgusting gender difference. Men may be better natured than she satirises, but depraved sexual opportunists are numbered highly enough for this to be the biggest wake-up call post the #metoo movement out of Hollywood.

Two ex girlfriends went through it before we met, in both cases their better friends consoling them with "Aww chin up it's no big deal, happens all the time, things like that can happen when you drink to black-out."

A film written with as much sexist anger as it's likely to trigger. Which leaves softer moments, like the dialogue between Cassie and Ryan, weirdly distant, mostly unbelievable, and cold. The romantic montage between them is like a bad parody of montage sequences. Maybe that was the point, but the twists at the end lose some potential as a result.

It's strange how justified this kind of sexism still is. And make no doubt, PYW is exceptionally sexist. But even a passing response in an underbreath, woman aren't perfect either, feels dramatically improper. The satirical extremeness is necessary.

Just a shame more people aren't seeing it in theaters. Something this important would have gotten better exposure on Netflix.

Last edited by sandyshores65 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Welcome to the forum sandy :thumbsup:

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

This film is superb. Carey Mulligan deserves a Best Actress win. Loved it - especially the ending.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:26 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is definitely my favorite of the year, have watched it a few times since my initial viewing and also can't stop listening to the soundtrack.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:25 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I've seen it 3 times. Am so excited to see it in a theater Friday night. First of a few theatrical viewings for sure. Love this movie so much.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I'd have no issue voting this film Film of the Year in any KJ awards.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

MadGez wrote:
I'd have no issue voting this film Film of the Year in any KJ awards.

:thumbsup:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 pm
Star Trek XI

Yeah, this was amazing. Timely and well done film and like others said, great soundtrack. Carey Mulligan is just astounding and I really hope she takes home the best actress Oscar, she 100% deserves it and if she gets subbed for even a nomination it will be a huge injustice

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:32 am
Indiana Jones IV

Huh. Well.... this was an intense experience, and also kind of subdued in a way, and absurd but pretty grounded too. Satirical, almost comical in a way, but way too close to truth as well. I don’t know what to make of it intellectually or in a ‘movie review’ way. I will say this touched on a pretty deep nerve for me, so that by the end I was filled with a sense of somatic rage.... I wanted to smash and destroy something. Fuck rape culture. This hit me personally, having known many loved ones who were taken advantage of and RAPED.

No grade for this one right now. Not a favorite of the year for me, but I can’t deny its impact.

(also, some unanswered questions for me: I was waiting to find out what it meant when Cassie used a red ink pen for her tally... but we never saw what led to the use of red pen. Also, the closing remarks Cassie shared with Nina’s Mom—“I wish I had gone with her.” “I do too.” ??? I think I misunderstood because I though Cassie meant she wished she had gone with Nina to the other side aka suicided with her, though she likely meant she wished she could have gone to the party where the rape happened... in which case, Nina’s Mom’s response was incongruent / inappropriate to what she had just expressed, to let it go... irks me a little)

Also, side note, this was the first movie I’ve seen in a theater since March!!! I have missed the theatrical experience. Will (hopefully) be seeing more movies theatrically soon (though definitely not this one again).

Much Love y’all

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:22 am
Wallflower

Jack Sparrow wrote:
publicenemy#1 wrote:

Agreed that me uncomfortable as well but I feel they went with this approach because it seemed that she had not been living since the incident. Having said that we are made to believe that she has been doing similar things to other people from the start of the movie so it seemed it was more for shock value rather than an artistic decision.

I really don't think it's for shock value. I would be curious what ending you'd be satisfied with. Since my first time seeing it different scenarios have popped into my head about a different way and honestly nothing else has been satisfying. I think this ending makes the most sense.

I've also read Emerald Fennell's reasoning and it's hard to find fault in it.

I definitely recommend this interview: https://www.vulture.com/2021/01/promisi ... lains.html

Also this video interview with her and Carey was interesting and discusses the ending: https://youtu.be/Rhj2RmWVup4

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:56 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Thanks I will go through. I would have preferred for her to be pretending and come back in the end somehow with another master plan but while that would have been great towards the ending it wouldn't have had as big of an impact IMO.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:02 am
Keeping it Light

This has a nice cast, Mulligan is very good, and I also liked roles of Brody, Mintz-Plasse and Clancy Brown, I'm rooting for her, it's an entertaining enough film, while dealing with a very serious issue in our society. But its light touch causes the plot to unfold rather unconvincingly and makes me not totally be on board with it either.

B

Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:45 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Very very surprised with this getting a B and The Little Things getting a B+ given that this lands the ending while dealing with a more difficult topic. But I guess it just depends on what you were expecting out of a movie. I believe your viewing experience is more focused towards machoistic or traditional movies than odd ball movies like this.

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next