Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 A Simple Favor 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

A Simple Favor 
Keeping it Light

Post A Simple Favor

Quote:
A Simple Favor is a 2018 American black comedy mystery film directed by Paul Feig from a screenplay by Jessica Sharzer, based on the 2017 novel of the same name by Darcey Bell. The film stars Anna Kendrick, Blake Lively, and Henry Golding, and follows a small-town blogger who tries to solve the disappearance of her mysterious and rich best friend.

A Simple Favor was released in the United States on September 14, 2018, by Lionsgate.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: A Simple Favor
It's not lol funny and can get overly complicated with some side stories that aren't given much weight but overall Lively and Kendrick make this work. It helps that the story is engaging and Feig maintains a good pace and never let go of the biggest asset of the movie i.e. the chemistry between the two leads. Golding was for the second movie a weak link here acting wise and his character is thinly written.

7/10

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am
---------

This movie is amazing. Probably the funniest I've seen all year. It's pretty much a Lifetime movie, but with an actual budget, perfect leads, and great overall direction.

It's probably Anna Kendrick as her most Anna Kendrick character, along with Blake Lively as her most Blake Lively character, if that makes sense at all.

A-

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It does for the people who have seen it :thumbsup:

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:39 am
Wallflower

Awesome movie. So fun. Very funny. Works as a comedy and a thriller. Both Kendrick and Lively are really good. Especially Kendrick. Might be Feig's best or at least second best after Bridesmaids.

9/10 (A-)

SPOILER

Spoiler: show
Would have been made better for me if the two killed Golding's character and made off with the money together. I would have bumped it up to an A.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:38 pm
Superman: The Movie

Magic Mike wrote:
Awesome movie. So fun. Very funny. Works as a comedy and a thriller. Both Kendrick and Lively are really good. Especially Kendrick. Might be Feig's best or at least second best after Bridesmaids.

9/10 (A-)

SPOILER

Would have been made better for me if the two killed Golding's character and made off with the money together. I would have bumped it up to an A.

That’s what I wanted to happen too. The movie hinted that they might become lovers with that flashback on the couch so I thought it might go down that road, or the platonic one after that scene at the graveyard (why would Kendrick announce that on her blog when anyone could’ve shown up?) but in hindsight, I don’t think there’s any way that ending could’ve worked realistically.

I’m kind of all over the map here. I like the style, even if the French pop music screams of pretentiousness (then again, maybe that’s what Feig is going for), and I think the three leads give great performances, but there was something about the end result that didn’t quite satisfy me, and I’m not sure if the comedy fit, especially at the end with the Prius.

But I liked it.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
---------

The prison bit at the end definitely didn't work for me.

However, I was honestly glad to see Anna put a stop to Blake. Blake took advantage of Kendrick and was such a wild force causing destruction wherever she went.

I'm iffy on the Prius. I'm probably biased since Andrew Rannells is freaking hilarious in everything, so I give him a pass on an unearned "hero" move, but then again, there was absolutely no way he was beating the police to Blake's house after being "raided."

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm
On autopilot for the summer

For such a long movie, the characters are super underdeveloped.

It's not funny enough to be a parody of films like Gone Girl (when those movies earn solid laughs on their own) And it's not quite serious enough. Needed a better edit and drop 20-30 minutes. You could have entirely nixed the vlog scenes. And Blake was the true standout. you miss her for a good solid 70 minutes in the middle.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:22 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is a bonkers blast. I had such a great time. Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively are perfectly cast - I think Kendrick gives her best performance in years and Lively is just insane here giving a true movie star performance. Such a delight. A-

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:44 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Solid in parts but something definitely felt off about it. The ending definitely felt bleh to me.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Did some parts feel rushed to you? Maybe the detective work by Kendrick? I thought of that too but I think that's by design to use Kendrick and Lively more in scenes together drinking martinis.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 am
Forum General

Really enjoyed this one. It honestly felt like to me what the 50 Shades movies should be even though it isn't very graphic when it comes to the sexual stuff. Man can Anna Kendrick carry the hell out of a movie though and Blake Lively is so damn badass and mesmerizing in this. I knew there was a reason I always liked her as an actress and this easily her best performance. The mystery aspect is really intriguing and is what kept me engaged throughout. Sure its a bit too long and some of the comedy particularly towards the end doesn't work, but for the most part I found it very entertaining.

B+

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:40 pm
Keeping it Light

Had a really good time with this, pleasantly surprised me too, the twists and turns didn't really, but the way it handled the mystery had my full attention. There's never any real comedy, but there's this dark comedic undertone I don't see often enough. Anna Kendrick impressed me here more than before, she fitted the part really well, and Blake Lively is her great self too. Also Henry Golding was way better in this than Crazy Rich Asians. I really loved the way things unraveled and there's just a very nice edge to the film.

A-

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

Enjoyed this a lot, the comedy is an erratic mix with the murder mystery in a good way. This is probably Kendrick's best performance taking full advantage of her quirky style, and Lively is also great and makes me wonder if this is more like her real personality (they also both look gorgeous). I haven't seen Golding's other movies but my impression from this is he's a pretty face who can't act. Not sure if Kendrick's character being a brother fucker needed to be in the movie, it made it easier for Lively to emphathize with her, but it didn't really affect the plot and she didn't end up being as twisted as I thought.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:22 am
now we know

A Simple Favor is a shallow, banal, ludicrous mystery thriller. It's such a weird film thematically. It has no fucking clue what type of movie it wants to be, so it ends up being none and all of them at once. Anna Kendrick's character is one of the most irritating characters ever. It seems like she prepared for the role by watching Two Broke Girls. There's no other way to say it; the twists and turns are crap. Seriously unoriginal. The script is just awful. As if it was written by somebody who has never observed real communication before. And everybody gives a bad performance besides Blake Lively. She's the only shining star, it's just unfortunate she's surrounded by people that cannot act, like Henry Golding, Anna Kendrick, and a bunch of nobodies that should ply their trade on daytime television.

The scene where the two boys are "fighting" in the garden is laughably bad. I know they're kids but come on! Another movie for the easily pleased.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]