Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 A Million Ways to Die in the West 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

A Million Ways to Die in the West 
Forum General

Post Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West
This was really terrible. The only parts that were funny was anything that dealt with Sarah Silverman (and even those scenes were ulta stupid but she unsurprisingly nailed the comedy). I thought it was on the same level as something like Date Movie. The only difference is this had more of a "plot" and was about a half hour too long, way overstaying it's welcome.

D

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

I saw A Million Ways to Die in the West at a second-run theatre tonight. It is very flawed, but I also enjoyed a great deal of it, so I would give it around a B-. The film is obviously just gag after gag after set piece after gag after set piece, so it almost invites a mathematical critique: I found it amusing and on-point around 60 to 65 percent of time. Certain moments are downright uproarious, such as the psychedelic Apache powwow near the end. At other times, the film's humor withers on the vine. In front of the camera, Seth MacFarlane slowly grew on me, but there is a hard-to-overcome sense he is the film's sarcastic, almost vacant emcee rather than its full-bodied protagonist. Charlize Theron is fantastic and luminous and elevates the entire film once she enters it in full force. Giovanni Ribisi, Neil Patrick Harris, and Sarah Silverman are very fun and steal scenes throughout. Amanda Seyfried has the blandest role, and Liam Neeson is unfortunately forced to play his imposing, antagonistic part entirely straight. Greater editorial focus could have significantly improved this film: at a hair under two hours, it truly is a very indulgent and long farce. There are enormous laughs, but too much time and space separates them, particularly during the first half. As the star, director, co-writer, co-producer, caterer, assistant grip, etc., MacFarlane should have zeroed in on the best characters and content rather than simply allowing the film to float along gathering bloat and distractions. His inability to do so intensifies the vanity-project air.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It has it's enjoyable moments and Charlize Theron is a delight here. However, it could have been a great comedy if someone else with higher pedigree in the comedy genre were behind the production.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2