Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bad Moms 

Rate this film:
A 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Bad Moms 
Pure Phase

Post Bad Moms

Quote:
Bad Moms is a 2016 American comedy film directed and written by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. The film stars Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, Kathryn Hahn, Annie Mumolo, Jay Hernandez, Jada Pinkett Smith and Christina Applegate.

Principal photography began on January 11, 2016 in New Orleans. The film premiered on July 19, 2016 in New York City and was theatrically released on July 29, 2016 by STX Entertainment. It received mixed reviews from critics and has grossed over $85 million.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:14 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Bad Moms
I thought this was hilarious and almost as good as Bridesmaids, which was pretty surprising as it didn't look this good from the trailers. Kathryn Hahn is the scene-stealer but both Kunis and Bell are great as well and have some good lines. Will easily be one of the funniest movies of the year.

Grade: 9/10 (A-)

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a fun movie which ends very predictably though its definitely R. There are quite a few LOL scenes in this specially the one that describing erection with Bell's sweater. The PTA thing though was kinda unnecessary and I thought something else could have been done with this concept. The whole election thing was to bring in a heartfelt ending which actually takes away a lot from the movie. The ending with Moms describing their famous daughters was cute but tonally different. I am sure the female audience will be very pleased with that.

7/10

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:18 am
You must have big rats

So this film seriously tries to convince the audiences that Mila Kunis would have difficulties getting laid in a bar full of blokes? Right....

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Bad Moms is one of the funniest "women being bad zomg!" movies since Bridesmaids, which is a huge surprise considering how lame the trailers are. There was nothing to indicate the fun screenplay and fantastically committed performances by a great group of actresses; Mila Kunis is a dependable anchor, Kristen Bell gives an endearingly off-kilter performance, Christina Applegate plays a bitch on wheels to perfection. The standout performance is given, of course, by Kathryn Hahn, who runs away with the movie. As funny as the movie is, what might actually be the best part is what plays during the end credits. I won't give it away, but it's actually pretty emotional and presents a lovely tribute to moms everywhere. B+

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:15 pm
Cream of the Crop

Bad Moms is a surprisingly old-fashioned life-affirming comedy. At least that's the structure of the story, because the film's message is sadly still kinda radical. Plus it's an old school R-rated gross out party movie. Either way, the mix works just fine in the able hands of the lead actors: Mila Kunis can do no wrong! *A*

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:23 pm
Superman: The Movie

Horrible. I know I'm not exactly the target demographics, but I'd like to think I know funny. And I'm an easy laugh.

I laughed twice and chuckled maybe a couple of other times. Martha Stewart might have the biggest laugh in the film. That's kind of a problem.

And it would've been nice if the characters were characters and not caricatures. You know who was an interesting character? Christina Applegate. What do we know about her? Nothing until the obligatory scene at the end where she spills her guts and the film reminds us that Kunis's character is really a nice person because she still has sympathy towards her after all that happened.

I also found the gender politics to be...interesting. Now to be fair, this is a wish-fulfillment/fantasy film (at least I hope so) for all the moms out there. But not one sympathetic man character? Not one realistic man in the film (As Lecter eluded to, none of them wanted Kunis at the bar? They all suddenly grew consciences?) To be fair, comedies have been short-changing women for years, so yay, let's do it right back! But shouldn't the goal be to surpass that? Maybe later and let's have fun for now? Fine. David Walton's character...what the hell was that? How does he have a job? How is he a functioning adult? How the fuck did she not snap YEARS ago? Why does he never return for his car? And after the blow up at the therapist's office (seeing Wanda Sykes at least put a smile on my face) after we've gone the entire film of seeing him not be empathetic (let alone a barely functioning person) he somehow finds the idea/empathy to apologize and hug. Based on what the film shows us, how did he suddenly put two and two together? And how does the Kristen Bell marriage not end in a murder/suicide?

All of that could be forgiven if the movie was funny. It isn't. This is as safe and as bland as comedy can get...unless we count something like Mother's Day as a comedy. The film at least isn't that bad. That film has its own special place in hell. Bad Moms is just bad.

D-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Eh. The best way I can describe this is that it's 'fine.' Most of it works thanks to an incredible ensemble cast that makes the most of what frankly is a very shitty and formulaic script. The plot itself is stupid and the PTA angle doesn't work at all. Best in show is Kathryn Hahn, who steals every scene she's in and goes the most off-book I'm assuming of the main cast members. She is hilarious. Kristen Bell also has some funny moments as does Annie Mumolo. Mila Kunis does fine but honestly I think she plays way too young for the role she has here (and I don't care if they write her off as being 20 when she got married). I thought Christina Applegate and Jada Pinkett Smith were both wasted. The whole thing feels very sitcom-like in its direction too from the overbearing pop-heavy soundtrack to the bad lighting. It's pleasant in the moment but unspectacular and easily forgettable. It certainly doesn't reach the heights of the many movies it emulates. In terms of summer comedies Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates was so much funnier and more charming. C/C+

Last edited by thompsoncory on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:46 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Magic Mike wrote:
I thought this was hilarious and almost as good as Bridesmaids, which was pretty surprising as it didn't look this good from the trailers. Kathryn Hahn is the scene-stealer but both Kunis and Bell are great as well and have some good lines. Will easily be one of the funniest movies of the year.

