Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Pacific Rim 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
B 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Pacific Rim 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Pacific Rim
Pacific Rim

Quote:
Pacific Rim is an upcoming 2013 American science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro and written by del Toro and Travis Beacham. The film is set in the near future where soldiers pilot giant robots into battle against invading giant monsters who have risen from a portal beneath the ocean.

Del Toro intended the film to have an "incredibly airy and light feel", in contrast to the "super-brooding, super-dark, cynical summer movie". The director focused on "big, beautiful, sophisticated visuals" and action that would satisfy an adult audience, but has stated his "real hope" is to introduce the kaiju and mecha genres to a generation of children.

The film is produced by Legendary Pictures and will be distributed by Warner Bros. It will be released in 3-D and IMAX 3D on July 12, 2013.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Pacific Rim
A very strange movie experience. For the first half I was totally on board. I enjoyed the way two pilots had to connect to the Jaeger emotionally to yield it (one particular flashback scene near the beginning is great) And the pace was good until the second half. Characters don't really matter in the second half, and personally I didn't really think the fight scenes as a whole were that impressive besides a couple of scenes. The effects look great but the stakes aren't really there to be involved and differentiating between the Kaiju was a problem for me as these monsters aren't really memorable, I couldn't even describe one now.

Hunnam is bland for the "hero" of the flick, not really given much to do with character though. His attraction to Kikuchi's character is kinda out of the blue so the ending shot of them hugging is kinda "uh... alright". Standouts in the flick are Idris Elba who's great ("don't touch me" scene, awesome) and Charlie Day was an enjoyable presence for an otherwise eh set of characters.

Overall disappointing and uneven imo but I did really enjoy the first half. I'd give it a B-.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm
Extraordinary

Spoiler: show
Flava'd vs The World - - you are right. My little joke was in the wrong place. My apologies to the board.

FTR, the joke was: "Pacific Rim is a perplexing title for Transformers IV".

BTW, here's my review from a bit further down thread...

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I ab-so-freak-in-lute-ly loved Pacific Rim!!!

I mean dig that heroic melodrama, man - - with a sense of humor no less!

(...if only they'd done a tenth of that in Man Of Steel. :regret: )

And what makes Pacific Rim so special?!? The answer turns out to be delightfully simple - - it's got that secret ingredient that is in such short supply nowadays, though I daren't even type it out loud for fear it'll provoke the squawking minority opposed to it's use...

...a story...

...but there it was, propelling viewers on an accelerating ride to the edge of their seats as it's running time flies by.

And forget Godzilla, forget Ultraman... if Pacific Rim borrowed from anyone, it was Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds - - it is at the very least, a subconscious homage to that great pioneer.

Best movie of the year so far.

Rating:

...and my comments on viewing format...

BTW, due to limitations in time and space, I had to see Pacific Rim in a LIEMAX 3D theatre - - and guess what? It looked great! Remember, I'm not shy to criticize crazy fast action or bad editing - - but Pacific Rim looked like a million ...errr... billion bucks! Even the 3D didn't bring it down!!! Dis baby's made for da big screen!!!!!

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 am, edited 8 times in total.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:16 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

What did you think of the film, Bradley?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:24 pm
The Kramer

Call me a bit of a purist, but I agree with KJ's stated description of the "Everyone's A Critic" forum:

Quote:
This is the place to give us YOUR reviews on the movies you have seen. Discussion of movies is welcomed, but please do not comment if you have not previously seen the movie! Spoilers are ALLOWED inside.

However, this policy is now frequently abused, even by mods - - take a look at the thread for the yet to be released film Jack Reacher - - 15 posts and only 1 review.

And yes I am also a hypocrite for posting that. I do not care. :)

I'm really pumped for this though. It is such a shame that we've gone five years without a GDT movie. Instead GDT gets the honor of being Conan of the Rings! :disgust:

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:07 pm
You must have big rats

I was disappointed. My colleague thought this was the best blockbuster of the year and a new Star Wars. Go figure.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What'd you think of the action? I dunno if I wanna give it another try but I just wasn't feeling it.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 pm
You must have big rats

Cool at first, redundant later. The final showdown was very disappointing. They are supposed to be at the bottom of the ocean, but at no point does it look like they are deep underwater. Also, the Kaiju were all different and yet...they kinda all looked the same (and were not interesting). The 3D was pretty good, though.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I really liked the whole two minds become one thing but the whole idea wasn't executed as well as I thought it would be.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:37 pm
You must have big rats

I guess I can only see cities being destroyed in blockbusters only this often until it becomes redundant. Man of Steel, The Avengers, Transformers-franchise, Pacific Rim, Star Trek into Darkness...

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

lol I wonder how people would've responded if that one "humorous" bit with the object on the work desk was in Man of Steel.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 pm
You must have big rats

Hehehe, that was kinda cool.

The best scene of the film was its Deep Blue Sea-moment.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

-Spoiler alert

Pacific Rim is a huge bummer. It isn't a bad movie exactly, it just isn't a good one. I really liked the world they built here, and not just because it looked gorgeous anytime they stepped outside. Most of humanity has just accepted that monster attacks as part of life, much like the world government's probably view terrorism. It's terrible that people die, but shit happens. They mention there is a safe zone for the ultra rich within the mainland, but the poor are left with their soon to be destroyed cities. The pacific wall is completely futile, yet is being pushed as the last hope of our kind.

