Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Interstellar 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Interstellar 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Interstellar
I am starting to believe that Nolan had daddy issues.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
Spoiler: show
I'm a huge cynic and I don't get the hate against the power of love. Of all the things to hate, love isn't one of them. I don't find it to be corny at all.

The issues I have with the film is moreso stuff like Matt Damon's character, who appears mainly to have a late-game antagonistic/villain role when the film desperately needs it at that point. His dialogue (and delivery) is so pathetic and the fight between him and MM is comical. Also, the casting of Damon (who I knew would be in it as I knew he had a secret role) was a bad choice because having someone that famous in that role was very distracting. He comes in so late and exists so briefly that he exists solely as Matt Damon, which is an issue with a film like this. Nolan said that he was influenced by Treasure of Sierra Madre and Damon's character is the clear product of this influence. But it is executed very poorly (except for his actual death scene, which was very well done).

Also, older Tom's whole stick up his ass routine was just unnecessary. In fact, Tom as a whole was just unnecessary outside of that brief montage of confessions where we see him grow up and get the sense of time passing by. And I get the whole point of his wife/kid having bad lungs was to reinforce that time is ticking and everybody is about to die but the film establishes this well enough without having to show this.

Also, I was a big defender of Inception and its exposition because I felt it wasn't as boring as people made it out to be and because I felt much of it is necessary. But I won't be as defensive with this. A lot of Interstellar's exposition is repetitive, distracting, bland, and unnecessary. I get there's a lot of science going on but you don't need to keep repeating it. Say it and if the audience doesn't get it, who the fuck cares just keep going. Also, I think they repeat "I'm your ghost" four times in the film. Once would have been enough. Also, Cooper saying that humans built that 5th dimension/bookshelf was weak. I feel that Nolan was so adamant in saying that there are no aliens or higher power (i.e. God) that he forced that line and purposefully killed any mystery/ambiguity. I think the film actually could have worked a bit better if it was a bit more ambiguous/mysterious and opened up the possibility of aliens/God.

Also, the film's pacing in the beginning is a bit off. It starts slowly and then once they get to NASA, rushes quickly to get space. There's hardly any struggle for Cooper in deciding to leave while he's on Earth. Perhaps that was the aim, as the film wants to focus more on the regret/guilt after the decision has been made.

Also, the black guy doesn't get his due. He's been waiting TWENTY THREE YEARS for them. They fucking need to go into that. Hell, the dude even commented how much it scares him being on the ship knowing that there's just a bunch of space and darkness around him. Damon keeps crying how crappy it was for him waiting alone and I'm like, "the black dude had it worse!" And then he dies for no real good reason except that they needed to kick start that final race sequence (which is so good that I guess I'm willing to overlook how they get there).

Lecter made a comment on FB that the film should had either been shorter or been perhaps even longer and I agree with that. Either cut the unnecessary elements or expand all the elements even more. The film didn't drag for me at all but I don't think it should have been 169min. It could have been 140min and still done its job. Or it could have been 210min and possibly be even more epic and realized and a true masterpiece.

Basically, the film repeats itself a lot when it doesn't need to and then doesn't go deeper in some parts when it should. And it also has some unnecessary/poorly executed characters.

But thematically, I had very little issue with the film. The ensemble casting is strong (Damon being the exception), with MM/Jessica C/child Murph giving stand out performances. The cinematography is beautiful. The set pieces are brilliantly done. The sound mixing is perfect (I don't understand how people can't understand the dialogue. My theater's system was perfect). And the score is one of my favorite of recent years.

Sounds like TDKR. TDKR was 20 or 30 minutes away from being runaway better than TDKR. Instead it underdeveloped/rushed in some areas regardless of how thematically strong it was.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:37 pm
You must have big rats

Hmm, never thought about it, but yeah, Nolan's films have so far zero happy romantic relationships/marriages, unless you count that ending shot of TDKR with Hathaway and Bale.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Iron Man

I just saw this so I have to let it wash over me through the night. But this is my initial reaction. Amazing visuals. Intriguing, thought-provoking, ambitious story. It was all very intense and emotionally draining. But I also had problems with the unsubtle and sometimes cringeworthy dialogue, the pace, and I felt in a few areas that Nolan was overreaching. But honestly I prefer a film that is overly ambitious in this way, rather than not. Have not decided on a grade yet.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:23 am
Forum General

It honestly has the potential to be Nolan's greatest film. The groundwork is there and it really just needs time now to sprinkle over to shoot over films like Batman and such.

