Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Father 

Rate this film:
A 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Father 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Father
Quote:
The Father is a 2020 drama film co-written and directed by Florian Zeller, based on his 2012 play Le Père. The film stars Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman, Mark Gatiss, Imogen Poots, Rufus Sewell, and Olivia Williams, and follows an aging Welshman who must deal with his progressing memory loss.

The Father had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on 27 January 2020. It is scheduled to be released in the United States on 18 December 2020, by Sony Pictures Classics, and in the United Kingdom on 8 January 2021, by Lionsgate. The film received acclaim from critics, who lauded Hopkins' and Colman’s performances.

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:15 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Father
This was pretty fantastic. Anthony Hopkins gives a tour de force performance and the structure of the film is so unique. Feels so different than things on this subject matter that have been done before. A-

Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:29 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Agreed. Went to see it on Saturday and I thought it was great. A unique approach to the subject matter. Hopkins is incredible. If Boseman were still with us Hopkins would have steamrolled the category this awards season. The ending devastated me. I was embarrassed to leave the theater from crying so hard.

Colman is also great in this.

A-

Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:38 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I really want to watch this but its not going to be in theaters here only 15-April.

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:07 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Anthony really deserves the Oscar (although I love Riz's performace). It's maybe his best performance ever to be honest, and that's saying a lot.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:34 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

Hopkins does deserve the Oscar for this performance. This movie simply broke my heart in two. It was such a uniquely disorienting film - have never seen dementia portrayed in this way.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:28 am
Extraordinary

Anthony Hopkins gives what may be his best performance in what is a legendary career, that oscar was truly deserved.
With all due respect to Boseman but i agree with a comment above, if he didnt pass away then Hopkins would have swept the awards like DDL did some years back.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I watched this last week as well and its really good. Colman is great in here, her character is more sympathetic but the movie at times does not give her enough focus. Hopkins though stream rolls through this easily the best performance of the year. He is just magnetic yet brings out the turmoils of a tortured soul. A very different take on the subject matter so I am glad it won adapted screenplay as well.

A

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:38 pm
The Kramer

Ehh. I very much respect what this movie set out to accomplish. Telling a story that takes place over a year in the form a 'day in the life' probably captures the feeling of dementia more than anything else in the history of film. The problem is that my interest in the story floated around as much as Antony's did. It really felt like a play instead of a movie. I really wanted to turn it off halfway through, but held on out A) respect for film B) the supposedly heartwrenching final scene and C) I paid $6 to rent it.

Hopkins performance is good, very showy ACTING that the academy loves. I liked Boseman better though. His performance made that play feel much more cinematic. His natural charisma elevating otherwise dull material. I don't think anyone else could have done that. Meanwhile, would anything about this film change if Christopher Plummer was cast in the lead role? I know that's a bad example since he is dead and all, but you get my point.

I'll give The Father a C+. Its ambitions warrants admiration, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Tue May 18, 2021 2:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I disagree on replacing Hopkins and still getting the same effect. The movie didn't click with you because you didn't connect with Hopkins' (layered) performance. The final monologue and what Hopkins projects with his eyes throughout are much more than any actor achieved with similar characters in the past. Also Boseman played an angry black person, which has been done by many other actors and his wasn't exactly sharper or more different it just the character (not the actor) brought some life to an otherwise dull stage play.

Tue May 18, 2021 7:43 pm
Top Poster

Amazing movie with top-notch direction, brilliant screenplay, and creative art direction. Colman was even better here than in The Favourite, and Hopkins delivered one of the most iconic performances of this century,

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Just saw it. Loved it. I give it an A- but an A+ for Hopkins/Colman's acting. Hopkins was truly deserving of the Oscar.

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]