Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tenet 

Rate this film:
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Tenet 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Tenet
Quote:
Tenet is a 2020 spy film written and directed by Christopher Nolan, who produced it with Emma Thomas. A co-production between the United Kingdom and United States, it stars John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine, and Kenneth Branagh. The plot follows a secret agent who must manipulate time in order to prevent World War III.

Nolan took more than five years to write the screenplay after deliberating about Tenet's central ideas for over a decade. Casting began in March 2019, and principal photography took place in Denmark, Estonia, India, Italy, Norway, the United Kingdom, and United States, starting in May 2019. Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema shot on 70 mm and IMAX.

Delayed three times due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Tenet was released by Warner Bros. Pictures in the United Kingdom on August 26, 2020, and is scheduled to launch in the United States on September 3, 2020, in IMAX, 35 mm, and 70 mm. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, who favorably compared it to Nolan's Inception and praised the cast's performances, though some lamented the confusing plot and impassive tone.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Tenet
You will either love it or hate it and unfortunately I am in the later camp. I wanted to love the movie, it has impressive visuals, great cast, decent concept. Despite all these Nolan for me is the biggest failure for this movie, he wanted to write an indie movie but had a huge budget and in order to make the movie smart just forgets to tell a compelling story. The movie is neither a good spy movie (where script dictates the character actions rather than story) nor does it fully untangle the mystery it starts in the first half. Without Nolan's name this would be a much lower critics score. Pattinson and specially Debicki are great here but John David Washington was mostly with a smug face throughout the movie.

I can understand why people will like it but it just did not click with me.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:02 pm
Romosexual!

Loved it! Visually gorgeous. The action/stunts amazing! Seeing things move forward & backwards at same time was sooo cool! Filmed beautifully. The Nolan time/space mumbo jumbo plot/story was NOT that complicated. Didn’t lose me much.

Throughly enjoyed it. Going back for seconds today.

A

Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:33 am
Team Kris

Absolutely loved this film. If there is one director out there makes .movies to be seen on the big screen, its Nolan. From the opening scene you know you are in for a fun ride. Washington was good but Pattinson steals the show. Cant wait for his take on Batman next year. I understood what was going probably 90% of the time. The whole time inversion special effects were amazing, especially the ending. Cant wait to see it again!

A

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Whoo! So nice be in the theater again.

As for the movie... overall I liked it didn't love it.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:07 am
Romosexual!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Whoo! So nice be in the theater again.

it was really really nice :D

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:43 pm
Extraordinary

After reading and watching videos throughly going through the movie's plot points I would like to see it again to see how knowing everything beforehand will enhance another viewing.

Spoiler: show
the theory that Pattinson's character is actually the son of Debecki from the future is really intriguing to me

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:56 pm
Forum General

I didn't love it as much as other top tier Nolan films, but I did really enjoy this. It wasn't as confusing as I was expecting it to be after hearing so many of the complaints, but I will admit that just like Inception and Interstellar at a certain point it does become quite muddled and convoluted and while that might ruin a lot of the enjoyment for some it never really bothered me here. I thought JDW and Battinson were equally great in this and man has Nolan come a long way from doing those sloppy, messy hand to hand fight scenes that we had to endure for a good majority of his previous films.

Debicki and Branagh were really good too even though I get the complaints about Branagh maybe being a little over the top at times. Nolan also never dissapoints when it comes to the global scale action sequences either with the time inversion stuff being on a whole other level awesome, but it was hard to follow at times.

B+

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 pm
Hold the door!

Im in the bathroom during my first viewing of this movie. God it’s boring. No idea what’s happening. The reverse bullet thing is the only compelling part. The spy movie elements and characters are bland as rice.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 pm
Forum General

Rankings:
TDK - A+
Interstellar - A+
Inception - A+
Memento - A
The Prestige - A
Batman Begins - B+
Tenet - B+
The Dark Knight Rises - B+
Insomnia - B+
Following - B+
Dunkirk -B+

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:32 am
Keeping it Light

I just loved this, amazing experience. It kind of fucks with the mind, but it's so fast paced that I didn't get a chance to breath and ponder during the film and in just consuming it I was loving being part of it. Soundtrack is riveting, the editing and cinematography top notch, it's explosive and probably best experienced on the big screen. It's one of these films, while I'm in it I don't want it to end. Cast is great, Washington, first real film I see him in I think, is excellent, not surprisingly he reminds me of Denzel in the best way. Maybe before the artifact heist I felt myself questioning a bit where it was going, but then the heist was tense and my attention to what was happening in front of me didn't let up anymore the rest of the way. Nolan just makes things work, he's on another level of film making, it's art, entertainment in the purest way.