Unfortunately, this world is barely explored beyond the first few minutes. Over 60% of the film takes place in a dreary bunker, where all sorts of things we don't care about are being resolved. All of the characters are hanging on to emotional baggage that seems almost petty at times. You can tell that GDT didn't write the story or invent the characters, but he can't be let off the hook completely. Idris Elba is stuck between his natural accent and an American one for instance. And most of the movie feels like we're just going through the motions until the action starts again. Action movies can get away with this however, if the spectacle is spectacular. Only one of the three big scenes hits though. Almost everything seen in the previews takes place in the twenty minute battle of Hong Kong, which is a really great twenty minutes. The final battle is very dull. The new level 5 Kaiju isn't all that threatening compared to the ones we saw in the battle before, which had cool grasping spike tails, flying monsters and one that detonated an EMP. The world is saved, and there is no real sense of victory. It's just like "yay, we did it, what's on HBO tonight?". Charlie Hunnam is alive and cut to black. Yawn. C . Once again, not a complete turd like say Die Hard 5, but frustratingly dull for such an incredible world.

The movie I'd compare it to is Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes. Which had all the right elements (great director, great actors, great visuals) but couldn't put it together. I remember feeling absolutely nothing while watching it, and sadly Pacific Rim is the same way except for some excitement during the awesome Hong Kong scene.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:40 am
Veteran

This movie is in trouble if I didn't like it. I saw it at a 9:00 showing on preview night or whatever Thurs. before OD is now called. The cinema screening was half full for a 300 seat auditorium. No clapping at the end for what must have been a fanbase that was either rabid for this type of movie or GDT.

Wow, it was like Battle of the Gargantuas meets Ultraman, which to my 7 year old self seems like the greatest concept ever! Even if that was 4 decades ago, it still seemed like a pretty cool concept. Unfortunately, I am not so sure if this modern Tarentino aesthetic of spending copious amounts of money on basically cheesy concepts (B films and lower) has born anything of any real artistic value since Pulp Fiction.

Semi-spoiler Alert-In a nutshell the film is a fictional retelling of the Battle of Britain with the Kaiju being the Nazi's and the Jaeger's filling in for the British or Alllies. Most of the main allies of WW II are represented as Mecha teams or support (Australia, China, Russia, UK, and US). As the Kaiju continue their assaults (they can't break off their attack to attack another planet like the Nazi's attacked Russia) they eventually wear the Pacific Rim alliance to the breaking point, with a last ditch effort to hold the line in Hong Kong.

The movie makes little sense. GDT makes some great visual choices and the desk visual pun was one of the better scenes. Visually, it is fantasic (the last Battle in HK is worth it alone for action fans) and worth a viewing if you find the trailer intriguing. That is when it is not dark and utterly confusing, which unfortunately is too often. The script is pretty bad in terms of dialogue. I thought the Battle of Britain as a template was interesting, but they didn't do much with it after that basic set-up. There was much less humor than I expected. The characters were dreary and bland, which reflected the basic set of Mecha bays was as well.

7 y.o. mdana-Finally, the entertainment world has seen the error of its ways and given the proper budget to a story the world must be told: giant monsters battling massive steel robots powered by humans destroying a major Asian city. A+++

Over the hill mdana-Blade Runner/Alien/2012 Total Recall/2010Tron/Transformers/1998 Godzilla/Seemingly every big budget movie of the past 2 decades. In the immortal words of Roger Murtaugh, "ITOFTS" B-

Roland Emmerich and Micheal Bay all is forgiven.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one who was underwhelmed. I merely said I wasn't that impressed on another board and they went ballistic. (... a bunch of people who haven't seen it yet)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 am
Extraordinary

The character stuff really wasn't working for me, but somehow the film just kicked into place once the attack on Hong Kong started and I was completely on board after that.

I'd give it a B+ overall.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:41 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

The worst film of the year so far for me. The first hour is just so badly written and goes by so slowly to where when the action begins, I didn't care anymore. The action also isn't that impressive and I was left with a film that was a massive disappointment and just plain bad. I did enjoy Charlie Day and Ron Perlman though.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Should this be seen in IMAX?

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:37 pm
Teh Mexican

nghtvsn wrote:

I dont know if IMAX is also in 3D but, is it worth it?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:43 pm
Extraordinary

matatonio wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:

I dont know if IMAX is also in 3D but, is it worth it?

That's what I'm asking. Although, I read the poster's comment above me and he said it was one of the worst of the year for him. Now I have doubt. I'll probably just do a 2D showing.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:17 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Plan on seeing this tonight. I have no idea what to expect.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:18 pm
You must have big rats

You'll get a hardon each time Charlie Day is on screen. :)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I hope so! I love me some Charlie Day!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Extraordinary

Totally see this in IMAX if you get the chance.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm
Pure Phase

This is an almost tragic misfire. Pairing Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro with giant monsters in the vein of H. P. Lovecraft for an epic feature always sounded ideal, a dream project, and in the end, it is far and away his least satisfying film, his first outright failure. The list of grievous flaws is long. There are the thinly conceived characters who converse in James Cameron lite macho military lingo and groan inducing platitudes. The performances, Rinko Kikuchi and Charlie Day excepted, border on excrement. This is not hyperbole. Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba should be downright ashamed of themselves. The former in particular is the antidote for audience interest and excitement, creating the summer's squarest, blandest brooding hero. There are the never-ending, always rain-swept and poorly lit sequences of computer generated combat and destruction which include not a single moment of legitimate menace, suspense, or wonder. Just noise, noise, noise. There is the over-reliance on busy voice-over to explain the mythology and fill in gaps in the storyline. It is not even a technical achievement of note. Yes, one can tell it is gaudily expensive, but where are the memorable creature designs which have defined del Toro's past films? Nowhere to be found. The general aesthetic is boxy, dim, oppressive, and ugly. (For the record, I saw it in brightly projected 2-D.) As far as I am concerned, del Toro is now in directorial prison and needs to hit a home run his next time at bat.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next