Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Scream 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 39 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 54

Scream 
You must have big rats

As for the "adolescent" comments, mainstream horror has always been targeted at teenagers. Do you think Friday the 13th or Terror Train were created for middle-aged terror fans? They were designed as thrill rides, plain and simple. It's the same bullshit argument as when people complain about films aimed at "teenyboppers." It's always been that way, you're just not the teen anymore.

I tried to make exactly that point clear to Joseba, but sadly he fails to understand. :-k

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Does this mean I have to hate Halloween? It's one of my five favorite films of all time, but it spawned Friday the 13th and hundreds of other terrible rip-offs. Why blame a film when a genre steals from it? Not the film's fault.

no you dont have to hate halloween. its the defining film and the first and the last word on the slasher genre. you cant blame a perfect film when it spawns a wave of terrible ripoffs, its something that cant be avoided in todays film industry. same with jaws, alien, night of the living dead, etc. scream is not one of those great, original horror films that are beyond reproach. its a mediocre movie that happended to be, at least for the genre, a gigantic financial success. i think it was the first horror movie since jaws to gross more than 100m. and the fact that a movie like that had such an enormous influence on the industry makes me angry.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:32 pm
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

The Dark Shape wrote:
Does this mean I have to hate Halloween? It's one of my five favorite films of all time, but it spawned Friday the 13th and hundreds of other terrible rip-offs. Why blame a film when a genre steals from it? Not the film's fault.

no you dont have to hate halloween. its the defining film and the first and the last word on the slasher genre. you cant blame a perfect film when it spawns a wave of terrible ripoffs, its something that cant be avoided in todays film industry. same with jaws, alien, night of the living dead, etc. scream is not one of those great, original horror films that are beyond reproach. its a mediocre movie that happended to be, at least for the genre, a gigantic financial success. i think it was the first horror movie since jaws to gross more than 100m. and the fact that a movie like that had such an enormous influence on the industry makes me angry.

Scream is a great, perfect horror movie beyond reproach.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

As for the "adolescent" comments, mainstream horror has always been targeted at teenagers. Do you think Friday the 13th or Terror Train were created for middle-aged fear fans? They were designed as thrill rides, plain and simple. It's the same bullshit argument as when people complain about films aimed at "teenyboppers." It's always been that way, you're just not the teen anymore.

well even compared to the likes of friday the 13th, where we get a bunch of teenagers talking crap, getting drunk and making out, scream plays like clueless, or an episode of dawsons creek. scream is your ordinary highschool film that happens to have one or two psycho killers too. i am not ashamed to say that i enjoyed friday the 13th part 3 much more than scream, where random scenes set in the highschool milieu and uninvolving plot threads like a girl coming to terms with her haunted past killed my interest half an hour into the film.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:49 pm
Profile ICQ
Cream of the Crop

Joseba B-Loki wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

Scream is a great, perfect horror movie beyond reproach.

well, imo it is not :tongue:

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:50 pm
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
As for the "adolescent" comments, mainstream horror has always been targeted at teenagers. Do you think Friday the 13th or Terror Train were created for middle-aged fear fans? They were designed as thrill rides, plain and simple. It's the same bullshit argument as when people complain about films aimed at "teenyboppers." It's always been that way, you're just not the teen anymore.

well even compared to the likes of friday the 13th, where we get a bunch of teenagers talking crap, getting drunk and making out, scream plays like clueless, or an episode of dawsons creek. scream is your ordinary highschool film that happens to have one or two psycho killers too. i am not ashamed to say that i enjoyed friday the 13th part 3 much more than scream, where random scenes set in the highschool milieu and uninvolving plot threads like a girl coming to terms with her haunted past killed my interest half an hour into the film.

...and I think you're just being a nostalgic fool, thinking something is better simply because it's older ;)

I don't think Scream is in Halloween's league, but it's a hell of a lot better than most of the horror junk that's been spewed out over the last three decades. It's better than every single Friday the 13th flick by a longshot (sorry Baumer).

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:16 pm
Mod Team Leader

Joseba B-Loki wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

...and I think you're just being a nostalgic fool, thinking something is better simply because it's older ;)

I don't think Scream is in Halloween's league, but it's a hell of a lot better than most of the horror junk that's been spewed out over the last three decades. It's better than every single Friday the 13th flick by a longshot (sorry Baumer).

