Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Scream 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 39 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 54

Scream 
Homo Dperious

barely watchable teenie slasher (its not a horror film, people) that is never scary and exciting. the fact that it wants to be clever and pretends to bend the rules of the subgenre annoys me the most. the way it references classics of the horror genre is hamfisted, so that a true connoisseur of the genre would roll his eyes. kevin williamson should stick the screenplay in his ass. scream is a movie that should be detested instead of celebrated, because it paved the way for the new wave of shitty teen slasher flicks. wes craven should stick to some real horror instead of doing scream again and again, with slight variations. here is what dario argento has to say about the lamentable state of the horror genre today: "Moreover many authors became lazy and their inspiration stopped. We can look at Carpenter, or Romero, or Raimi. Wes Craven makes "Scream" for adolescents, and he is the one who made "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and many other interesting films. He has let them go. Others simply stopped, like Tobe Hooper."

:lol: I got a good laugh at your review starting at that point.

I would have taken your post as satire if I didn't know better.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:45 pm
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

well he detests "horror" flicks made for adolescents, and i share his opinion. and his recent movies, although a far cry from his early masterpieces, are still better than "cursed", wes cravens newest shitty teenie flick.

Good thing you're the last person I'd listen to when looking for good horror.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Thegun wrote:
And thats what I consider the best kind of spoof. That more or less pays homage, but if it can be considered funny, than you've hit a whole other level.

I completely agree. Plus, this is actually clever unlike 95% of spoofs. Plus, what I don't like about movies like Team America and Scary Movie is that they try to rip apart movies that do what they do best far better then the spoofs do (or could). That fact makes for better irony then any of the jokes in either of those movies IMO. Scream actually works as well as the horror movies it spoofs, even better I'd argue. Yet, it doesn't wish to tear them down. I find that much more admirable. I remember one of the Wayne brothers saying that they made Scary Movie because they don't think slasher flicks should exist. I would be less prone to disagree with someone who said that movies like White Chicks and Little Man shouldn’t exist.

BTW, IMO Scary Movie (the original) is quite stupid. It takes a much smarter movie, doesn't get it, and inserts penis jokes. I think there was one somewhat clever joke in that movie, and you needed the DVD to read it.

Exactly, Scream is a subtle but obvious spoof. It obviously has all the elements but it is not a blatant rip off of famous scenes like Scary Movie.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:11 pm
Cream of the Crop

Joseba B-Loki wrote:
well he detests "horror" flicks made for adolescents, and i share his opinion. and his recent movies, although a far cry from his early masterpieces, are still better than "cursed", wes cravens newest shitty teenie flick.

coming from someone who dismisses true classics like halloween or the exorcist as overrated, but claims that hannibal is a masterpiece that cannot be topped, i take that as a compliment.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:42 am
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Joseba B-Loki wrote:

coming from someone who dismisses true classics like halloween or the exorcist as overrated, but claims that hannibal is a masterpiece that cannot be topped, i take that as a compliment.

Hannibal is not a horror movie, but the rest is right on, pretty much.

A film snob like you is the worst that happens to movie fans with time.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

so what, scream inst horror either. and whats your definition of a "film snob"? is it, as in my case, a person who detests scream, but enjoys movies like deep rising and anaconda?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:10 pm
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
It's simply inane for one, who isn't able to distinguish between good and bad movies, to call someone else a film snob.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It's simply inane for one, who isn't able to distinguish between good and bad movies, to call someone else a film snob.

Thinking that there is something like an objectively good or bad movie (and thus neglecting tastes and relying on biases) makes a perfect film snob.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Z

I think now it's the best time to repeat myself:

Argos wrote:

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I think now it's the best time to repeat myself:

Argos wrote:

Is that because you are at a loss of words to counter what I said above in an appropriate manner? Or do you see yourself above film snobs?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Neither because of this nor because of that.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

that objective/subjective discussion is absurd. what one thinks about a movies quality is always subjective, its called an opinion. there is no scientific way to measure the quality of any work of art, be it a film, a painting, a novel or a sculpture. scream is a bad movie because what i saw was bad. the majority of horrorfans saw a good or great film. different people with different tastes can get different things from the same film. doesnt make me a film snob.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 pm
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

that objective/subjective discussion is absurd. what one thinks about a movies quality is always subjective, its called an opinion. there is no scientific way to measure the quality of any work of art, be it a film, a painting, a novel or a sculpture. scream is a bad movie because what i saw was bad. the majority of horrorfans saw a good or great film. different people with different tastes can get different things from the same film. doesnt make me a film snob.

That is true, but that is not why I called you a film snob.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Joseba B-Loki wrote:
barely watchable teenie slasher (its not a horror film, people) that is never scary and exciting. the fact that it wants to be clever and pretends to bend the rules of the subgenre annoys me the most. the way it references classics of the horror genre is hamfisted, so that a true connoisseur of the genre would roll his eyes. kevin williamson should stick the screenplay in his ass. scream is a movie that should be detested instead of celebrated, because it paved the way for the new wave of shitty teen slasher flicks. wes craven should stick to some real horror instead of doing scream again and again, with slight variations. here is what dario argento has to say about the lamentable state of the horror genre today: "Moreover many authors became lazy and their inspiration stopped. We can look at Carpenter, or Romero, or Raimi. Wes Craven makes "Scream" for adolescents, and he is the one who made "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and many other interesting films. He has let them go. Others simply stopped, like Tobe Hooper."

Do I need to explain the contradictions?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:17 am
Profile ICQ
Cream of the Crop

would it make you happy if i added "imo" in every sentence?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:00 am
Profile ICQ
Mod Team Leader

would it make you happy if i added "imo" in every sentence?

No, but you seem to be speaking for everyone when you seem to state these as absolutes.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I am more annoyed by the fact that the his main bias against this film is that it is set in a highschool setting.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Well, this is an absolute then.....this movie is brilliant and one of the clever movies of our time. No debate. This is not an opinion. It is fact.. :tongue:

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I should hate Scream because of every bad film that ripped it off? That's inane.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:14 am
Cream of the Crop

its bad influence on the genre is just one of many reasons why i dislike scream. i take that aspect more personal than others, thats all.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:28 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

Does this mean I have to hate Halloween? It's one of my five favorite films of all time, but it spawned Friday the 13th and hundreds of other terrible rip-offs. Why blame a film when a genre steals from it? Not the film's fault.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:30 am
Extraordinary

As for the "adolescent" comments, mainstream horror has always been targeted at teenagers. Do you think Friday the 13th or Terror Train were created for middle-aged fear fans? They were designed as thrill rides, plain and simple. It's the same bullshit argument as when people complain about films aimed at "teenyboppers." It's always been that way, you're just not the teen anymore.

Last edited by The Dark Shape on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:41 am
You must have big rats

As for the "adolescent" comments, mainstream horror has always been targeted at teenagers. Do you think Friday the 13th or Terror Train were created for middle-aged terror fans? They were designed as thrill rides, plain and simple. It's the same bullshit argument as when people complain about films aimed at "teenyboppers." It's always been that way, you're just not the teen anymore.

I tried to make exactly that point clear to Joseba, but sadly he fails to understand. :-k

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next