A

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:11 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Never thought I'd actually see this opening weekend given the circumstances and I'm between NY and LA where the markets are still closed, but I decided to drive to San Diego with a friend of mine on Sunday to do a movie day of New Mutants, Unhinged and this to close things out. I cannot wait! :D

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:29 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

I want to see Inception and TDK again, but I'd say Memento is my favorite film of his and this comes closest to that since.

Ranking:
Memento - A+
Tenet - A
Inception - A
The Prestige - A
Interstellar - A
Dunkirk - A
Batman Begins - B+
Insomnia - B+
The Dark Knight - B+
The Dark Knight Rises - B

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:30 am
Hold the door!

This had nice action scenes but that’s it. The story is awful.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 am
Keeping it Light

I was just thinking about this again and one point of criticism that come to my mind is that I didn't get, or just couldn't feel Washington's affection for Kat. He never seemed to show any interest in her romantically, yet he was continuously acting for her interest, to the point of risking a mission.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Now that few people have seen this. Couple of questions

How did they have the technology to get inverted before the finale? Did they get it when trying to save Kat? If so how and when was it mentioned? Was it Andrei who left it? If so then why?

All that spy stuff after the opening act is there anything that was so obvious or were there any clues or is it just being introduced from point A to point B.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:41 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Definitely Nolan's most complicated film yet, but I thought it was a blast for the most part. Absolutely stunning action sequences and the more I sit with it the more I like it. Robert Pattinson was great and best in show for me cast-wise. A-

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:55 pm
Profile YIM

The plot of this movie is so complicated that it's like a parody of a Nolan film:

CIA operative Washington tries to stop Ukrainian attack but is captured and has to take a suicide pill which isn't really a suicide pill but a sleeping agent that proves to a secret organization he's got what it takes to take on a different mission involving a secret technology that could spell the end of humanity.

Apparently joins this organization as he's considered dead, so may as well.

Learns secret technology can time invert objects and that it has links to a couple of different arms-dealers, one bad, the other less bad.

Robert Pattinson, an agent of some kind, shows up.

The two start working together with less bad arms dealer, some old Indian lady, who'd sold the arms to the bad one, Branagh, who with the secret tech had time inverted the bullets he'd bought.

Randomly procures a valuable painting from Michael Kaine to get close to the wife of the guy in control of said technology (Branagh), which painting she'd sold a forgery of to him, which forgery he uses to blackmail her, or something.

Washington then plots with Branagh's wife to get close to Branagh, pretends to be having an affair to explain the connection. Uses some special phrase to communicate to Branagh his (fake) intentions, that he knows about the technology or whatever, and the two become faux buddies.

Meaning Washington is pretending to pretend with the wife to fake pretend to the husband while ultimately being truthful to the wife.

Feelings apparently develop between Washington and the wife, even though they barely speak about anything apart from her husband.

Washington gets inverted and starts fighting people that are fighting him forwards while he's fighting them backwards while he's moving through space forwardly, and time backwardly. Turns out he was one of the backwards dudes he'd fought earlier and that he's now living out his future past.

A whole bunch of other stuff happens.

Turns out Pattinson is from the future and that the secret organization was actually started by Washington, who Pattinson works for, meaning he's really an employee of Washington.

Gold metal thing on his backpack indicates Pattinson probably died as part of the effort to prevent the technology from being used by the bad guys.

Review:

Grows on you a bit but it's so dense with complication and unjustified gravitas that it's almost a comedy. The physics is interesting but probably inaccurate, interactions between objects in different time states probably wouldn't work in the way depicted. For instance when Washington reverse-drops that bullet in the beginning it's explained that he has to think he's dropping it for the reverse action to take place, but his thoughts are operating normally, through time forwardly, so he'd need conscious foresight of an inverted object's relative past to know what to think in order to cause the action it's about to do in the present. So he'd have to be able to think backwardly to become causal, meaning he'd need to know his own motivations and actions ahead of real-time for his caused behavior of the inverted object to be at all natural. The fight between him and his future self handles this well enough to subvert our disbelief, but in reality things would probably be a lot more chaotic, even though Washington had already been part of the fight from the other side.

