Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Pacific Rim 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
B 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Pacific Rim 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Pacific Rim
This is quite the endorsement of Pacific Rim...

Quote:
Just ask Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, whose recent eight-tweet love-letter to the film declared, “I have never imagined that I would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in my life. The emotional rush I had inside me was the same kind I had when I felt the outer space via 2001: A Space Odyssey and and when I had touched the dinosaur in Jurassic Park. Animation and special effects movies and shows that I loved in my childhood days they all truly exist in the screen… This film is not simply a film to be respected, but most importantly, it let us dream the future of entertainment movies. Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won’t watch this?”

...via a Wired article well worth reading itself, entitled: Pacific Rim Is Literally the Most Awesome Movie of the Summer.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:04 pm
Pure Phase

I wanted so badly for this to be an awe-inspiring, nerd-nirvana, more-epic-than-epic powerhouse of a film. But it just fails so completely. How did this director paired with this subject result in such a bore?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:
I wanted so badly for this to be an awe-inspiring, nerd-nirvana, more-epic-than-epic powerhouse of a film. But it just fails so completely. How this director with this subject result in such a bore?

I am surprised that a movie like this would actually split audiences so much.Personally, I am middle-of-the-road. I see this is passable entertainment with good visual effects and a nice first half but derivative action and a lame showdown. I know some, who outright hate the move (in fact, among the critics circle here it scored some of the lowest ratings for an action blockbuster this year). On the other hand, one colleague genuinely sees the film as this generation's Star Wars in terms of awe-inspiring imagery and another friend of mine thinks this is hands-down the best blockbuster of the year. *shrug*

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Movies such as Iron Man 3 and World War Z are decent, maybe verging on mediocre. This is just godawful, lol. Every element you can name is -bad-. The comic-relief duo? Bad. The way the fights are lit and shot? Shit. Charlie Hunnam's character's hero journey? Who gives a shit?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:20 pm
You must have big rats

The Tokyo flashback is terrific, Rinko Kikuchi is good and makes for a compelling character despite obvious screenplay limitations, the Kaijus are badass at first (yes, at first), Ron Perlman is gold, Idris Elba rules. That is enough to make it decent.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Elba is very bad. "Canceling the apocalypse" is a groaner for the ages.

The scene with her as a girl is the single great moment in the film. The one time it achieves the sense of menace and wonder it aims for.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm
Star Trek XI

David wrote:
Everything is so unmemorable, from the design of the creatures to the way the fights unfold. del Toro loses his magic entirely on this scale.

Well with 11 out of 15 people here gave it an A or B. glad to see most disagree with you incorrect opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bITU#t=58s

IronMan1: RT Score 93%, Average Rating: 7.6/10, Reviews Counted: 238, Fresh: 222 | Rotten: 16
IronMan2: RT Score 73%, Average Rating: 6.5/10, Reviews Counted: 274, Fresh: 201 | Rotten: 73
IronMan3: RT Score 78%, Average Rating: 6.9/10, Reviews Counted: 260, Fresh: 203 | Rotten: 57
IronMan4/5/6/7/8/9: TBD

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:35 pm
Star Trek XI

Dr. Lecter wrote:
David wrote:
I wanted so badly for this to be an awe-inspiring, nerd-nirvana, more-epic-than-epic powerhouse of a film. But it just fails so completely. How this director with this subject result in such a bore?

I am surprised that a movie like this would actually split audiences so much.Personally, I am middle-of-the-road. I see this is passable entertainment with good visual effects and a nice first half but derivative action and a lame showdown. I know some, who outright hate the move (in fact, among the critics circle here it scored some of the lowest ratings for an action blockbuster this year). On the other hand, one colleague genuinely sees the film as this generation's Star Wars in terms of awe-inspiring imagery and another friend of mine thinks this is hands-down the best blockbuster of the year. *shrug*

Wrong as here the grades are sided towards the very good A or Bs. So where is the split. Unless whether it is an A or B level movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bITU#t=58s

IronMan1: RT Score 93%, Average Rating: 7.6/10, Reviews Counted: 238, Fresh: 222 | Rotten: 16
IronMan2: RT Score 73%, Average Rating: 6.5/10, Reviews Counted: 274, Fresh: 201 | Rotten: 73
IronMan3: RT Score 78%, Average Rating: 6.9/10, Reviews Counted: 260, Fresh: 203 | Rotten: 57
IronMan4/5/6/7/8/9: TBD

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 pm
You must have big rats

ironmanbarry wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
David wrote:

Wrong as here the grades are sided towards the very good A or Bs. So where is the split. Unless whether it is an A or B level movie.

