Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ghostbusters (2016) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Ghostbusters (2016) 
now we know

I quite enjoyed this. The two anchors, Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, were very good, especially Wigg. McKinnon was annoying as hell and not funny in the slightest (she should be dropped from any sequel). And Leslie Jones was also present (surprisingly not too irritating). The cameos worked well, and I for one loved seeing them (apart from Weaver, by which point it seemed like overkill and was pretty lame as a cameo anyway). Chris Hemsworth steals the show here. He was the cause of 90% of the humour, which is embarrassing when you've got so many actual comedians in the film! But who cares. I can't say "the film was a blast", but it was at least a pleasant surprise. I don't have any nostalgic bias towards the original Ghostbusters films, which made it easier for me to swallow this remake/reboot.

The effects are superb, the film nips along at a really digestible pace, each character is written well enough that they stand out as having their own personality (even if it is somewhat copied from the male Ghostbusters), and it even has some jumpy scenes. All in all, not a bad remake/reboot.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Ghostbusters

I quite enjoyed this. The two anchors, Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, were very good, especially Wigg. McKinnon was annoying as hell and not funny in the slightest (she should be dropped from any sequel). And Leslie Jones was also present (surprisingly not too irritating). The cameos worked well, and I for one loved seeing them (apart from Weaver, by which point it seemed like overkill and was pretty lame as a cameo anyway). Chris Hemsworth steals the show here. He was the cause of 90% of the humour, which is embarrassing when you've got so many actual comedians in the film! But who cares. I can't say "the film was a blast", but it was at least a pleasant surprise. I don't have any nostalgic bias towards the original Ghostbusters films, which made it easier for me to swallow this remake/reboot.

The effects are superb, the film nips along at a really digestible pace, each character is written well enough that they stand out as having their own personality (even if it is somewhat copied from the male Ghostbusters), and it even has some jumpy scenes. All in all, not a bad remake/reboot.

B

:thumbsup:

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:09 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Ghostbusters (2016)
Aint no bitches can be Ghostbusters.

This was really good for the first 2/3rds, up until the end of the concert. Telling the story from Wiig's point of view was the right move. The action packed finale, which is usually why I like these type of movies, felt really out of place though. From that point on all the jokes are just call backs to the original Ghostbusters.

It still worked though and I hope we get a sequel with the same cast and crew.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

I enjoyed this like the other Feig-McCarthy films. McKinnon is show stealer as the weirdo tech geek, and Wiig gives one of her best performances. Hemsworth was funny too as the male version of the dumb blonde. I thought it lost a little steam in the last third comedically but the ghosts were overall cool. I'd be up for the sequel that's never happening.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:50 am
The Kramer

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Aint no bitches can be Ghostbusters.

This was really good for the first 2/3rds, up until the end of the concert. Telling the story from Wiig's point of view was the right move. The action packed finale, which is usually why I like these type of movies, felt really out of place though. From that point on all the jokes are just call backs to the original Ghostbusters.

It still worked though and I hope we get a sequel with the same cast and crew.

Watched it again for the first time since 16. Wiig, Hemsworth and McKinnon are great, McCarthy is fine but doesn't totally fit with the vibes of the other two. I know she was an A-lister at the time, but still.. The villain is awful and definitely drags the first half of the film down when they could have just had him as a ghost all along. I found the action climax more exciting this time around though, and whoever decided to edit the dance sequence out of the theatrical cut deserves to be fired. Thank goodness for director's cuts! I'll stick with my original B+ grade and still hope they find a way to combine this world with the new one.

Oh, and in the DC they change the line to "aint no bitches can hunt ghosts" which is just as funny, but Kristen doesn't deliver it with the same "WTF?" in her voice. So TC does win one scene. :funny:

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2