Anyway, I, too had problems with the film. It's great in places but has its fair share of flaws. It does drag in many places, and as Magnus said, is repetitive. Certain elements that you wanted to be developed further were left off and others were unnecessarily elongated.

I'm a sucker for world building so perhaps delving a bit more into the world and its stakes would have been nice, even if the story, at heart is the relationship between dad and daughter. The acting is superb from MM and JChastain. The writing in places is dodgy. The score is better than most of Nolan's films. The best thing this movie has going for it is that it manages to create and capture the magic of cinema. Certain segments, sequences, moments are meant to be seen on the big screen. It's beautiful to watch. It captures life.

However, I have little excitement in tackling the entire monster again. The writing is not sharp enough, the story not engaging enough and the direction not tight enough to make me eager for another go. It's just really, really long and you feel the time.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I think the flaws that this has (not that well developed characters being the big one) is overshadowed by how big and grand the whole production feels. I enjoyed this way more than Gravity. The film is bloated but not in a way that makes the film drag for too long. I think I'll see this again in a week probably.

I heard some girls cry at the end. I don't think I was that emotionally affected by the film but in awe of how sumptuous it looked.

I liked Gravity a whole lot more.

The most emotionally affecting scene is the 23 year sequence, starting from when they meet Rom.

There is some idiotic writing though with Doyle just standing there like a toolbag and not acknowledging the wave. Why doesn't he just go in first? Because they needed a character to die is not a good answer. I didn't think the sound mixing was too good because I couldn't hear in bits and places, but why did Hathaway want to get the data, I mean, the woman's dead, there's only water and fucking tsunamis... and then her character development was spotty after that. Suddenly there's love and then there's bitchiness and neediness and idiocy and sciency.

I didn't mind Matt Damon's character, even if it was predictable. I just think the betrayal could have been handled much better.

All in all, it's not as mindboggingly stupid, irrelevant and idiotic as Prometheus' excuse of a film and it deserves its praise for its good points. Prometheus...just looks good I guess.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

This is an interesting case where I agree with both the positive and the negative reviews. I'll start with the positives. This is a truly beautiful movie to look at. The cinematography and special effects are just stunning and at times awe inspiring. Matthew McConaughey gives an incredibly emotional and heartfelt performance. Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain and pretty much everyone else are very good in their roles, though I agree Hathaway's character is incredibly underdeveloped. The score is fantastic, as is the sound editing. The first two thirds are actually quite fantastic, I don't get the hate for the beginning of the movie. I thought it flowed nicely and was a great set up.

That being said, a certain character that comes up near the end is just terrible, as is the person playing him (I don't understand why it's a "spoiler," so I won't spoil it). His final two scenes are laughable. The film is a tad too ambitious and over Nolan's head. He tries his hardest but the big reveal just goes on forever and dialogue in that scene is cringe worthy at best. Not to compare but I can't imagine how some of the same people that ragged on Gravity's dialogue are loving this, it was much more cheesier and over the top here. At times the whole "power of love!" message was over the top.

With all of that being said, flaws and all, this was a very, very well made movie and mostly entertaining. There is a lot to love here and while it isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it will stay in your head and I fully recommend you check it out.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:05 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I don't know, I honestly had no issue with the dialogue in Gravity. The dialogue in the book shelf scene here was just horrendous. I agree it would have been a great scene had there been no dialogue.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Just got back from this. It's not what I wanted. I wanted a space exploration film. I figured I wasn't getting that when I saw the trailer, but I guess I was holding out hope. There are enough positives here for me to give it a B. But I feel no need to ever see it again. I felt the same way about Inception.

Positives:

Acting: All around great, and I was especially impressed by the girl who played 10 year old Murph.
Visuals: Stunning
I also give it points for being ambitious, but it goes too far.

Negatives:

Score: I think the score of the movie should compliment what's going on in the film. While there are moments where this score does that well, there are also moments where it overshadows everything else, and I hate that. The score should not be so jarring that it drowns out dialogue.

Plot: I wanted a space exploration movie and I got a movie whose resolution is...
That the future of humanity discovers that love and gravity transcend space/time and they learn how to manipulate that to save the species. WTF?

Also, I would have liked some more back story on how Earth got to such a desperate situation.

Ugh. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get with the whole twisted plot, pretty much everything after discovering NASA.

