Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 A Quiet Place 

Rate this film:
A 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

A Quiet Place 
Keeping it Light

Post A Quiet Place

Quote:
A Quiet Place is a 2018 American horror film directed and co-written by John Krasinski and starring Krasinski and his real-life wife Emily Blunt. The plot follows a family of four who must live life in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound. The film premiered at South by Southwest on March 9, 2018, where it received critical praise.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: A Quiet Place
Really LOVED it. It is even better than what the trailers promise. Yes there are loud noises and few jump scares in the movie but its an edge of your seat horror thriller. The family bonding was brilliant, both the kids were brilliant, Krasinski impresses behind the camera and in front of it, Blunt is SO CAPTIVATING in the movie and most of the horror scenes are centered around her. Its an ALL OUT brilliant film and most likely a contender for an all time best horror movie.

9/10 (My first this year)

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am
Wallflower

Seriously a perfect horror film. John Krasinski has created a modern horror masterpiece. It worked for me on all levels. Great performances, especially Emily Blunt and young Millicent Simmonds. The production and sound design are top-notch. I was sold from the opening but it just kept getting better and better. The second half is a total nail-biter. I can't remember the last movie to have me on edge like this. It just doesn't let up. I'm really enthusiastic about this one. Easily already one of my favorite horror films. I'll be seeing this several times theatrically.

Totally lived up to the hype.

10/10 (A+)

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Nice Mike :thumbsup: I saw it a second time and its gets even better. Just an equally awesome experience. Its one of a kind movie where I felt guilty even chewing my popcorn (quietly). It requires that silence and attention. I don't think the same level of atmosphere could ever be achieved at home.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 am
Wallflower

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Nice Mike :thumbsup: I saw it a second time and its gets even better. Just an equally awesome experience. Its one of a kind movie where I felt guilty even chewing my popcorn (quietly). It requires that silence and attention. I don't think the same level of atmosphere could ever be achieved at home.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I didn't get popcorn for this one because I'd be worried I'd be chewing too loudly. My friend got candy and we ate some during the previews but didn't touch it during the movie. I only drank my soda which I held between my legs the whole time so I wouldn't have to keep removing it from the cup holder. I'd definitely recommend forgetting the snacks for this one.

Everyone see this on the biggest screen with the best sound you can. It's such a unique experience.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's excellent. All four of the main performers are great - Emily Blunt is probably the standout and gets the movie's most memorable scenes (the nail/birth scene was tense as hell and expertly performed), but Millicent Simmonds is also wonderful and the real heart of the film. Krasinski also delivers his best performance ever. This is a great example of a simple concept executed perfectly - it's so well-directed and paced and immediately places in the upper echelon of recent horror films. A

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:31 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

This is a decent film, though I did not love it as much as I hoped. Before I address my qualms, praise where is praise is due: it is well-acted (everyone rises to the occasion of delivering chiefly silent performances, conveying affection, terror, and their characters' viewpoints via facial expressions and physical gestures). It is also handsomely shot; it appears as if John Krasinski wisely used Signs and Steven Spielberg's version of War of the Worlds as visual reference guides in staging scenes of perilous extraterrestrial contact on a farm. And there are a few expertly accomplished beats of anticipatory anxiety: consider a shot of a protruding nail (unseen by the characters) and the nauseating wait for a foot to step on it. But

...I hate the fact Emily Blunt's character is pregnant. It is strange territory, criticizing a fiction for the life decisions of its characters, but I could not push this thought from my mind: if ever there is a time to not become pregnant, it is when living in a post-apocalyptic world where a too-loud cough almost instantly attracts carnivorous, razor-toothed monsters. And they have children already from before the cataclysm (not depicted). An existence this intensely dangerous every second of the day does not deserve future generations to tend the farm.

