Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 The Punisher (2004) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

The Punisher (2004) 
College Boy Z

Post The Punisher (2004)
The Punisher

Quote:
The Punisher is a 2004 American comic book action film, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, starring Thomas Jane as the antihero Frank Castle / The Punisher and John Travolta as the villain Howard Saint, a money launderer who orders the death of Castle's entire family. The story and plot were mainly based on two Punisher comic book stories; The Punisher: Year One and Welcome Back, Frank along with scenes from other Punisher stories such as Marvel Preview Presents: The Punisher #2, Marvel Super Action Featuring: The Punisher #1, The Punisher War Zone, and The Punisher War Journal.

The film was an attempt at rebooting the character after the failure of the 1989 film of the same name. The Punisher was shot on location in Tampa, Florida and the surrounding Tampa Bay environs in mid to late 2003. It was distributed by Lions Gate Entertainment in North America, although Artisan Entertainment, which produced 1989's The Punisher, financed and co-distributed the film with Lionsgate, while Columbia Pictures distributed the film in non-North American countries. Director Jonathan Hensleigh agreed to helm the film during its development stage despite a dispute with Marvel Studios.

The film was released on April 16, 2004, by Lions Gate Entertainment, grossing $13,834,527 in the United States over its opening weekend. A DVD release followed on September 7, 2004 - with $10.8 million in copies sold. The success of the DVD sales of the film prompted Marvel Comics and Lionsgate to start development on a sequel titled The Punisher 2, which instead became a reboot titled Punisher: War Zone after Jane and Hensleigh left the project due to creative differences. This was the last film produced by Artisan Entertainment.

A solid, comic-book adaptation. B+

Last edited by Algren on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Added the year as this is the second Punisher movie.

Sun May 01, 2005 3:40 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I love this movie more and more every time I see it. It features great violence, and a film-noir feel which is very unique for a comic book movie. I think that the depressed feel really works, and Thomas Jane is great in his portrayal of Frank Castle. Overall, a highly entertaining, and well made comic book film which I can watch over and over again.

A

Sun May 01, 2005 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

THE PUNISHER was a fun time waster. It wasn't a great movie but it was a fun one.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 01, 2005 4:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Killing With Kindness

A-

awesome film :cool:

Mon May 02, 2005 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was surprisingly excellent. Action-packed, exciting and extremely fun. One of the best action films of 2004.

8/10 (B+)

Mon May 02, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Post The Punisher: An Enjoyable Muddle!
Lotsa cool stuff going on - but the story was seriously muddled. I think it helped that the actor playing the Punisher isn't well known actor - it helped me believe I was watching a kind of Biography-from-Hell episode, and his bad acting was just part of some real life tale. He's got the look, but that voice! -- not very punishing. Also, John Travolta seemed underused, and not at his best.

I think I could probably enjoy this movie better on a second viewing, maybe next time I'll take some notes to keep all the storylines and characters straight...

An enjoyable mess.

3 out of 5.

Thu May 18, 2006 8:27 am
Squee

Great action, terrible story, and one moment of extreme over-the-top-ness. In the comics, his wife and kid is killed at a picnic. In the movie, they killed his wife, son, father, mother, 1st through 5th cousins, uncles and aunts, friends of the family, nieces, brother in laws, etc etc etc...

:glare:

Thu May 18, 2006 11:30 am
On autopilot for the summer

Such a rediculous movie, that I loved, everyone had like the most rediculous death that was overthe top. Great action and a good comic book movie, the fight with the russian was great. A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu May 18, 2006 1:58 pm
Superman: The Movie

The more I watch it, the more I begin to enjoy it simply because of how awful it is. It's an unintentional comedy - the family massacre, the russian and the way Travolta is dispatched at the end - are all hilarious. The scene at the massacre where the guy tries to escape in a boat is just funny.

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun May 21, 2006 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: The Punisher
I actually think this film was pretty great.

Ok so its OTT nature does drag the whole ensemble into parody territory at points but I'm a guy...................with a penis..........................and testosterone and stuff, so naturally all that big manly action and guns and John Travolta's hot wife got me going.

And of course I was delighted when the bad guys got their comeupance, I mean they were dense enough not to make sure Castle was dead by removing his head with a Samuari sword, we all know thats the logical thing to do.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:02 pm
Team Kris

Post Re: The Punisher
Laura Haring being thrown to her death was awesome.

Hot woman, but very, very bad.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:08 pm
now we know

Not as good as I remember it, but still a lot of fun. I absolutely adore the scene with the big Russian. Thomas Jane is a great Frank Castle. Watching this makes me want to rewatch Warzone to see if it's as good as memory recalls too.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: The Punisher (2004)
I've been meaning to catch this sometime and finally did, it's interesting to see what Marvel comic films looked like before the MCU and this film has the right violence in being a decent comic adaption pre-MCU. Thomas Jane is good and as a fan of Travolta it's nice to see him in anything, I like the cast in general actually, with Rebecca Romijn, Laura Harring, Will Patton and a young Ben Foster too. But the film is not quite that dramatic or suspenseful for a revenge plot film. Among action films throughout the years it feels just rather pedestrian. I'm glad I checked it out though.

B-

Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]