Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Scream 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 39 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 54

Scream 
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Scream
yosh's accusation, not mine. And he made it in the snob forum, away from prying eyes.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:54 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Hey, leave me out of this.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:55 am
loyalfromlondon

yoshue wrote:
Hey, leave me out of this.

Maybe if you had recognized my joke for what it was: impossibly awesome.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:57 am
The Wall

8/10 -> B

It's the best interlock of parody and horror ever. But for me that's also it's biggest downside. But still it's a really awesome movie with such memorable scenes. The highlight here is probably the smartest script ever written in a horror movie. And it manages to be that without incorporating any hardcore philosophy.

It will definitely go down into movie history anthology. The Drew Barrymore opening is basically the closest thing to having an orgasm while watching a horror movie.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

My favorite horror film of all-time. This movie is brilliant. I have fond memories of renting this the day it hit VHS and watching it at home that evening, all by myself. Living in the country really added to the suspense, as did the incessant ringing of the phone. I remember being quite scared to answer. I would then go on to rent this numerous times and make everyone I know watch it. I always loved horror movies, but I attribute SCREAM with making me really LOVE them.

The opening scene was just AMAZING. So perfect. I agree with many that it's the best opening in a horror film ever. Drew Barrymore was fantastic. The whole cast was great.

A smart, funny, scary ride. It will always have a special place in my heart. :wub2:

10/10 (A+)

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

this thread reminds me of better times <3

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:31 pm
loyalfromlondon

Those were the days.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:44 pm
Star Trek XI

And a genre is born.

" I want you to go down to the McKenzies house and call the police. " Laurie Strode, from Halloween, Casey's mom, from Scream.

As I have said in my various reviews of horror flicks, I grew up loving horror movies. Everything from the great ones like Halloween, Nightmare 1 and the early Fridays, to even the stupid quirky flicks like The Prey or Sleepaway Camp. There is just something sinister yet fun about an unseen force that tries to kill you for no apparent reason except that you are on his turf. I think Kevin Williamson watched the same films as I did and similarly appreciated them. Because what he has done here is write a film that is an homage to all the great horror films of the last 25 years. He treats all of us fans to great memories of films of years past and he assumes that he has an intelligent audience. There are so many horror movie references here that even I don't quite get all of them, and believe me I have seen a lot of horror films. But not only is the script entertaining, funny and witty, the film is scary. Not as scary as some of the films that it tries to pay homage to, but that's okay. Because you will have so much fun trying to pick out references to your faves that the scare factor is just a bonus. One of the most brilliant parts in the movie is when Randy pauses Halloween and explains the rules of surviving a horror movie if you are a character in it. Not only is it funny, but it so honest and sharp that when you listen to what he says, you realize that he is so right. And that is one of the great pleasures of the film.

I admire a film like this. It is not afraid to take chances and it tries to give all of us former teens that made the genre so popular in the 80's, something to enjoy. I'm not saying that if you are under the age of 25 you cannot enjoy this, but believe me you can enjoy it a whole lot more if you are about 25-30. Because it is us who rented those films way back when. And to understand the references and the homages to films like Halloween ( 1978 ) the original Nightmare (84), the Friday's (80-84) you have to appreciate the films for what they are. And what they were and what they did was entertain and scare the hell out of us 15 and 16 year olds. And to remember that feeling by watching this film is reward enough to me. But then to have the film be so well done is an added bonus.

Wes Craven is the perfect director for this film. I wonder is Williamson ever pitched this to Cunningham or Miner or Carpenter before going to Craven? I guess I am glad that he didn't because I think Craven adds some nice touches to the film. The cast is also brilliant. We all know the major one's involved here but I want to call attention to Mathew Lilliard. His portrayal of Stu is so amazing. He honestly should of received a nomination for best supporting actor. He took his character and added his own twist to him. And because of his tiny idiosyncrasies, he adds so much to the film. A subtle use of the tongue, the facade of hurt just by one of his expressions, a triumphant thrust of the arms, his laugh. They are all forever imprinted in my head as a great character study.

This film started a whole genre on it's own, made a name for Lilliard and most everyone else involved, revitalized Craven's career, made Williamson a millionaire, made horror movies popular again and gave me hours of viewing enjoyment. Not just from this one and its sequel, but it made me go back and watch all the older films that I liked so much.

You should do the same. And try to rediscover what was so fun about horror movie from the 70's and 80's. I have figured it out on a personal level, but have you figured it out on your own level? That is what makes horror films so much fun. Because they mean something different to everyone. Actually that is what makes film in general so profound.

10/10

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Well said Baumer.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

SO GOOD to this day. This is one of the best slasher movies ever made. Everything about this movie is great and the characters end up getting good closure in the end. The deaths are so good and damn that opening with Barrymore is so effective.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:50 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is 100% my favorite film of all time.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:12 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
This is 100% my favorite film of all time.

