Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Seed of Chucky 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Seed of Chucky 
College Boy Z

Post Seed of Chucky
Seed of Chucky

Quote:
Seed of Chucky, also known as Child's Play 5: Seed of Chucky or Child's Play 5, is a 2004 horror comedy film, which is the fifth entry in the Child's Play series. The film was written and directed by Don Mancini, who created Child's Play and has written all sequels to date. With this entry, Mancini marked his directorial debut.

Seed of Chucky follows the events of Bride of Chucky and stars Jennifer Tilly (who plays herself and also voices Tiffany), Billy Boyd (as the voice of Glen/Glenda), and Brad Dourif (as Chucky). The film features rapper Redman, cult director John Waters, and S Club 7 star Hannah Spearritt.

The film, shot in Romania, continues the series' evolution from the pure-horror genre of the first film to a hybrid horror-comedy. Besides spoofing other horror films, the film references domestic dramas and tabloid television. This film also counts as the first film in the series to contain nudity.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:39 pm
Teenage Dream

Meh. It wasn't as good as I was hoping, but it was still passable entertainment. The thing I was most impressed with was Don Mancini's directing job. It was suprisingly fantastic. The opening five minutes is one long POV of Glen (or Glenda), and it's some of the best directing work i've seen in awhile. Mancini also shows a great handling of obscure and abstract lighting. The sets look incredibly fake because of this, but it works so well. I kept thinking the film looked like a live action cartoon. It was amazing. He just has a great and completely original vision. Can't wait to see his work outside of the Child's Play world. Another good thing about the flick was it's abundance of extreme and over the top gore. We get a decapitation with gallons of spurting blood (think Kill Bill), a disembowlment with intestines left steaming on the floor, a disgusting melted face, a badly charred body, and lots of extremely bloody stabbings (blood spraying and spurting out, blood pouring from mouths). It was nice to see a horror film that actually earned it's R rating for once. On the downside of things, the film wasn't nearly as funny as it should have (or could have) been. While I appreciated all of the homages to horror movies of past (The Shining one was great), nothing else really had me laughing or smiling for that matter. The amount of jokes that just fall completely flat is rather alarming. I also found myself simply not caring where the story was headed, which made me lose interest in the film several times. Also, the film is just downright bizarre. Now, normally I love bizarre films, but this was just too... odd. Not in the mindfuck, David Lynch way, but in the "random shit happening for no reason" way. Stuff just comes way out of left field. I can appreciate that to an extent, but it really sucks you out of the film after awhile. Another thing I enjoyed, though, was the final five minutes or so. It was insanely warped. So all in all, I enjoyed SOc to an extent, but it simply wasn't what I thought it would be. I'd give it a 5 out of 10 or a C+. Bride Of Chucky was better.

Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:47 am
New Server, Same X

After not seeing any of the first four movies, I know I am not the most qualified to judge this, but I thought it was pretty good. Can't actually give it more than a B+ though, since it's nothing incredibly new to the genre. I really liked Glen, and thought he/she was a good addition to the movie.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:38 pm
College Boy Z

Just saw this baby, and I have to say, this was much better than Bride of Chucky. I also think this was the funniest movie of the year. Literally. It was laugh out loud funny most of the time. The whole thing was just one big comedy. I mean, come on, Chucky's son can do Matrix moves? You're asking for comedy if you want to see that. It was very amusing. Lots of blood and gore packed into this one, horror fans. It's worth a watch, but it's nothing spectacular. Just good, dirty fun.

My Grade: B+

Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:53 am
Teh Mexican

I just finished watching it!, and this movie is a complete joke and pure trash, but i actually enjoyade it!, pretty entertaining and funny!
Bride of Chucky was a million times better in IMO

C+

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:27 pm
now we know

If "bride is anything to go by, this will be COMPLETE SHITE!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 8:01 pm
Profile YIM
Lover of Bacon

I can't believe this STILL hasn't been released in the UK yet, i will see it when it eventually comes out.

