Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Frozen 2 

Rate this film:
A 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Frozen 2 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Frozen 2
I hope Zootopia 2 is well done :|

Both Frozen 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet were fine but ultimately forgettable.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:48 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Keyser Söze wrote:
it does not matter. OS looks like increasing big(1B os is possible unless it has meh legs). Domestic will be close at worst or a small increase. But next one whenever they make it will feel the effect.

BO???

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:49 am
The Kramer

I thought this was pretty great. Reminded me of the Dragon sequels. It doesn't hit the quite the same as the first, but I still loved the world-building and characters and this felt like a proper adventure for them to be on.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 pm
The Kramer

Better that first:
-Olaf. Dude has some great lines in this and actually helps the story and themes quite often. I was expecting his contribution in the story to just be a lot of physical humor to keep the kiddies entertained. Olaf recapping the first movie to the new characters is the funniest moment in either film. Plus, even though we all knew he wasn't gonna stay Thanos'd, it still a very touching scene.

-Anna's plot .. for most of it. Her naivety and desperation for love in the first one drives the story along a certain path, and since we spend the majority of the screen time with her we except the tale to go the way she does. Then they yanked it out from under us with the double twist of evil Hanz and the act of true love not being a first kiss. So she didn't grow all that much and it shows here, with her main character aspect being paranoid that everything they built will be taken away again. Her insecurity about not being able to keep up with Elsa is palpable as she constantly gives positive reinforcement to her sister who may not be emotionally capable of giving it back. Her insecurities leave her reckless, and even though the entire plot revolves around Elsa, this is really Anna’s emotional journey about empowering herself, using that power for good and not having to always rely on others to do the heavy lifting.

-Other cute side characters. Creatures that seem destructive in nature are actually pretty swell once you get to know them. Good for a laugh every now and then while also always reinforcing the key theme of the story.

Worse than the first:

-Elsa’s plot. She takes center stage here but I thought her arc needed a little bit more … I dunno personal stakes? Learning her origins doesn’t seem to accomplish all that much since they were already on a quest to save the forest and unite the two kingdoms. I wish they hadn’t pussed out with the love story. They could have used the other human characters to add alot more drama to her story but instead settled on a “see we’re actually all the same” theme which is good but pretty basic.

-No villain. I didn’t want them to repeat the Hanz twist, or even have him come back with an army, but having an antagonist who was actually still alive would have helped with the pacing towards the end.

-The songs, though they are still fine and better than most Disney soundtracks. Making a new Let It Go was always going to be a tall order, and the other songs did get better on repeat viewings. Love Is An Open Door, for instance, was really annoying the first time through until you know the entire and realize that despite its adorable catchiness, the song is actually pretty sinister and is the inverse of the main theme - sometimes good looking things are bad on the inside. A valuable lesson.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:32 pm
Hold the door!

The soundtrack is really good. I can't stop listening to it. Show Yourself is such a huge grower. Into the Unknown is great if you don't compare it to Let It Go. When I Am Older is probably the worst song for me at this point, and even that is vastly better than In Summer, his song from the first. I really like All is Found and The Next Right Thing as well.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:15 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava really nice summary but I would have to disagree on some parts of Anna's plot. Yes I agree that the insecurities from the last one continued but the way she treats Christoph in the entire movie is misguided (even if she loves Anna too much) and then the love story/proposal ends with any emotional development. While she brings the fall of the bridge its because she was doing exactly what Elsa told her and when we see that she has been given reins to Arrendelle it doesn't feel earned or because she has matured enough.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:32 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
The soundtrack is really good. I can't stop listening to it. Show Yourself is such a huge grower. Into the Unknown is great if you don't compare it to Let It Go. When I Am Older is probably the worst song for me at this point, and even that is vastly better than In Summer, his song from the first. I really like All is Found and The Next Right Thing as well.

Glad that you liked it but I think its because of repetition in your case. I understand that you generally tend to hear the songs multiple times so its easier for you to love them. Its not the case with most people who would judge the song by hearing it the first time. That's why I mentioned earlier that the songs are good when you hear them separately but they really don't add too much to the story like the songs in the original did. That's also where the power of songs from the first helped repeat viewing, they made you fall in love with them and listening to them made you want to relieve the fine moments again (and that's mostly true today unless you are burned out from seeing the movie too many times). The songs in this one doesn't that X-factor.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:37 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Glad that you liked it but I think its because of repetition in your case. I understand that you generally tend to hear the songs multiple times so its easier for you to love them. Its not the case with most people who would judge the song by hearing it the first time. That's why I mentioned earlier that the songs are good when you hear them separately but they really don't add too much to the story like the songs in the original did. That's also where the power of songs from the first helped repeat viewing, they made you fall in love with them and listening to them made you want to relieve the fine moments again (and that's mostly true today unless you are burned out from seeing the movie too many times). The songs in this one doesn't that X-factor.

I mean I liked all the songs other than All Is Found when I first heard them. I really don’t think it’s fair to compare after just one listen. When I saw the first Frozen, the only songs I Liked were Let It Go and For The First Time I’m Forever. Because I’d heard them before. I thought Do You wanna Build a Snowman and Love is An Open Door were forgettable on first listen. I still don’t like Fixer Upper to this day. So no, it’s not just repetition

I get annoyed whenever a new musical comes out and people immediately trash the songs as “forgettable”. It’s not fair to compare songs you’ve heard once to songs you’ve heard a million times.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Alright I get where you are coming from. Its not about being "fair" here most people would go an hear a song again if its highly recommended or talked about (like how Billboard Top 10 works) or if they like it from the first hearing. I agree not all the songs from Frozen were great at first hearing but it was because of the repetition and recommendations that the songs became such hit.