I also simply never found the film quite as riveting as intended. The final half hour in particular is one oh-no, life-or-death incident after another; it held my attention without delivering breathless, unbearable suspense.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:45 pm
Pure Phase

I wish this film was a bit longer, particularly in its second act. It would benefit from showing more of their life on the farm, perhaps with an extra creature encounter, before seguing into the final extended action sequence.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:27 am
Forum General

Intense stuff. I didn't think this would live up to the hype, but I actually ended up really enjoying it. The use of sound in this movie was perfect and the sound design in general was pretty incredible honestly. Blunt and Krasinski are really solid here and the kids aren't too bad either. I especially liked seeing the kid from Suburbicon in this. The creatures are pretty menacing too and I loved how Krasinski took the Spielberg approach and slowly revealed them as the movie went along.

B+

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 pm
Extraordinary

... eh. I thought this was alright, not sure why this is getting so praised.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 am
The Incredible Hulk

This would have a been a perfect film in the Cloverfield series. The ending is perfect for that series.

Pretty good film all around. Quite emotional during the "I've always loved you" scene.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:15 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Great time at the theater? You betcha. I had a blast watching this with friends and a mostly sold out crowd. Pretty excellent execution of a novel idea.

But was it a great movie? Not quite. There were simply too many problems with the premise and script:

-- what the hell was the plan for bringing a crying newborn into this world? oxygen mask and wooden box? that's it? I can see an argument for the parents being so distraught about losing their youngest that they simply felt a pregnancy was divine providence; necessary to outweigh their earlier failure.... but with every other aspect of their lives so meticulously planned, the lack of any serious plan for A BABY, which could certainly be expected to cry and scream ALL THE TIME, was glaringly short-sighted.

That's the main one. Other things:

-- within three months they had already adapted to the quiet world and had time to set pathways of sand all the way to town?

-- the creatures could essentially hear someone step on a stick from miles away but couldn't hear someone breathing in the same room?

-- after living successfully for 472 days, everything happens all at once: Dad brings boy to river/waterfall where they can talk for the first time. They run into another human being within range of their home (hmm, odd, they just found out they had neighbors? That old guy just standing by his wife's dead body.... presumably she was killed recently.... but then where was any sign of the attack.... how long had the old man been standing by her body, that when presented with the appearance of two other living souls, couldn't wait a few fucking minutes before SCREAMING his anguish.... seriously this part made no sense); Mom goes into labor early and then gives birth in seemingly less than an hour... ; daughter leaves the farm to pay homage to dead brother. And then the final climax was scene after scene of oh-my-god the monsters are so close to getting them! it was moderately scary but not that tense, if that makes sense.

-- I wondered why the mother didn't ever think to feed her crying baby to shut it up?

-- No one ever ripped ass in this apocalyptic future?

BUT overall it was a very entertaining time at the movies. It's just also fun to point out how this movie doesn't work.

B+ (really it's a B)

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 pm
Wallflower

Steve wrote:
-- what the hell was the plan for bringing a crying newborn into this world? oxygen mask and wooden box? that's it? I can see an argument for the parents being so distraught about losing their youngest that they simply felt a pregnancy was divine providence; necessary to outweigh their earlier failure.... but with every other aspect of their lives so meticulously planned, the lack of any serious plan for A BABY, which could certainly be expected to cry and scream ALL THE TIME, was glaringly short-sighted.

I highly doubt the baby was planned. It's not like they could be expected to not have sex ever. Even if they used protection it's not 100%. And then once pregnant what was she going to do? Go to a doctor and get an abortion? Obviously not an option. They could do it themselves, which is really dangerous and after just losing a child I don't think they could bring themselves to do that. I don't think they knew how they'd manage once the baby arrived but they were certainly going to try.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:28 am
Wallflower

Vanilla wrote:

Pretty good film all around. Quite emotional during the "I've always loved you" scene.

