Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Big Lebowski 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The Big Lebowski 
College Boy Z

Post The Big Lebowski
The Big Lebowski

Quote:
The Big Lebowski is a 1998 comedy film with elements of noir written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen. Jeff Bridges stars as Jeff Lebowski, an unemployed Los Angeles slacker and avid bowler, who is referred to (and also refers to himself) as "The Dude". After a case of mistaken identity, The Dude is introduced to a millionaire also named Jeffrey Lebowski. When the millionaire Lebowski's trophy wife is later kidnapped, he commissions The Dude to deliver the ransom to secure her release. The plan goes awry when The Dude's friend Walter Sobchak (John Goodman) schemes to keep the full ransom. Steve Buscemi, Philip Seymour Hoffman, David Huddleston, Julianne Moore, Tara Reid, and John Turturro star in the film, which is narrated by a cowboy known only as "Stranger," played by Sam Elliott.

The film's structure has been compared to Raymond Chandler's novel, The Big Sleep. The original score was composed by Carter Burwell, a longtime collaborator of the Coen Brothers. The Big Lebowski failed at the U.S. box office and received mixed reviews at the time of its release. Reviews have trended towards the positive over time, and the film has become a cult favorite, noted for its idiosyncratic characters, dream sequences, unconventional dialogue, and eclectic soundtrack.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:20 pm
Mod Team Leader

One of the Coen's best. The three leads are just priceless and the writing in this film is about as quotable as you can get.

"Shut the fuck up Donny."
"You see, this is what you get when you fuck a stranger in the ASS!!!!

I can keep going but this is such a great film.

A

Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

An almost perfect movie, certainly in my top 5....no small feat!

There's just so much to love here, so many nuances and assorted goodies that keep me coming back for more. I especially love the film's pitch-perfect replication of the feel of a Raymond Chandler novel/film (Especially THE BIG SLEEP...I recommend a double feature with this and that.). This aspect was overlooked in the film's initial release, which was the cause, I believe, of the film's mixed reception.

On top of all the goodies that appeal to my inner movie snob, there's also the simple fact that this is probably, pound for pound, the funniest movie I have ever seen. End of story.

THE BIG LEBOWSKI is a great, great movie. Soon, it will earn its rightful place among the classics of American cinema. Seriously. This is a work of art.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:27 am
Speed Racer

John Goodman made the movie for me. I think it's one of his best performances...

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I don't think it's quite as brilliant as Fargo, but I do think it's quite awesome. The Dude is, in my opinion, one of the coolest movie characters of all-time.

A-

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Definitely one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. I am still undecided on the Coen Brothers. I have seen this one which was mediocre, Fargo which was decent and O Brother, where art thou? which was almost brilliant. They certainly are talented, but don't always use their talents in the right way, I think. I like their quirky scenarios and characters and those are good in this flick, but the pacing of humor is way off.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

B-...Overrated I think, but it had some funny parts. Every time Goodman would talk 2 Donny, he would be like shut the fuck up donny, I always found it hilarious, and then the ash scene was great, but the plot just didnt grab me.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Squee

It's decent. I like John Goodman's character a lot, and it has some pretty funny moments.

:glare:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:01 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Big Lebowski
The arthouse here did a special showing of this last night, so I finally saw it.

It's pretty brilliant and hilarious, what with its off-the-wall combination of archetypal noir narrative and surrealist fantasy sequences, thrown together with some truly iconic performances and dialogue, and laced with that distinctive Coen brothers humour throughout. I think the Coen's comedy is pretty hit and miss (I hate Raising Arizona, for instance), but here it works and works absolutely. All the jokes are laugh-out-loud funny; all the bizarre subplots and side characters are clever and imaginative. It's an utterly colourful work.

It's also quite a treat to see a cult showing of it like this, with everyone dressed up and quoting lines to each other. It's like Rocky Horror, only without the uncomfortable overtones of cross-dressing and transvestism. A real experience.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

One of the best ever for sure. Walter and the Dude are in the all time pantheon of movie characters.

For some reason one of my favorite parts to quote is when they're about to fight the nihilists and Flea yells out "But, but, it's not fairrrrr!!!" I use that all the time when someone's whining.

Like 6 out of 5.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:53 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I absolutely loathe this film. It's definitely one of the most overrated movies ever.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Profile YIM
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A+

one of the best films ever made.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

thompsoncory wrote:
I absolutely loathe this film. It's definitely one of the most overrated movies ever.

the dude does not agree.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:18 am
Profile WWW
---------

I really wanted to like this movie, but in the end I couldn't find any reason to like or care about almost all of the characters. I enjoyed some of its more artistic scenes, but it felt like the movie would come to a complete stop once Goodman and The Dude started talking. Most of the time it wasn't funny and I got a bit sick of hearing the constant swearing.

C+

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:55 pm

It may just be my cognitive in-capabilities but I really don't see the connection to Big Sleep yoshue is making here. The pacing and style do not seem related at all to me, nor do the themes or characters. This certainly has elements borrowing from/mocking noir in general but I don't see the direct connection to that movie. I'm very confused.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 pm

I think I really need to see the big sleep again.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:27 am
loyalfromlondon

At least before making any more broad, baseless comments.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:02 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

I really enjoyed it though I know I'll have to watch it again as I probably missed a good bit of the humor despite me laughing at this a lot.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Only easy going and cool people can understand this film :)

A-

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]