The thing is if most people think the songs from this one are "forgettable" they won't recommend thus lesser repetition and thus the cycle grows. You shouldn't be judging people on how they judge some songs (even though it might feel unfair) the other side of the argument is that people can be smart and not compare the songs of this movie to the ones from last one and still not like them (which I think most people realize and start their comments with like for instance in Flava's case "Making a new Let It Go was always going to be a tall order, and the other songs did get better on repeat viewings.")

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm
Hold the door!

Ranking Disney Soundtracks (personal taste, only included since 1989 when the modern structure of the Broadway musical was adapted as a standard structure)

1. Pocahontas
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Aladdin
4. Hunchback of Notre Dame
5. The Little Mermaid
6. Frozen
7. The Lion King
8. Frozen 2
9. Hercules
10. Moana
11. Enchanted
12. Princess and the Frog
13. Tangled
14. The Muppets (2011)
15. Mulan
16. Mary Poppins Returns
17. Coco
18. Tarzan
19. Muppets Most Wanted

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

You need to also mention "animated" there somewhere. I was shocked when I saw Beauty and the Beast I instantly though of the recent one and while its good but not THAT great.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:05 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I saw it again, and I enjoyed it better upon second viewing. I still believe it's a weaker film than the original, but the third act is now my favorite across both films. The "Show Yourself" sequence is pretty phenomenal; from the stilled-majesty of Elsa riding the Nokk across the sea to the crescendo of her transformation (great work on the facial expressions), the song and animation are excellent.

I imagine many of those that are disappointed with it simply had their expectations too high. Not to say expecting better shouldn't necessarily be a valid point, just that opinions can be too quick to form sometimes.

Watching it again, you can also see how the animators drew inspiration from classic Disney films when creating the enchanted forest. It's just a regular old forest, really, but the colors and background scale (depth) is reminiscent of Sleeping Beauty or Snow White.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

This is one of the most disappointing movies of the year. I adored the first film. Saw it three times in theaters. Even listened to the soundtrack a decent amount. It's one of my favorite animated movies. But the story this time around didn't do it for me and the songs weren't very good. There's not a single one that is even as good as most of what we had in the original. The animation is stunning though. That's about all I got. It's not terrible just a huge step down for me. Is this really the best they could come up with after all of this time?

Now that we have this darker chapter out of the way if they make a third can it go back to being fun and entertaining?

6/10

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:18 am

I think we can all agree Frozen is better than its messy sequel

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:09 am
Indiana Jones IV

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:

Nah, I prefer Frozen II. I found it more enjoyable and thematically more resonant.

I watched Frozen last week and found it to be.... okay. I don't feel it's as strong as people seem to remember it as. Whereas I thought the sequel was quite lovely. I appreciated its bold story choices, even if the whole affair is super digestible, cutesy, and predictable. Maybe in six years if I watch it again, I'll find it to be mediocre as I found the first, but for now... I enjoyed the experience of watching it. I wasn't wearing my critic hat though.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:03 pm
The Antichrist

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:

Your brain is messy.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was cute enough. Ultimately forgettable though, and much worse than the first. I agree that the songs aren't very good. The animation is amazing though.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

I liked it about the same as the first which is to say, it's fine, harmless, and ultimately who cares what I think since I'm not even close to being the target audience?

The only thing I have to say that might be somewhat controversial is that while there isn't a song anywhere near as good as Let it Go, I think the soundtrack is overall better than the first, even if some of the songs stop the film dead in its tracks. Lost in the Woods is a song that could be lifted completely out of the movie and is really only in there so all the leading actors have at least one solo number, but damn if it's not a decent 80s-like hair-ballad.

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Still think the soundtrack to this is great. Listen to it all the time still.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:18 am
Indiana Jones IV

zwackerm wrote:
Still think the soundtrack to this is great. Listen to it all the time still.

I downloaded Into the Unknown and Show Yourself, the ones that struck a chord for me watching the movie. Good songs for a cheese heart like me.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:22 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:
lolz this is so trash. How the fuck are these films so huge

Nah bro this was a magical gem. Get in touch with your inner gay child. Also, to answer your question: Even you paid to see it, yeah?

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

Great sequel. I really enjoyed most of the songs, and I just like these characters and world. Olaf was hilarious. I think the first half of Frozen is the best of the series and the second half of Frozen is the worst. Frozen II is more consistent.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm
Hold the door!

This definitely holds up as a fun time even if the plot is messy. And I firmly believe it has one of Disney’s richest soundtracks.

Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:32 am
The Kramer

Finally watched this a second time. I definitely saw a lot more cracks, but it still holds up fine. I'd lower my grade from an A- to a B+. Stand by my original point of saying that even though the movie tries so hard to be epic, it ends up feeling kinda slight. Yet the characters still make it work.

One thing really stuck out this time though. This, and Wreck-It-Ralph 2 are kind of the same? Both sequels insist on seperating characters the first movie worked so hard to bring together. In fact, How To Train Your Dragon 3 and Toy Story 4 both had this same type of ending too. What up with that? Why did all the big animation companies feel the need to make 'being seperate from your best friend is OK so long as you still love them' thematical material the year before the world shut down? :-k :-k :-k :-k

Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:30 pm
The Kramer

Some Things Never Change is a bop though. Has been stuck in my head for the last few days. I think it got overlooked back in the moment because they were trying so hard to make Into The Unknown a thing.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next