I teared up the first two times I saw it. Heartbreaking. :(

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 am
Extraordinary

A QUIET PLACE

I liked this film and the experience with my audience that wasn't ghetto. I thought the creature design was interesting and the scares were well done. I liked the mini world building with the family living situation. The opening was good and the tidbits of the newspaper articles about the creature attacks were interesting. I wish there was bit more story about how the creatures got there, how long along they appeared, how the world was defeated by them or were they defeated? He only highlighted 3 as the number in his area. Were there 3 left or are there more? I liked the family and the acting. Blunt and Krasinski were very good in the film. The kids were as well. I liked the various "action" sequences if you will, the whole nail/pregnancy/fireworks, the basement flood, the silo and the final sequence. It was very good and very entertaining. My only problem with this film is that I'm supposed to believe that no one, no government, nobody figured out that high frequence sound was an effective weapon against the creatures until this family discovered that by chance? The world apparently lost because no one, no Elon Musk, non of the greatest minds, nobody figured it out by chance previously until humanity was near extinction. That's the only hmm issue.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

This was terrific.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 pm
The Kramer

It's Don't breathe + aliens and that is as awesome of a combo as you'd expect. One of the most intense theatrical experiences I've had. I was jumping at ambient sounds in the theater.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:19 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
One of the most intense theatrical experiences I've had. I was jumping at ambient sounds in the theater.

I enjoyed this too, like people would cough in the theater and I'd think shhh you're gonna die!!!

I feel my review comes off too harshly. I genuinely had a great time with this movie and appreciate many aspects of it, its craft and ambition. I just had fun critiquing it at the same time.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I do strongly feel the movie would benefit from a little more deliberate pace in the second half. An additional 20 minutes to kind of spread things out. It was unbelievable that every ridiculous thing happened all at once, which cheapened the potential terror of each event. It just became one rapid-fire intense thing after another. Spreading things out would actually help build the aura of dread.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:23 pm
now we know

This is an excellent film. Buckets full of tension and anxiety, greatly directed. I'm not going to be able to add anything that others probably haven't said. It's just a really well-made, creative idea for a film, and it's executed well too. I didn't think that Krasinski's character needed to sacrifice himself at the end. Making noise would have been enough to draw the monster away from his children, but that's what he did so he's now a goner. Why in the hell was Blunt pregnant? Not sure when she got pregnant, but seems a stupid idea to make more babies. Anyway, that ending was really, really captivating - one of the best endings in a long time, and I now wish that a sequel isn't made. We don't need to see the gung-ho action of how they wipe them out. We can imagine what happens and still maintain this film's quality.

A

Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
A Quiet Place

This is an excellent film. Buckets full of tension and anxiety, greatly directed. I'm not going to be able to add anything that others probably haven't said. It's just a really well-made, creative idea for a film, and it's executed well too. I didn't think that Krasinski's character needed to sacrifice himself at the end. Making noise would have been enough to draw the monster away from his children, but that's what he did so he's now a goner. Why in the hell was Blunt pregnant? Not sure when she got pregnant, but seems a stupid idea to make more babies. Anyway, that ending was really, really captivating - one of the best endings in a long time, and I now wish that a sequel isn't made. We don't need to see the gung-ho action of how they wipe them out. We can imagine what happens and still maintain this film's quality.

A

:thumbsup:.

Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I too wish that they don't make a sequel for this. Even if they do just take a new family with possibly different settings before this film's findings and have them find another way to kill these aliens.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:58 am
now we know

Yeah, if they absolutely must make a sequel, that would be better. Or just a prequel to show how these creatures came to arrive on Earth, how humans learned how to survive among them, etc. I definitely don't want to see a sequel that picks up where the first left off. But I just know they fucking will because of sequelitis.

Wed May 23, 2018 3:09 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a passion project for Emily and John so MAYBE they won't agree to a sequel. I would like to see how these aliens came in to earth, that would be great.

Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm
Wallflower

So many stupid people hated the ending. I thought it was great. Don't know why you need more. Seemed like the best place to end it.

Thu May 24, 2018 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next