Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Mad Max: Fury Road 

What grade would you give this film?
A 73%  73%  [ 27 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 37

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Mad Max: Fury Road

Quote:
Mad Max: Fury Road is a 2015 Australian post-apocalyptic action thriller film directed, produced, and co-written by George Miller, and the fourth film of Miller's Mad Max franchise. The first film of the franchise in 30 years, Fury Road stars Tom Hardy as "Mad" Max Rockatansky, making it also the first Mad Max film not to feature Mel Gibson in the title role. The film also stars Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult.

The film had its world premiere on 7 May 2015 at the TCL Chinese Theatre. It began wide theatrical release on 14 May 2015, including an out-of-competition screening at the 68th Cannes Film Festival.

Fri May 15, 2015 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Mad Max: Fury Road
I think I may go see it again as recently I've been plagued by being very tired every time I go to the theater recently to the point where I doze off... but I was overall not that impressed on initial viewing.

Fri May 15, 2015 10:06 am
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

A+

Saw it last night, fantastic! :cool:

Fri May 15, 2015 10:17 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Anyone who dislikes this is insane :P

This is a masterpiece - it's the best action movie I've seen since the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight movies, and easily one of the most intense films I've ever seen. I felt physically exhausted by the time it was over. Despite the movie essentially being one long chase sequence it's never boring and you really come to care a lot about these characters - they manage to develop them a lot and all the performances are wonderful. Tom Hardy is a badass lead and once again gives a performance that is mostly reliant on his facial expressions and body language. I also ended up loving Nicholas Hoult here and his character's arc was really satisfying. Enough can't be said about how good Charlize Theron is here. She runs away with the entire movie. This is her best performance since Monster. Of course, most people will be seeing this for the action setpieces, and it does not disappoint in that department. The canyon sequence as well as the climax are two of the most inventive and craziest action sequences I've ever seen. It's even more impressive considering how much of this was done with practical effects. Add into that some amazing production design and a pulse-pounding score, and this is basically all you could want in a movie. It's basically perfect, I'm already obsessed with it and I want to see it again. A+

Fri May 15, 2015 10:33 am
Profile YIM
Superfreak

thompsoncory wrote:
Anyone who dislikes this is insane :P

This is a masterpiece - it's the best action movie I've seen since the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight movies, and easily one of the most intense films I've ever seen. I felt physically exhausted by the time it was over. Despite the movie essentially being one long chase sequence it's never boring and you really come to care a lot about these characters - they manage to develop them a lot and all the performances are wonderful. Tom Hardy is a badass lead and once again gives a performance that is mostly reliant on his facial expressions and body language. I also ended up loving Nicholas Hoult here and his character's arc was really satisfying. Enough can't be said about how good Charlize Theron is here. She runs away with the entire movie. This is her best performance since Monster. Of course, most people will be seeing this for the action setpieces, and it does not disappoint in that department. The canyon sequence as well as the climax are two of the most inventive and craziest action sequences I've ever seen. It's even more impressive considering how much of this was done with practical effects. Add into that some amazing production design and a pulse-pounding score, and this is basically all you could want in a movie. It's basically perfect, I'm already obsessed with it and I want to see it again. A+

:D :D :D

Fri May 15, 2015 10:36 am
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah, this is probably the weakest R rated movie I've ever seen. The action is awesome, thanks to probably the best cinematography I've seen in film that really refreshed the genre since I don't know Saving Private Ryan iconicness.

This is hardly a Mad Max film though. Even if he is in the majority of the film, he has very little to do with the overall plot. Even Hoult seems more connected to the story than Max (Maybe that's the intention, Max always getting into the middle of something, but Hardy has so few lines he's very little connected to Gibson's Max, he's easily the weak point of the film. Not enough to reintroduce the character to audiences to remember) But that's not say he still isn't bad ass and good.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 15, 2015 1:35 pm
Extraordinary

A very good film but not as great as reviews say9calling it the best action film in years, nope), But it is the best action film i have seen this year so far. Also, the movie is called Mad Max just to have a selling point because Max really isn't even the main character, they could have easily not have his characater in the film and nothing would change.

B

Fri May 15, 2015 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Max didn't need to have any more dialogue than he did though. It would have felt out of character. I thought his motivations and character arc worked completely with the amount of material he was given, particularly due to Tom Hardy's performance.

Fri May 15, 2015 1:43 pm
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

I love the original trilogy. It's just disappointing to see Max go from Snake Plisken/ Ash from Evil Dead awesome to being the most forgettable part of the film. Not even close to the original character.

And Jesus the first half of the film he is so close to Bane (Even with Mask and funky effects to his narration) You can tell the story shifted completely after Gibson left the project back in what 2004. It's a shame could have been a major comeback for him as an older grizzled Max could have worked really well.

(They say when they were trying to work him back in, he was going to be with the Mom's they travel to and he took part in the final battle)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 15, 2015 2:04 pm
Superfreak

Enjoyable enough movie but critics praise no doubt excessive. Theron is the main character and is more interesting than Max hands down.

I'm sure it will find its audience but it's a little too "out there" for mainstream.

Sat May 16, 2015 12:29 am
Extraordinary

I appreciate the action and visuals but I just could not get myself to care about any of the characters so the stakes weren't that high as I was following the action. Mad Max/Hardy felt sort of under the radar to me idk. It's an interesting film but not quite worth the hype.

I also don't see how this is classified as "non-stop action!!!", there are plenty of breather scenes.

Sat May 16, 2015 12:35 am
---------

I really loved it. I thought Max's presence in the film was fine and still served as the main character (not that it matters much when the film is this great). The action was very refreshing compared to a lot of the repititive big action sequences from recent blockbusters.

