Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Kung Fu Panda 3 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Kung Fu Panda 3 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Kung Fu Panda 3
Kung Fu Panda 3

Quote:
Kung Fu Panda 3 is a 2016 3D American-Chinese computer-animated action comedy martial arts film, produced by DreamWorks Animation and Oriental DreamWorks, and distributed by 20th Century Fox. It was directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson and Alessandro Carloni. The film was written by Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, produced by Melissa Cobb, and executive produced by Guillermo del Toro. It is a sequel to the 2011 film Kung Fu Panda 2 and the third installment in the Kung Fu Panda franchise. The film features the voices of Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman, Lucy Liu, Jackie Chan, Seth Rogen, David Cross, James Hong, Bryan Cranston, Kate Hudson, and J. K. Simmons. The film received a limited release in China on January 22 for a special 3 hours peak preview and is scheduled to be released day and date starting from January 28 in South Korea and Russia and on January 29 in the United States and Canada in 3D and premium large formats which other markets scheduled to be released in March and April.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Kung Fu Panda 3
Too woo. *B*

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:16 pm
Extraordinary

Underwhelming. Gorgeous animation but the story, development and even the villain were kinda boring.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:15 pm
The Kramer

From the training montage on this is aces. The montage itself is gorgeously animated and beautifully scored. The final two fights bring the usual excellent action choreography, the best in the animated film game. And it packs in the heart wrenching moments that bring this franchise closer to Pixar quality than anything Dreamworks has donr, sans the two Dragons.

Unfortunately this is all in the last twenty five minutes of the movie. The first act is funny enough. I liked how Po's (goose) dad had a bigger role and the return of Master Oogweh. The middle act seriously drags though and this is for two reasons. The villain is even more generic than usual and doesn't even give us good action, as the battles are over almost instantaneously. And while the pandas are fun, they aren't fun enough to make up for lack of screentime for the Furious 5 and Master Shifu.

So its a few steps below the first two. Po would groan at the extra exercise. It gave me enough of what I wanted to be worth the trip to the theater though.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's pretty good. I still like the original the most in the series, I think (they're close), but this one is solid and has kept the overall franchise on a winning streak. B.

I was worried that following the disappointments of many of Dreamworks' recent films, they'd decide to go more kiddie in their approach, or full of pop culture references, for future films (see the Trolls trailer...yesh). And judging my the trailers I saw for Panda 3, that was certainly looking to be the case. Thankfully, and while this one still might be the most light hearted in the series, they were misleading.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

The first melded comedy and action in a way that made for a truly special film. Kung Fu Panda 2 and 3 aren't able to do this. The comedy is there, but it always takes a back seat to the action and drama going on. In those respects though, Kung Fu Panda 3 is not a disappointment. Kunf Fu Panda 3 brings everything full circle in a film that would be perfectly satisfying as a conclusion to a trilogy (though I'm sure once some more original movies bomb, KFP4 will enter DreamWorks slate). The Furious Five takes more of a back seat in this one, but they shine in their limited screentime. Po's father is likable, and the villain, unlike what many have said, is developed, but his backstory is more cliched and not as interesting as that of Tai Lung and Shen. And the ghost of Rebel Wilson will forever hang over the character of Mei-Mei; Kate Hudson cannot overcome the fact that the role was obviously not written for her. The action, story and character development are great, and the humor there is is funny, though it feels a bit out of place. I can also see why neither sequel has lived up to the box office of the original. Both are darker, and less child friendly.

A-

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

Very solid entry to the series. The non-fighting parts are as good as any in the series. I like the relationship with Po and Cranson's father character, Duckling's role, the Panda village and when he trains them. I forgot how good Jack Black's voice performance was in this series. The animation is once again excellent.

My biggest criticism is from an action perspective, I didn't find the villain threatening enough. He was entertaining when he opened his mouth but I never got the sense he was better at kung fu than Po so the biggest thing he had going for him is stealing everyone's Chi. But the problem is his jade cronies are too easy to beat. When they first attack the Five, it feels like light work for them. Then little pandas beat them up. But I can't complain too much. Good animation sequel.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:50 am
The Wall

It continues to be a cute, but utterly bland series. Not much wrong in it, but nothing great, or funny also. Serviceable.

*** / ***** (C)

Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

After researching it, I'd say it's probably my least favorite of the three, mainly because the jokes don't hold up. But it's still very enjoyable.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:44 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a solid entry to the series which while not getting better is not going down entirely quality wise. I liked this one almost as good as the second in the series. This time the focus is on panda's heritage and Chi while the villain and Furious Five takes backseat. The choreography is still great but comedy is dimmed down here and doesn't do much. They never utilize Jack Black's talents enough in this even though Panda stays the focus of the movie entire time. Cranston is a great addition to the series and the final fight scenes are great as well as emotional with great score.

7/10

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:14 am
Ocarina of Time

zwackerm wrote:
After researching it, I'd say it's probably my least favorite of the three, mainly because the jokes don't hold up.

:funny:
Such an idiotic reason to dislike something, jokes are momentaneous, story is what you should care the most....... I guess :P

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:54 am
Hold the door!

Brian wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
After researching it, I'd say it's probably my least favorite of the three, mainly because the jokes don't hold up.

:funny:
Such an idiotic reason to dislike something, jokes are momentaneous, story is what you should care the most....... I guess :P

I still laugh when watching the first one, even though I've seen it many times.

Also, there seems to be less warmth in this one. The others had the character feeling a lot more genuine. The whole thing with the masters turning to green heartless statues made it feel a little cold.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:16 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I have come to like this one better over the years the villain is the weakest but then again that's true for all villains in this series. The original still stays the best of the series but this one is on par with it in terms of ratings. The jokes are definitely weaker here but the story is much more personal which elevates if from Part 2.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]