Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Pacific Rim 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
B 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Pacific Rim 
now we know

Post Re: Pacific Rim
_axiom wrote:
Not having a single fight during daytime is the least of movie's problems.

Not really. The film was never going to be Oscar gold. A fight during the daytime would have made it much more enjoyable.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:20 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

To be honest a movie about alien monsters and huge robots fighting will never be Oscar gold, so i have no idea why you're even mentioning that. I didn't expect a masterpiece. But I at least expected a solid entry in del Toro's filmography. This movie easily made me not care about his future output as much as El laberinto del fauno made me care.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:25 am
Profile WWW
now we know

_axiom wrote:
To be honest a movie about alien monsters and huge robots fighting will never be Oscar gold, so i have no idea why you're even mentioning that. I didn't expect a masterpiece. But I at least expected a solid entry in del Toro's filmography. This movie easily made me not care about his future output as much as El laberinto del fauno made me care.

For me it was Del Toro business as usual. His filmography reeks of mediocrity anyway.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It was a good movie but nothing more than that, not one i will be revisiting anytime soon.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
'Neon Genesis Evangelion' for and by airheads. Awful. 3/10 for special effects 'n' stuff.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

An utter piece of crap.

So derivative of Hollywood blockbuster filmmaking than even that which it seems to want to stand out from.

No emotional investment with any of the characters, caricatures and strands. Charlie Day was annoying as fuck.

The fighting was a joke. I bash you-you bash me got old within minutes.

A lot of places looked cheap too.

Won't spend any more time on this steaming pile.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Whoa whoa whoa...

Bash the movie all you want... But Charlie Day is a national fucking treasure.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:16 pm
Forum General

Was like Starship Troopers.

Film was a blast but the tactics make zero sense.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
-Spoiler alert

Pacific Rim is a huge bummer. It isn't a bad movie exactly, it just isn't a good one. I really liked the world they built here, and not just because it looked gorgeous anytime they stepped outside. Most of humanity has just accepted that monster attacks as part of life, much like the world government's probably view terrorism. It's terrible that people die, but shit happens. They mention there is a safe zone for the ultra rich within the mainland, but the poor are left with their soon to be destroyed cities. The pacific wall is completely futile, yet is being pushed as the last hope of our kind.

Unfortunately, this world is barely explored beyond the first few minutes. Over 60% of the film takes place in a dreary bunker, where all sorts of things we don't care about are being resolved. All of the characters are hanging on to emotional baggage that seems almost petty at times. You can tell that GDT didn't write the story or invent the characters, but he can't be let off the hook completely. Idris Elba is stuck between his natural accent and an American one for instance. And most of the movie feels like we're just going through the motions until the action starts again. Action movies can get away with this however, if the spectacle is spectacular. Only one of the three big scenes hits though. Almost everything seen in the previews takes place in the twenty minute battle of Hong Kong, which is a really great twenty minutes. The final battle is very dull. The new level 5 Kaiju isn't all that threatening compared to the ones we saw in the battle before, which had cool grasping spike tails, flying monsters and one that detonated an EMP. The world is saved, and there is no real sense of victory. It's just like "yay, we did it, what's on HBO tonight?". Charlie Hunnam is alive and cut to black. Yawn. C . Once again, not a complete turd like say Die Hard 5, but frustratingly dull for such an incredible world.

The movie I'd compare it to is Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes. Which had all the right elements (great director, great actors, great visuals) but couldn't put it together. I remember feeling absolutely nothing while watching it, and sadly Pacific Rim is the same way except for some excitement during the awesome Hong Kong scene.
Watched this again last night, and while I liked it a little bit more, I think this review holds up. The story is extra generic and there is never a single point it goes in an unexpected direction.

The Hong Kong fight and Cancelling the Apocalypse speech are still rad though. And the 4k remaster looks fantastic, fixing a lot of the "what the hell is going on right now?" moments. And there are a lot of those since most of the movie is in the rain, at night.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6