So what were the white zombie guys spraying in their mouths?

Sat May 16, 2015 12:38 am
Extraordinary

so out of curiosity does Hardy's Mad Max even resemble/connect to the other films?

Sat May 16, 2015 2:43 am
Pure Phase

They reference his daughter's death in the first film, and he has the iconic Mad Max Interceptor car at the start.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 16, 2015 10:38 am
why so serious?

In two words: Fucking awesome.

In more than two words: It's not often that a summer blockbuster leaves me speechless, but Mad Max: Fury Road accomplished that very feat. It's a bold and crazily entertaining action movie that makes the absolute most of director George Miller's vision. The world and characters feel well-realized; but while that's no small feat considering the genre and the inherent expansiveness of a post-apocalyptic universe, the set pieces are what truly elevate the film to greatness. The action sequences are brilliantly composed and executed, and they carry both a greater visual splendor and visceral thump than anything in a huge-budget film since at least The Dark Knight Rises, if not earlier. The brazen energy in these sequences is unlike anything in other major studio action films in quite some time, and it's astounding to consider that a major studio really let Miller get away with the frame rate changes and purposefully jarring cuts that lend a rough hew to these sequences that fits perfectly with the film's rough-and-tumble setting. It also benefits from very memorable performances from Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult. Theron instantly takes her place among the great badass action heroines with a thoroughly committed performance and a dominating screen presence. Hoult, who provides some of the most bizarrely eye-catching moments in the ad campaign, goes for broke with a performance that is by different turns batty and surprisingly poignant. Tom Hardy isn't as memorable as Max, but he eases into the role well enough to make audiences forget about Mel Gibson. As a whole, the film is so brilliantly entertaining that I was left wanting even further adventures as soon as it ended. I haven't been this thoroughly satisfied with a big-budget action film in years.

A

Sat May 16, 2015 12:22 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Balls to the wall non-stop action. I really loved the set piece and action sequence. It also helps that all the characters are weird. The concept is nothing new with Mad Max saving a bunch of Victoria Secrets Angels and stuff but man does it keep your eyes glued on the screen because of the weird shit. Like this duded spraying the other guys face in the face with grey paint. Oh and I agree with Magnus on the guitar guy. At first I was like "Cool drum dudes" and the guitar dude popped along. Its too bad he didn't do the Angus Young strut.

I would say that the movie resembles the Borderland video game than the old school Mad Max but there is nothing wrong with that. I still am not decided if I like the Road Warrior or Fury Road better. One thing for certain is that it didn't suck like the Total Recall and Robocop remakes.

Sat May 16, 2015 6:20 pm
We had our time together

-

Last edited by Riggs on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 17, 2015 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Balls to the wall, relentless and gloriously insane. The cinematic equivalent of a 2-hour rollercoaster. A-

Also, Charlize Theron kicks so much ass here.

Sun May 17, 2015 11:35 am
Forum General

This was awesome. Maybe a teeny bit over hyped considering the overwhelming love the film has received from critics but it was a great time.

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 17, 2015 12:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I was moved.

Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

What a unique, frenetic, kinetic, fleshed-out vision of future Earth & humanity. Who killed the world? Crazy fuckin movie. Not sure if I loved it yet, torn between liking it and really liking it.

Sun May 17, 2015 6:47 pm
Top Poster

Wow rare is the film that totally lives up to the hype and trailers. This was fantastic with very little to nit-pick about. So much to see and go back and analyze which is going to warrant a repeat visit for me maybe a 2 or 3 times. I'd love to see a pre-quel based on the end of the world and Immortan Joe's rise rather than a sequel first.

Sun May 17, 2015 7:58 pm
The Kramer

Fury Road is a fine action movie. I guess I'm disappointed that is all it was though.

Don't believe the hype. All the talk of relentless, exhausting, non-stop, balls to the walls, etc... is clearly coming from people who haven't seen either of The Raids. I'm fine with downtime, but I don't like it when a movies pacing is go-Go-GO-GO-GO-GO-stoppppppppppppppppppppp-go-Go. Age Of Ultron had the same pacing problems. If you're gonna do a movie like this just get the set up out of the way at the beginning. We don't need to spend 10 minutes introducing new good guys (girls) that are just there to die in the next scene.

I'm disappointed in what the movie wasn't, but what is there is pretty damn good. The plot and characters are engaging. I didn't care about the girls individually, but I was invested in seeing them get away from the Big Bad. Hoult's babyface turn comes a little too easily, yet I enjoyed his journey and wish he could have at least lived enough to get some red strange. Max is mostly just there to shoot stuff, which is fine, the movie didn't need him to have a bigger dramatic arc than good ole redemption. Theron's character is the true star of the film, and probably should have been in the ads more. So the movie is fine for what it is, I just got caught up in the reviews/trailers hype and wanted a lot more. I think I said the same thing about The Road Warrior when I watched it ten years ago, so I guess its fitting.

The flamethrower guitarist is the best. I marked out every time he popped up.

Sun May 17, 2015 10:04 pm
Romosexual!

Yep totally lived up to the trailer n hype :D I want more of this world. Prequel,sequel, whatever!

Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:

Don't believe the hype. All the talk of relentless, exhausting, non-stop, balls to the walls, etc... is clearly coming from people who haven't seen either of The Raids. I'm fine with downtime, but I don't like it when a movies pacing is go-Go-GO-GO-GO-GO-stoppppppppppppppppppppp-go-Go. .

Speak for yourself and I loved both of the Raid films

Sun May 17, 2015 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next