Pros: Conceptually interesting. Actions sequences are cool.

Cons: Music too loud. Character development sucks. Acting is often wooden. Could do with a dozen characters and plot lines being cut. Lacks any emotionality until the very last scene. Complicated doesn't mean smart.

C+

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:22 pm
Keeping it Light

I don't share the criticism that the complication of the plot is a problem for the film, but nicely written review!

How does your ranking of Nolan films look like?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:22 am
The Kramer

I have complicated thoughts on this. It definitely brought the spectacle and the set pieces were everything I could want from a Nolan summer blockbuster. On the other hand, even though I can now see the overall picture and make sense of the story, very rarely did I understand what was happening moment to moment.

The time travel stuff is actually the easiest to work out. Some people are going forward and some are going backwards and some are doing both at the same time. The Future has been ruined by the present and the past and now the Future is returning the favor. That right there is an excellent plotline. Unfortunately, it's also just a throwaway bit of dialogue near the end of the film. One that gets quickly forgotten because the story is moving way too fast, or perhaps never heard at all beacause of questionable sound mixing. I think if they had laid out the greater idea sooner the rest would have been easier to follow. Like in Inception, we have a basic concept to hang on to (it's a heist that DiCaprio needs to do in order to get his family back) from the start, and therefore we can just go with it when all the layers and layers of dream science kick in. But in Tenet, while I'm struggling to even hear the dialogue they are going a mile a minute about technicalties that I didn't really care about it, making everything colder and colder until Nolan decides that actually, the humanity of the story is what is important, and that now JDW is willing to sacrifice the entire history of the world to protect this woman he just met. Oh no, actually he lied about it because he was gonna shoot her anyways ... but then the villain just finds the macguffin anyways and fire freezes him in the car even though all military equipment seems to work as normal in the Inverse ... wait what? Just picture all of that out of context and you have the script to Tenet.

Frustrations aside, it does give us a very unique cinematic experience. The score is incredible. Every action scene is so intense. It was never boring like Interstellar either. The two and a half hours flew by and it could (and probably should have) added another half hour to let things breathe. Give the characters who are going backwards in time a moment to reflect on what has happened thus far, and why its happening. Maybe another viewing will help, since I'll have full knowledge of what the overall goals of both heroes and villains are, while also knowing that the movie is also taking place in reverse at the same time.

B

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:35 am
The Kramer

Rankings:

The Dark Knight - A+ - In my all time top ten
Memento - A+ - top 20
Dunkirk - A+
Inception - A+
Batman Begins - A+

The Dark Knight Rises - A
The Prestige - A-

Tenet - B
Insomnia - B

Interstellar - C+

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:37 am

stuffp wrote:
How does your ranking of Nolan films look like?

The Dark Knight
Memento
Inception
Insomnia
Dunkirk
The Prestige
Interstellar
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Begins
Tenet

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:10 am
Devil's Advocate

This is way too convoluted and complicated. The entire climax I didn't know which teams were going forward and which were going backwards and why, and even the Branagh/Debicki parts without the time travel, the drawing, etc. was unnecessary work in a movie your brain is already working hard in. Add in Nolan's cold style and the main character having no development and fast dense dialog often in foreign dialogs trying to explain what's going on, and JDW and Debicki having no romantic chemistry, and it was hard to get engaged in this one. Once the palindrome aspect is revealed there's no surprises in how it's going to pop up other than Pattinson seeing JDW's face, you could see from miles away Debicki would be the one diving off the boat for example or that he was saved in the opera house by him or Pattinson. Some cool action sequences and good performances though. I think spending the first half of the movie going forwards and the second half of the movie retracing his steps going backwards is a good idea but they tried to do too much.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:40 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

After re-watching this yesterday and knowing everything ahead of time I feel the flow was much better and found it a little more coherent than last time. Still it feels there is too much stuff going on and not much to latch on. The story also tweaks a lot of back-and-forth logic to its needs. JDW and Debicki have no chemistry at all, Pattinson is easily the best thing about this in terms of acting and his character is also not entirely developed. The action sequences are still great though I did spot more staged hand-to-hand combats this time around.

Upgrading my grade to B-

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:07 pm
The Kramer

I liked this way more on the rewatch. The temporal pincer works!

Mon May 03, 2021 4:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next