Oh my god this isn't even in the same league as Bridesmaids. It's not even in the same league as Sisters from 8 months ago!

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:48 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

thompsoncory wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

Oh my god this isn't even in the same league as Bridesmaids. It's not even in the same league as Sisters from 8 months ago!

I thought it was funnier than Sisters.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:39 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The soundtrack in this movie was hugely obnoxious. Every single scene was backed by some generic top-40 song that was more distracting than anything else - the music coordinator had no idea what they were doing.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:59 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also, I'm a huge Kristen Bell fan, but I truly thought that You Again and When In Rome (which got ripped to shreds by critics) were funnier than this movie. Good for her that she's headlining a hit though. I'm happy this is doing well because I really do love all the actresses. I just wish it was better.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:03 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

Libs wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

I thought it was funnier than Sisters.

Bobby Moynihan alone in Sisters is funnier than anything in Bad Moms. Now throw in Fey and Poehler and it's no contest.

thompsoncory wrote:
The soundtrack in this movie was hugely obnoxious. Every single scene was backed by some generic top-40 song that was more distracting than anything else - the music coordinator had no idea what they were doing.

Yep. By song two I was annoyed. By song six I wanted blood. Every big scene is punctuated by some dumb obvious anthem.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jay Hernandez is hot.

I laughed more than I thought it would. I enjoyed it although it's funny how they make a joke about asians not getting into Ivy League schools and there's no asians in this movie lol.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

One of the funniest movies of the last five years. Absolutely hilarious.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:47 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is so bad :P The fantastic reception it's getting is honestly baffling, especially since with this cast and premise this should have been something I loved.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:16 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Maybe you should get a sense of humor. Sorry you're a boring, unfunny person.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:47 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The theater we saw it in last night was packed, and it got GREAT reception. You obviously missed something.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:48 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Chippy wrote:
Maybe you should get a sense of humor. Sorry you're a boring, unfunny person.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:50 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah, be more like her.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:30 pm
Wallflower

Cory, the problem isn't the movie, it's you :P. LOL. The movie is very fun and funny. It's so weird you didn't like it.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:08 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I know where cory is coming from in terms of the use of cast and premise but I disagree with him that the film is not funny enough, but maybe he was expecting something else out of this movie, which is something I don't get because the trailers promised a horrible movie.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:15 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It would have been enjoyable with a less annoying soundtrack and a better director and script ;) I can't believe how no one is commenting on how choppy the directing is here - it's so bad. The awful slo-mo walking scenes, hideous lighting, awkward shots (the Mila spaghetti gag comes to mind, it's clearly supposed to provoke guffaws but I just rolled my eyes). It's like Suicide Squad level (on a lesser scale, but still).

Really the movie is only worth seeing for Kathryn Hahn.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:54 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Jmart wrote:
Horrible. I know I'm not exactly the target demographics, but I'd like to think I know funny. And I'm an easy laugh.

I laughed twice and chuckled maybe a couple of other times. Martha Stewart might have the biggest laugh in the film. That's kind of a problem.

And it would've been nice if the characters were characters and not caricatures. You know who was an interesting character? Christina Applegate. What do we know about her? Nothing until the obligatory scene at the end where she spills her guts and the film reminds us that Kunis's character is really a nice person because she still has sympathy towards her after all that happened.

I also found the gender politics to be...interesting. Now to be fair, this is a wish-fulfillment/fantasy film (at least I hope so) for all the moms out there. But not one sympathetic man character? Not one realistic man in the film (As Lecter eluded to, none of them wanted Kunis at the bar? They all suddenly grew consciences?) To be fair, comedies have been short-changing women for years, so yay, let's do it right back! But shouldn't the goal be to surpass that? Maybe later and let's have fun for now? Fine. David Walton's character...what the hell was that? How does he have a job? How is he a functioning adult? How the fuck did she not snap YEARS ago? Why does he never return for his car? And after the blow up at the therapist's office (seeing Wanda Sykes at least put a smile on my face) after we've gone the entire film of seeing him not be empathetic (let alone a barely functioning person) he somehow finds the idea/empathy to apologize and hug. Based on what the film shows us, how did he suddenly put two and two together? And how does the Kristen Bell marriage not end in a murder/suicide?

All of that could be forgiven if the movie was funny. It isn't. This is as safe and as bland as comedy can get...unless we count something like Mother's Day as a comedy. The film at least isn't that bad. That film has its own special place in hell. Bad Moms is just bad.

D-

The reason Bad Moms is doing so well at the box office is directly due to the motivation behind reviews like the above.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jmart wanting a decent male character is fucking HILARIOUS. Fuck that shit.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next