Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Altitude (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Altitude (2017) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Altitude (2017)

Quote:
A female FBI agent is offered millions to help a thief escape from a hijacked airplane.
Director: Alex Merkin
Writers: Tyler W. Konney (story by), Jesse Mittelstadt (screenplay)
Stars: Denise Richards, Dolph Lundgren, Jonathan Lipnicki

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:09 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Altitude
I decided to watch this during a longer longer than usual commute yesterday. After 15min. I thought whether I should just stop it because it was so bad, I continued though, but it never got better anyway. Luckily the film fits the standard run-time for these kind of releases, 90min and glad it wasn't a minute longer. So yeah, this is bad, Denise Richards is the lead and she's terrible. Like worst actress ever terrible. When she was young she could perhaps pull of a supporting role with her looks in an action film, but her she just bring the film down to the worst level. The rest of the cast doesn't fare better, but I'd say they're fine in their capacity. Lund green plays the pilot, and it's serviceable, he doesn't have much to do, 95% of the time he just sits in the cockpit, making some facial expressions and grunts and some dialogue here and there. The only thing where i took a bit of enjoyment out in the film was the very small role of Lipnicki, he plays a bit of a wacky flight attended for a minute before getting killed off. Apparently he produced the film also. The film seemed to me having the longest list of producing and co-producing companies I've ever seen, I think I counted at least 9. Chelsea Edmundson played a fine flight attendant too (for the little time when she was not left for unconscious), I can only imagine the film would have been a certain degree better had she played the lead. Chuck Liddell only has a part to put another name on the cover, he plays a meaningless henchman really. Anyway, it all wouldn't matter really, the film has just no flow, in short it's just a non-stop rip-off, but not once is there any tension or spectacle going on. It all just takes place on a plane, aside from the brief intro scene, and it's all quite tedious to watch. Richards looks to have had way too much plastic surgery as well and in all she's the biggest nuisance about the film really. She also had this terrible eye-rolling one one-liner when she killed of her nemesis "You need to adjust your altitude bitch", ugh. Worst film of 2017 so far, and unless willingly, I expect and hope it will stay that way.

F

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:51 am
now we know

It's not the worst movie ever. It's no Left Behind, that's for sure. I was actually enjoying it up until around the 35-minute mark. From then it gets very bad. The hand-to-hand combat is hilariously bad and the story is plain. I did enjoy some of the dialogue in the first part. But it is an amateurly made film, and when Dolph starts humming along to Wagner I totally gave up on it, and was just watching it with a sense of irony. Then by the time it got to the "You need to adjust your altitude, bitch" line, it was no longer in so-bad-it's-good territory, it was just plain bad.

So, how were the performances? Well, Dolph is his usual self. Stiff but full of pride in a supporting role. Then you have Chuck Liddell as a henchman. A nothing role. Jonathan Lipnicki (what happeneed to this punk?) as a gay young steward that dies within ten minutes. And Denise Richards as the heroine, with her stretched "I've had too much botox" face. She is actually enjoyable here. Everyone else is pretty awful.

Interesting observation; I've never seen so many production company logos to start a film. You'd think with so much money/people involved, they would have been able to make at least something as good as Turbulence.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, so the amount of production companies involved is definitely remarkable and couldn't be missed.

I feel the main difference in how we experienced the film is the tolerance for Denise Richards, of which I had none. With another lead I might have been able to grade it similarly.

Also it might have helped you went in with very low expectations and ended up in in it's not that bad territory, and will escape your worst of the year list.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 pm
now we know

F and D+ are not that far apart, dude. You're making out like I gave it a B. You should have also went in with very low expectations. It is a fucking Dolph Lundgren DTV flick.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I actually want to close out my comment by saying that we both agree it's a film to forget.

And the difference between D+ and F, I'm not sure, sometimes it can be vast and sometimes it's small. As for a recent comparable film in term of viewing pleasure it's of the same level as Kickboxer: Vengeance for me.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:57 pm
now we know

And on another day I could also give Kickboxer: Vengeance a D+. The difference is not so large. Depends on my mood and what other films I've seen recently.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Agree. Grades and rankings are fluid.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
we both agree it's a film to forget.

Funnily enough, I completely forgot this film existed, let alone that I'd watched it. I cannot remember a single frame.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Altitude (2017)
I also just looked at this page and thought, what, which film is this? But then some flashes started to come back zoning in on the poster. By title and actors alone I would not have remembered this existed.

Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]