See, I actually understand that though DS. And I have Scream in my top 25 films ever. I think it is masterfully made. I just have a very soft spot for Friday 2, 3, 4, 5 (and sort of 1 and 6). ;)

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I can understand Fridays 2 and 6, if that's worth anything. I love 'em both.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 pm
Cream of the Crop

Joseba B-Loki wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

empires crumble, republics founder, but fools go on!

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:59 pm
Profile ICQ
Cream of the Crop

The Dark Shape wrote:
Joseba B-Loki wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

See, I actually understand that though DS. And I have Scream in my top 25 films ever. I think it is masterfully made. I just have a very soft spot for Friday 2, 3, 4, 5 (and sort of 1 and 6). ;)

well now that even baumer admits that scream kind of sucks, its just a matter of time until dr. lecter sees the light and dramatically lowers his grade :tongue:

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:04 pm
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

baumer72 wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Joseba B-Loki wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

well now that even baumer admits that scream kind of sucks, its just a matter of time until dr. lecter sees the light and dramatically lowers his grade :tongue:

Um, whre did he admit that Scream kind of sucks?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Joseba B-Loki wrote:
baumer72 wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Joseba B-Loki wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

Um, whre did he admit that Scream kind of sucks?

ask the tongue smiley!

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:14 pm
Profile ICQ
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Scream
I just watched it again (as part of my pledge to watch as many horrors as possible before Halloween), and I loved it even more. It's one of the few horrors I can think of that walks such a fine line with its tone between scare and satire and yet absolutely nails it. It's pretty much brilliant all the way through.

I don't really like either of the sequels, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:34 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I've never been a big fan of this film, its pretty lazy and its self aware smugness is hard to stomach.

It mistakes self parody for invention and instead ends up a bigger joke then the films it riffs off. Also it spawned its bastard stepchildren like IKWUDLS and Cherry Falls for example! I'm going to be slightly hyperbolic and say American horror has struggled to recover its former strength because of this thing.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:35 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I would agree that Scream has done far more bad than good, considering what it spawned, but this first one manages to toe that line between parody and scary really, really well. It's an effective, smart piece, and a complete aberration; none of the filmmakers are as talented as the work here would indicate.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:01 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

i think it did more harm than good simply because it was hard to top.

A

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:29 pm
He didn't look busy?!

It makes fun of horror movies, but it's a shameless horror movie, and it handles both aspects of its "split personality" extremely well. As entertaining as the horror comedy genre has ever been.

A

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Amazing film, one of the best horror movies I've ever seen, and I love how the guys heard the rules of a Horror movie and 10 seconds later they start breaking the rules :P , great parody/horror film.

A

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:03 pm
Waitress in LA

I love this movie but I heard they're making a part four. That's a bad idea.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:43 pm
loyalfromlondon

trixster wrote:
It's one of the few horrors I can think of that walks such a fine line with its tone between scare and satire and yet absolutely nails it.

yoshue wrote:
but this first one manages to toe that line between parody and scary really, really well

THIEF!

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:45 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

trixster wrote:
trixster wrote:
It's one of the few horrors I can think of that walks such a fine line with its tone between scare and satire and yet absolutely nails it.

yoshue wrote:
but this first one manages to toe that line between parody and scary really, really well

THIEF!

It was an homage. To my favorite poster not named makeshift, snack, kypade or Argos.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 am
loyalfromlondon

I suppose you could say thompsoncory was doing the same thing, then.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 am
Sbil

trixster wrote:

thompsoncory posted in this thread before you

In conclusion: NO.

:lol:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:16 am
loyalfromlondon

Libs wrote:
trixster wrote:

You missed the joke; I was referring to a comment yoshue made about thompsoncory's review of that Latino Christmas movie, where he stole yosh's comment about Rachel Getting Married.

Inside snob joke, y'know?

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:19 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

trixster wrote:
Libs wrote:
trixster wrote:

You missed the joke; I was referring to a comment yoshue made about thompsoncory's review of that Latino Christmas movie, where he stole yosh's comment about Rachel Getting Married.

Inside snob joke, y'know?

I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about until I actually looked up both reviews. Ever hear of coincidence? :roll:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:51 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next