Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Before Midnight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Before Midnight 
Top Poster

Post Re: Before Midnight
B-, no idea going into this film that it's going to be about 2 ppl arguing for most of the film. not a very pleasant movie experience which would be more acceptable if it was as well done as say Blue Valentine.

by comparison I gave Before Sunset an A+ (which I saw first) and Before Sunrise a B+ (got better after repeat viewings but was also disappointed the first time watching it after already seen Before Sunset)

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Magic Mike wrote:
I'll admit when the couple is visiting with their friends I thought I might end up being a little disappointed in it.

Heh, I actually felt that a little bit in the (holy hell twenty-minute long take!) car scene. I enjoyed it, but it felt like it was just a mirror of things I'd already seen. But once the film got to the dinner scene I thought it hit a peak that it never really came down from.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:53 pm
You must have big rats

The dinner scene was the best part fo the movie because it actually changed the forumla a little and introduced other characters. Even if it was for a short amount of time, it was a VERY nice change of pace, not to have the whole thing on Hawke's and Delpy's shoulders.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Saw it, dug it, luv it.

A masterful display of dialogue, bitingly accurate, married fighting, depressing truth.

78 out of 5

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm
Wallflower

Dr. Lecter wrote:
The dinner scene was the best part fo the movie because it actually changed the forumla a little and introduced other characters. Even if it was for a short amount of time, it was a VERY nice change of pace, not to have the whole thing on Hawke's and Delpy's shoulders.

The problem was that when it wasn't just them I missed it being just them.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:22 am
You must have big rats

Well, given that this film is about 30 minutes longer than Before Sunset, there was still plenty of just them.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Alex Y. wrote:
no idea going into this film that it's going to be about 2 ppl arguing for most of the film. not a very pleasant movie experience which would be more acceptable if it was as well done as say Blue Valentine.

It's true that the majority of this film is an observation of how a couple married nine years argues - - personally I found the superb accuracy of that observation to be "a very pleasant movie experience", despite the simultaneous sadness I felt for the characters inability to transcend their fight at this point in their relationship.

As to a comparison with the inept Blue Valentine, I would say that if screenplays had IQ's, then Before Midnight is a genius beside that simpering imbecile.

Also, I would be remiss not to note that Before Midnight features one of the all-time epic naturalistic topless scenes for those interested in such niceties.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:41 am
Forum General

The first time I saw it there were a group of older people in the back row of the theater. There was five or six of them, I think. They were laughing every single time their breasts were shown. It was completely ridiculous.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

movies35 wrote:
The first time I saw it there were a group of older people in the back row of the theater. There was five or six of them, I think. They were laughing every single time their breasts were shown. It was completely ridiculous.

WTF?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Ethan Hawke went to town on those pups.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:13 pm
Superman: The Movie

The movie just ended and I'll have more on it later, but I just wanted to quickly share that I've never seen a film hated by so many old people in all of my life. Constant whispering, (at least) six walkouts with one especially old person saying as she was waking out, "I could only put up with so much. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen."

I paid $6 for a movie, got one, and also got one hell of a show. These people clearly weren't aware that this was the third film in a series.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I've heard a lot of stories like that, unfortunately. My friend I saw it with hadn't seen the others and he said this was the worst movie he's ever seen. I would strongly advise anyone who hasn't seen the others to skip this. I hate how people can't bother to do any research before seeing a movie. It's not that big of a secret that this is the third in a series but I think it's getting a lot of casual moviegoers that just see the great reviews and decide to go. Just check out the Yahoo User reviews. A lot of 1 star ratings.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm
Extraordinary

A middle-aged couple next to me walked out during the dinner scene. I was happy -- they were very loud talkers.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:53 pm
Wallflower

There were only two other people in the theater when I went, both by themselves. I was unsure if they were familiar with the series so I kept waiting for one or both to end up walking out. Neither did. I didn't bother to ask them what they thought of the movie afterwards though :P. Not like I usually ask strangers what they thought of a movie once it's done but I was curious.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 pm
Forum General

When I saw it the second time, I saw it at my art theater. It is a very small, one screen theater. About five minutes into the motel scene this woman by herself walked out and you could hear her say "ALL THEY DO IS FIGHT! IF I WANTED TO LISTEN TO THIS I WOULD HAVE STAYED HOME WITH MY HUSBAND!" It was kinda hysterical. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

It certainly doesn't disappoint. It's better than Sunrise but not as good as Sunset (but he many films are??). Maybe it's because the last 10mins or so are a bt of a et down. I can also see why some older people left screenings. It touches a raw nerve if you are married and some just cant take it.

I still found it uplifting despite all the fighting. And loved the dinner table scene.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 am
Forum General

I love the first two films and I just finished watching this. While the elements that made the first two great are there (fantastic writing and acting), I did not enjoy this movie like I did the other two. I appreciated it for the accuracy and feeling put into it. But I didn't want to watch a movie where the couple fights for over half of it. In Before Sunset, it works when she goes off on him in the car because it's short and contrasts so much with their previous interactions. But I couldn't get into the nonstop fighting. It just wasn't entertaining for me.

A- for quality of the filmmaking, writing, acting
C for entertainment value

Before Sunrise A- all around
Before Sunset A all around

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

It isn't really supposed to be "entertaining."

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

I found this to be the funniest of the trilogy. Even the hotel fight has a lot of terrific zingers, albeit of the acerbic variety.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:47 pm
Extraordinary

I can't think of a single funny line in that fight scene and I've seen the film four times.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:00 pm
Pure Phase

'Now I know why Sylvia Plath put her head in a toaster!' and him, as a literary type, not being able to resist correcting her is hilarious.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm
Extraordinary

I just don't find Jessie's ticks funny at that point. I saw the film with my mother at one point and the crowd laughed their asses off in that fight ("I love the way you sing. I ruined my whole fucking life because of the way you sing." "HAHAHAHAHAHA!!"), but I found every single line of it uncomfortable. The 'laugh lines' were generally brutal attacks.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:11 pm
Pure Phase

Different strokes. I found several of the lines darkly funny, particularly since the characters are a long-term couple who know exactly where to needle one another.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:15 pm
Extraordinary

YOU'RE WRONG, DAVID. GOD.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:19 pm
Wallflower

David wrote:
Different strokes. I found several of the lines darkly funny, particularly since the characters are a long-term couple who know exactly where to needle one another.

Agreed. I actually laughed a lot. Sure some scenes are uncomfortable to watch and it's not a super light film, but it's not without humor.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next