I'd watch Contact 20 more times before I watched Interstellar again, but Interstellar is still better than Gravity.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Best movie of the year. Best in-theater experience I've ever had (RPX - it's the only time I can remember where the sound made me feel completely immersed) and its a perfect 155 minute movie. The only problem is the movie is 163 minutes (without credits). The last eight minutes felt like two execs from Paramount and Warner Brothers each held a gun at the editor's head (Nolan really) demanding the film get in under three hours so they can get a few extra showtimes from theaters. Show the ship, show a little bit more of the environment within the ship, AND spend more than two damn minutes for the reunion we've all been waiting for. I felt like Nolan dropped the ball a little bit at the end with the emotion. Maybe it was because of the actress change (no disrespect to Burstyn) but fake makeup and all, she should've been in that bet. Her two video scenes are completely killer and make us really care. There's no need to change actresses. Her last scene is kissing Topher Grace? Noooo.

And despite its almost perfect running time, I really hope there's a longer cut out there. That I think could be a true masterpiece. The film did feel ever so slightly choppy in parts (aside from the ending). I know Nolan doesn't do director's cuts, but please let there be one out there.

Amazing theatrical experience, slightly flawed ending, slightly better than Gravity, best movie of the year.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I missed a plot point, can someone explain to me how...

How Murph saved the population after finding the gravity equation? I thought saving humans required two parts, having the gravity equation and having a planet to put them on. I thought the last scene with Anne Hathaway just arriving implies her planet wasn't the one that humans had been living on all these decades? Were they basically just living in spaceships for 40-50 years Battlestar Galactica style?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:49 am
100% That Bitch

It..... It made me feel stuff no other 2014 movie has done.

It is flawled but the closest thing to a flawed masterpiece.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:08 am
The Incredible Hulk

WOM is going to kill this film. What a mess of a movie.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:31 am
Killing With Kindness

This movie :shock: I don't want to grade it without a 2nd viewing but holy shit.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

INTERSTELLAR

I really enjoyed the film. The story was interesting and kept my attention from beginning to the end. I had no problem with how it ended somehow circling back to events from the beginning. I thought the spaceship designs and robot was good. I enjoyed the humor utilized with the robot. The acting was excellent. McConaughey was probably more superior in this role than Dallas Buyers Club. I felt alot more emotion and connection with this performance. I think the scene that got me most was when he review the 23 years of messages he missed because of his time on that water planet. I liked all the other actors as well. Matt Damon's role was a surprise more than his turn but I didn't totally see that coming. I thought the visual effects were very good. I kind of wish this film had utilized 3D because there are more than a few shots that I think could have been enhanced with it like during the huge wave, the worm hole and black hole sequences. I think the most tense moment I experienced was during Damon's takeover of one of the ships and his determination to dock with the main vessel.
Overall, it was a fantastic film that I look forward to watching again this weekend but on an IMAX screen. Last night, it was on essentially what seemed like a large tv screen.

Grade - A

I'm not sure if this is my favorite film of the year yet. I'm torn between Gone Girl/ Guardians of the Galaxy and now Interstellar at the moment.

Now, a couple things that are nitpicky. I did kind of get sleepy at some point during the film. Can't remember when but maybe it was a teeny bit too long.

Second, after McConaughey is using whatever it was to communicate to the past or something he is talking with the robot and tells the robot that "we" created it. I guess he was talking about humans having created it somehow. Is that right? That was a bit confusing to me. Was the past that he was communicating in another time line in the Universe?

After reading the thread I have one more negative, the sound of the actors was muffled either by overly loud music or something wasn't right. There were more than a couple occasions where it was a struggle to hear what someone was saying.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 am
We had our time together

BJ wrote:
This movie :shock: I don't want to grade it without a 2nd viewing but holy shit.

Pretty much.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

nghtvsn wrote:
After reading the thread I have one more negative, the sound of the actors was muffled either by overly loud music or something wasn't right. There were more than a couple occasions where it was a struggle to hear what someone was saying.

Oh, that's a Nolan trademark. It's called the BANE sound mix. :yes:

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:15 am
We had our time together

Shack wrote:

How Murph saved the population after finding the gravity equation? I thought saving humans required two parts, having the gravity equation and having a planet to put them on. I thought the last scene with Anne Hathaway just arriving implies her planet wasn't the one that humans had been living on all these decades? Were they basically just living in spaceships for 40-50 years Battlestar Galactica style?