Yay Cory! :D Mine too.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:37 pm
Extraordinary

Just watched this for the first time in awhile. Fucking fantastic to this day.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:01 am
Hold the door!

Started this. It’s ok so far but don’t see the hype.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:39 pm
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Started this. It’s ok so far but don’t see the hype.

If you don't see the hype after that opening scene... :P Best opening ever. Maybe less effective for someone nowadays though.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:27 am
Hold the door!

It was entertaining but I didn’t find who the killers were at the end to be that satisfying. It was just who everyone thought it was.

I’ll watch the second though.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:52 am
Wallflower

When the movie came out the fact that it was two people was pretty shocking. Nobody expected that.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:33 pm
Hold the door!

Magic Mike wrote:
When the movie came out the fact that it was two people was pretty shocking. Nobody expected that.

Oh I guess I didn’t expect that but I didn’t find it that exciting either.

Overall I liked it but don’t think it’s some horror masterpiece. I get it makes lots of Meta jokes.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:07 pm
Wallflower

It's so hard to imagine what it would be like to watch now for the first time because it has had so many imitators and everything went meta after this came out. All slashers after it followed a similar formula. But when it came out this was a huge breath of fresh air and reinvigorated an entire genre. I still think it's amazing but I grew up with it so my opinion is a bit skewed. It's kind of like how when I watch horror movies from the 70's or before that are supposed classics I rarely see what the fuss is about. At the time I'm sure they were groundbreaking but now they're nothing I haven't seen before and I mostly find them disappointing. I also find it harder to relate to dated movies. Oddly enough I don't have that issue with current movies set in the past. Just movies that were actually made a long time ago. If I just saw Scream for the first time today there's a good chance I wouldn't love it AS much. But as is I still think it's really clever and entertaining and Neve is the best scream queen. I have shown it to younger people though and they've loved it.

I definitely recommend continuing your watch of the series though. Many people like the second one better than the original. I don't think it comes close but it is great for a sequel. The third has just gotten worse and worse over the years. I "like" it but it's also not very good.

My ranking:

Scream
Scream 2
Scream 4

Scream 3

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:04 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its still done well and made nicely I just think this is probably not zwackerm's cup of tea (who pretty much loves all fluffy stuffs over thrillers and drama). I know I had seen the movie earlier but it still holds very well even with some stuffs feeling dated.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:16 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Magic Mike wrote:
It's so hard to imagine what it would be like to watch now for the first time because it has had so many imitators and everything went meta after this came out. All slashers after it followed a similar formula. But when it came out this was a huge breath of fresh air and reinvigorated an entire genre. I still think it's amazing but I grew up with it so my opinion is a bit skewed. It's kind of like how when I watch horror movies from the 70's or before that are supposed classics I rarely see what the fuss is about. At the time I'm sure they were groundbreaking but now they're nothing I haven't seen before and I mostly find them disappointing. I also find it harder to relate to dated movies. Oddly enough I don't have that issue with current movies set in the past. Just movies that were actually made a long time ago. If I just saw Scream for the first time today there's a good chance I wouldn't love it AS much. But as is I still think it's really clever and entertaining and Neve is the best scream queen. I have shown it to younger people though and they've loved it.

I definitely recommend continuing your watch of the series though. Many people like the second one better than the original. I don't think it comes close but it is great for a sequel. The third has just gotten worse and worse over the years. I "like" it but it's also not very good.

My ranking:

Scream
Scream 2
Scream 4

Scream 3

I recall seeing it in the theatre in early 97 and it blew me away. Absolutely loved it. I guess it would be different for some people seeing it today.

Also - agree on the above rankings.

I need to re-watch all of them. Scream 2 in particular. It has a scene in the car which has to be one of the most nail-biting in the series.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:17 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

My rankings are:

1. Scream
2. Scream 2
3. Scream 4
4. Scream 3

Scream 4 has the second best killer reveal of the series though and Scream 3 has the iconic Parker Posey performance.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:24 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Also, why do they keep answering the phone? Just hang up or let it go to voicemail? Or better yet, unplug it.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:35 am
Wallflower

MadGez wrote:
I need to re-watch all of them. Scream 2 in particular. It has a scene in the car which has to be one of the most nail-biting in the series.

That scene is intense AF.

thompsoncory wrote:
My rankings are:

1. Scream
2. Scream 2
3. Scream 4
4. Scream 3

Scream 4 has the second best killer reveal of the series though and Scream 3 has the iconic Parker Posey performance.

Agree on the Scream 4 killer(s). I'd say best after the first.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:52 pm
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Also, why do they keep answering the phone? Just hang up or let it go to voicemail? Or better yet, unplug it.

Stop trying to apply logic to horror movies ;).

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next