Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Minari 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Minari 
Keeping it Light

Post Minari

Quote:
Minari is a 2020 American drama film, written and directed by Lee Isaac Chung. It stars Steven Yeun, Han Ye-ri, Alan Kim, Noel Kate Cho, Youn Yuh-jung, and Will Patton.

It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2020, winning both the U.S. Dramatic Grand Jury Prize as well as the U.S. Dramatic Audience Award.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:00 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Minari
Quite lovely. Alan Kim was the standout for me cast-wise. He was adorable. A-

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:05 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

viewtopic.php?t=87430

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Thanks for pointing out. Dil can use this thread.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed with cory Alan Kim is very lovely here but I felt the adult couple were equally great here. Its a well directed, well acted, well shot movie but the lack of resolution at the end is what brought it down for me. Its still a good slice-of-life kind of movie but some of the events felt too unnecessary to me. Its a great movie just not something that you would instantly remember to recommend.

B

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am
Forum General

I wouldn't know who to recommend this to either, but its a pretty great family drama IMO. It was interesting seeing Steven Yeun in this kind of role, but I thought him and the actress that played his wife killed it and man what an interesting role for Will Patton aswell who was also really good. Alan S. Kim was great at playing a cute kid and his scenes with the grandma are easily the best in the movie, but I do wish the movie had a more clear ending.

B+

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:38 pm
Wallflower

Lovely is definitely the right word to describe this. I'll echo the sentiments that the ending could have been better. Something pretty eventful happens and then two little scenes later the movie is over without any real resolution. With a more satisfying ending it could have been a bit better. But regardless I loved it. The cinematography is gorgeous and I'm happy I got to see it in a theater. Youn Yuh-jung is terrific and I'd be happy if she won Best Supporting Actress. That very well could happen. Alan Kim is absolutely adorable. Steven Yeun and Han Ye-ri are also very good.

A-

Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:49 am
The Kramer

A husband stubbornly puts his family's well-being in jeopardy to pursue his version of The American Dream. We've seen this movie before, but now it has 75% fewer white people! A cinematic diet coke if you will.

Perhaps I'm being unfair towards Minari, it was very well made and acted. I guess that, like with The Father, I was just expecting more. Something less baity, though I do give them points for restraint. Never once is racism blamed for the family's problems. It's almost always poor decisions made by Stephen Yeun's character. Shit if they had leaned a little harder into that they might have picked up the Best Picture oscar. I'm glad they didn't though, because at the very least the movie is not cringe, it just goes by showing how these people are dealing with a new situation.

I'll give it a B, bordering on a B+. As is the movie was absolutely fine, but as the last bastion of hope for this years Best Picture lineup it came up a little short. Again, that's an unfair burden to place on Minari, but it is what it is.

Thu May 20, 2021 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]