They were at the third planet.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

The fact that people are discussing the film in spoilers shows that it will bomb, imo.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:40 am
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
i honsetly feel the sound issue with the film has a lot to do with each theater. I geniunely did not feel there was any issue with the score being too loud or the actors voices being muffled.

That was something I forgot to mention in my review. A lot was mumbled at my screening as well. I had to strain to hear what was being said multiple times. Hopefully when I see it in IMAX in a few weeks I won't have this issue.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

Riggs wrote:
Shack wrote:

So basically -

- After Brand lands on the planet and confirms it's good, Murph takes the humans there

- Like 40 years pass until Coop reappears, so the planet is now civilized and Brand is old

- Murph is telling Coop to go find Brand again, but the old version of her that hasn't seen him for 40 years

I guess that would make sense though it's a very awkward fit with actually showing us young Brand on the planet and Murph's narration saying "she's just arriving, etc.", which made it sound like the Brand Murph wanted Coop to go find again, was the young and alone one. Why wouldn't they just show us the old version of Brand in the new civilization waiting for him?

Or is the film trying to say that Brand had to fly by the black hole a few hours to get to her planet, meaning in present day, Brand is just arriving on the planet even though in Murph and the humans timeline 40 years have passed? This would require Murph and the humans to have established a civilization on another planet, or in a spaceship for decades

Or does young Brand unknowingly land on the planet Murph got to 40 years ago, despite not having any contact from her or Coop before deciding to go there? Just process of elimination from the other 2 planets and hope for the best?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:53 pm
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
Riggs wrote:
Shack wrote:

So basically -

- After Brand lands on the planet and confirms it's good, Murph takes the humans there

- Like 40 years pass until Coop reappears, so the planet is now civilized and Brand is old

- Murph is telling Coop to go find Brand again, but the old version of her that hasn't seen him for 40 years

I guess that would make sense though it's a very awkward fit with actually showing us young Brand on the planet and Murph's narration saying "she's just arriving, etc.", which made it sound like the Brand Murph wanted Coop to go find again, was the young and alone one. Why wouldn't they just show us the old version of Brand in the new civilization waiting for him?

Or is the film trying to say that Brand had to fly by the black hole a few hours to get to her planet, meaning in present day, Brand is just arriving on the planet even though in Murph and the humans timeline 40 years have passed? This would require Murph and the humans to have established a civilization on another planet, or in a spaceship for decades

Or does young Brand unknowingly land on the planet Murph got to 40 years ago, despite not having any contact from her or Coop before deciding to go there? Just process of elimination from the other 2 planets and hope for the best?

I thought he was like 120 something when they found MM. Wouldn't then more like 70 years have past.
Also, I'm still curious as to who "built" the library or was that more like some form of something that was not physical but a psychological creation that allowed him to communicate to his daughter.
Finally, Brand I thought was on Edmunds planet and going to settle there. While with the equation solved they could transport to any of the planets they were exploring and determine the best suitable one without actually choosing that 3rd planet.

Am I all wrong on this?

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:09 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

nghtvsn wrote:
I thought he was like 120 something when they found MM. Wouldn't then more like 70 years have past.
Also, I'm still curious as to who "built" the library or was that more like some form of something that was not physical but a psychological creation that allowed him to communicate to his daughter.
Finally, Brand I thought was on Edmunds planet and going to settle there. While with the equation solved they could transport to any of the planets they were exploring and determine the best suitable one without actually choosing that 3rd planet.

Am I all wrong on this?

I think I got it now

Apparently when the old Murph meets Coop, the humans haven't been moved to the new planet yet. They were still preparing to make the journey. Young Brand's timeline got equally as affected as Coop's by the black hole so she's still arriving on the planet in present day.

So to explain this basically there has to be a way humans survived for 40 years after Murph finds the gravity code. Seems like the best explanation is they built a sustainable space civilization and just waited, since the film made it feel like Earth had months or years left before they had to go.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:45 pm
College Boy Z

Shack...

I think that's correct. What took maybe a few hours for Brand in getting to Edmond's planet (which turned out to be the best option all along and she was right) was actually 40+ years for everyone else. So I guess people on Earth transitioned to this station until Brand completes her mission, which is really just beginning. Eventually, all the humans will transition to Edmond's planet.

My biggest question is:

Where did the Tesseract come from? This is pretty much what saves the human species as it allows Coop to transmit his message to Murph, but unless I missed this...I don't really get how the Tesseract exists.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next