Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Jigsaw (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
D 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Jigsaw (2017) 
Wallflower

Post Jigsaw (2017)

Quote:
Thirteen years ago on Halloween weekend--SAW and the character of JIGSAW introduced the world to a new face of horror. For seven straight years "If it's Halloween it must be SAW" was a holiday tradition. This October 27, Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures proudly present JIGSAW! After a series of murders bearing all the markings of the Jigsaw killer, law enforcement find themselves chasing the ghost of a man dead for over a decade and embroiled in a new game that's only just begun. Is John Kramer back from the dead to remind the world to be grateful for the gift of life? Or is this a trap set by a killer with designs of their own?

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:15 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Jigsaw
They threw SAW IV and V in a blender and out came JIGSAW.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:26 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Jigsaw (2017)
I expected more from this film. It aims to revitalize the Saw franchise, but foregrounds its least memorable elements, notably convoluted Law & Order storytelling, and fails to deliver any particularly memorable "trap" set pieces. Even by the comparatively low standard of these films, the acting is extremely stilted. No one is believably menacing or desperate. And behind the camera, the Australian-German Spierig brothers show none of the flair exhibited in Daybreakers and particularly the chic, mind-bending Predestination. The brown-green-warehouse Twisted Pictures house style drains them of vision and verve.

I slowly lost interest over the course of the 90 or so minutes the film lasts; I sat up slightly for the obligatory final twist, though I would not call it clever or coherent.

C

1. Saw III
2. Saw
3. Saw VI
4. Saw II
5. Saw V
6. Saw IV
7. Jigsaw
8. Saw 3D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:00 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Dear God. I just read the plot on Wikipedia, which I never do but I was on the fence, and am smart enough to know the twist is the final paragraph to stop reading. Sounds about as complicated as Basic or I Heart Huckabees. Is the synopsis that poorly written, or do you really have to remember ever movie to get it?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 pm
Wallflower

I thought it was really easy to follow and I barely remember the others. You'll be fine.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:34 am
Where will you be?

Least convoluted Saw Film in awhile. Inspired me to see Saw CI (I dropped out at IV) and that was really strong. Still I enjoyed this too in its own unambiguous ways.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:06 pm
Where will you be?

We took someone who had never seen any Saw films and they had no problem following “the plot.”

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:07 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Horrific garbage. Maybe the worst of the year. Let's make this be the final nail in the coffin for this series please. D-

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

This wasn't great but yeah it looked cheap and the end was crap. Good things that it was simple enough and you didn't have to watch all Saw movies to see this. From acting standpoint I don't expect much from these movies but no one was even trying here. Some of the tricks were decent enough to keep my interest but otherwise very forgettable.

4/10

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 am
Forum General

Yeah this was trash. It barely kept my attention the whole time, and I believe if I wasn't such a fan of this franchise overall I would have definitely shut it off a long time ago. I mean I do like these movies for the most part with the only exceptions being this film, Saw 3D and Saw V. This was honestly on par with the awfulness that was The Final Chapter IMO, which is sad considering the Spierig brothers are talented dudes, and I have enjoyed their films so far like Daybreakers, Predestination and even Undead. This is bland and mundane as hell though, because none of the traps are that creative or interesting and not a single likeable character is to be found. It also looks and feels really cheap and you can tell most of the actors they got here are from television, because the acting is truly atrocious at times, especially the scenes with the cops.

D-

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 am
now we know

It was fun to revisit the Saw franchise. I hadn't seen one since Saw V in 2008, and I've only seen three in total. This one has just as ludicrous and convoluted a plot as the others, and the deaths are kind of fun but it is all very trashy and not at all scary - this doesn't utilise that famous score well or the imagery/props that made the franchise's name. Still, though, for what it is, it's a fun 90 minutes.

C+

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:40 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The Saw franchise apparently watched a lot of NCIS in between The Final Chapter and the first attempt at a reboot. It feels like a different franchise, and I didn't mind it. The lack of Detective Hoffman automatically makes it the 4th best in the series, and the quirky lab girl is the first character I liked in this franchise since Jigsaw himself got his throat opened up. I also dug how the game took place in the past, letting them use Tobin Bell in his full glory to add an extra layer of mystery .. was he really back? Well no and the ending is suprisingly what brings the movie back down. The previous movies lived for the end twist, but it just sorta fizzles here. There are no survivors from the game, and what a shock that the new Jigsaw ended up being one of the four characters with speaking roles. They could have chose any one of the cops / morticians and it would have fell just as flat. A reverse bear trap of a Saw movie.

C+, a little bit under the third film which is also a C+. I'd give Saw 2 a B+ and the first an A-. The Hoffman ones are all Ds or Fs.

Wed May 19, 2021 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]