Fri May 06, 2005 8:13 pm
La Bella Vito

I wasn't expecting much, but I was entertained throughout, so it did its job. Jennifer Tilly was hot as hell, and she's very beautiful. The dolls are hysterial, and Glen or Glenda if you will is a great new addition to the dysfunctional family. It was very gory, which I thought was awesome. I wish more movies had as much as gore as this one did. It also had a few twists, especially the ending. Very cool, but I prefer Bride of Chucky.

C+

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

It was okay. Terrible on the movie scale, average on the horror scale.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Terrible on the movie scale. Terrible on the horror scale. Terrible on the fruitstand scale. It's just terrible.

D-

I remember being entertained by Bride in 98 (I also enjoy the first film), but this movie just sucks. I am sorry, but for me it was just asinine and utterly stupid.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:53 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It's an entertaining Chucky film which is thankfully never meant seriously at any point. John Waters' appearance in this one is hilarious. Sadly the creativity is not present all the time and the movie seriously pales in comparison to its predecessor, Bride of Chucky. It's fun, over-the-top, but Ronnie Yu could do dark comedy better.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yep -- nowhere near as good as the super comedy classic Bride of Chucky, but still fun - though, nice to see Jennifer Tilly in non-doll form.

3 out of 5.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:42 am
Devil's Advocate

I know it's obviously not supposed to be taken seriously, but it crosses a point where it just gets awfully lame. What I was expecting was a dark but fun comedy/spoof of itself with some nice gore and all. But it doesn't reach anything remotely close to horror, they completley stray off that path. It turns into something where it's seems like it's trying way too hard, and by god they don't succeed at all. The fact that as a movie in it's screenplay and all is one of the worst that I've ever seen certainly doesn't help either.

And they totally screwed up Chucky in this one. He doesn't look close to what he did in the others, he doesn't seem as believable, and the new voice actor for him was beyond horrible. I actually thought his voice was one of the biggest problems of the film, Chucky doesn't give the menacing funny that he does in the other films, he just sounds like a gigantic lame pussy throughout the entire thing.

Yech. In my soon to be revealed Bottom 50 list in Cinemania.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:40 am
You must have big rats

D-

I know it's obviously not supposed to be taken seriously, but it crosses a point where it just gets awfully lame. What I was expecting was a dark but fun comedy/spoof of itself with some nice gore and all. But it doesn't reach anything remotely close to horror, they completley stray off that path. It turns into something where it's seems like it's trying way too hard, and by god they don't succeed at all. The fact that as a movie in it's screenplay and all is one of the worst that I've ever seen certainly doesn't help either.

And they totally screwed up Chucky in this one. He doesn't look close to what he did in the others, he doesn't seem as believable, and the new voice actor for him was beyond horrible. I actually thought his voice was one of the biggest problems of the film, Chucky doesn't give the menacing funny that he does in the other films, he just sounds like a gigantic lame pussy throughout the entire thing.

Yech. In my soon to be revealed Bottom 50 list in Cinemania.

Did you see the same film as me? Because Chucky looks like always and the voice actor is the same as always, Brad Dourif.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:28 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Seed of Chucky:

The features are similar, but to me it seems off. In SoC he looks so much more plastic, and when he talked it felt like CGI. I didn't see Bride though, I guess he was the same as SoC in that?

Anyways, it's seriously the same actor? The voice seemed so much more high-pitched in this one, way more lame. Maybe he was instructed to do that for the comedic sake, but IMO it didn't work.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:42 am
You must have big rats

Well, basically in the course of the Chucky series, he's been ripped apart and sewn back together, which is why the change of the look. I think it was in Bride, I am not sure.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:44 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

C+

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Well, basically in the course of the Chucky series, he's been ripped apart and sewn back together, which is why the change of the look. I think it was in Bride, I am not sure.

I just watched the whole series on AMC, this takes directly after the third film, and Tilly (Who was Chucky's old Girlfriend) steals it and sews him back together. It was more the homage to Frankenstein theme they were going with for the film, and kept it going. I know it's been on your mind for 7 years.

I liked this one, I guess it's hard to really say which kind of Chucky you like more. This one goes for almost straight out lampoon which you have to give it credit for, and it is quite violent as well. Douriff and Tilly are there always underrated great. I'd give it a B as some of the jokes are a little weak, but there's a lot to like about it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]