This is WOKJ, here the grades for action blockbusters almost always are sided towards As and Bs, especially when their darlings like Guillermo del Toro are concerned.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Is ironmanbarry truly a new member or a spoof account?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:29 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Spoof.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:31 pm
now we know

This film is unique in that it brings together a Godzilla-esque beast with skyscraper-sized robots/machines akin to those from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and the animated TV series of X-Men, but it does it with a captivating presence which is not reliant on any star power. That being said, it's overly reliant on another element of modern film-making; visual effects. Don't get me wrong, the effects are good...great even, but the film doesn't have much else besides effects, and when the story takes a 'time-out' and it gets into the human side, it gets boring pretty quickly and with some cliched outcomes and scenes thrown in for bad measure.

It had some cool shots and some good sequences, but it wasn't filmed nearly as well as Del Toro's ego thinks it was (with a lot of close up action which is hard to see, and all fights taking place at night, which makes it even harder to see). I was waiting for just one daylight battle, and it didn't happen, so I was disappointed. I suppose Pacific Rim falls into the same old Del Toro trap, the same as Hellboy and Hellboy 2: The Golden Army; a film that has effects and action sequences but not a lot else (like character development or suspense, build-up, or atmosphere).

I was 'into' the film, and I had an enjoyable evening watching it, but with a film like this I want to be wowed! Destruction to buildings is no longer a wow-factor (thanks to the overkill of Transformers: Dark of the Moon), and so it needed more, and on the risk scale, Pacific Rim was a pretty safe bet with nothing really happening that hasn't happened hundreds of times before. The humans won (like always), the couple fall in love (like always), villains are idiots (like always) and the good guys find a loophole to outsmart the villains (like always). Many things bugged me, like why the Jaegers repeatedly threw the Kaiju into the water, like that's going to hurt! At least stab them, or crush their heads, or poke them in the eye or something original!! Also, why did the Kaiju only send one through at a time? It must have been quite clear that the humans could cope with one Kaiju every couple of days, so why not send 100 through and completely obliterate the humans? It's tactics like this that lead to their eventual demise.

As far as the acting went, it was around average at best. Idris Elba was fine, but his character was one dimensional (although his short motivational speech was nicely done), while the other characters were nothing memorable, just fine I suppose. But none of the characters were interesting enough, and none of the science-talk was engaging enough to warrant a huge section of the film being dedicated to it.

One of the better blockbusters I've seen this year, but that says more about Star Trek Into Darkness, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, White House Down, and Fast & Furious 6 than Pacific Rim.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:48 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Waiting five years for a Guillermo Del Toro flick and getting this crap is just so dispiriting

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:03 pm
Pure Phase

It is amazing how del Toro's previous charm and invention is completely washed away by the mechanical scope of this film.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:05 pm
You are waiting for a train

Third and final viewing in IMAX 3D: I love this movie.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 pm
now we know

David wrote:
It is amazing how del Toro's previous charm and invention is completely washed away by the mechanical scope of this film.

What charm and invention?

He got lucky with one movie and everybody seems to regard him as the next Peter Jackson or George Lucas.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I love both Hellboy films, The Devil's Backbone, Cronos, and Pan's Labyrinth. Blade II is a lot of fun, too. Not sure which is the "one movie" to which you are referring. Pan's?

He is a shitload more interesting than post-1977 George Lucas.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:32 am
now we know

David wrote:
I love both Hellboy films, The Devil's Backbone, Cronos, and Pan's Labyrinth. Blade II is a lot of fun, too. Not sure which is the "one movie" to which you are referring. Pan's?

He is a shitload more interesting than post-1977 George Lucas.

Pan's Labyrinth, sure.

Lucas created a whole universe. Peter Jackson brought the biggest book series of all-time to life, and had to create the world for the screen. Del Toro is just a big empty vessel, in my opinion. Pacific Rim was good, though, don't get me wrong. I just think people give him a huge amount of praise and he hasn't really delivered anything yet.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

A very conventional nerdy post by you. Uncharacteristic.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 am
now we know

I say what I see.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:39 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Johnny Dollar wrote:
Waiting five years for a Guillermo Del Toro flick and getting this crap is just so dispiriting

Pretty much my thoughts summed up.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

This would have been so much cooler if at least some of the fights would have been in daylight. Especially the big one in Hongkong in the middle could have been EPIC. I can't stand my monsters only appearing in a dark, rainy night. Godzilla marked me.

Overall I thought it was passable entertainment. Nothing I'm dying to see again. .

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Riggs wrote:
This would have been so much cooler if at least some of the fights would have been in daylight. Especially the big one in Hongkong in the middle could have been EPIC. I can't stand my monsters only appearing in a dark, rainy night.

Del Toro's savin' the daylight for the Atlantic based sequel - - Manhattan Stompin' Time!

Though as I've written before, I hope at least part of the sequel is set...

Spoiler: show
...on the alien homeworld.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:31 am
now we know

Riggs wrote:
This would have been so much cooler if at least some of the fights would have been in daylight. Especially the big one in Hongkong in the middle could have been EPIC. I can't stand my monsters only appearing in a dark, rainy night.

I also had this problem with it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:05 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Not having a single fight during daytime is the least of movie's problems.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next