Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Reservoir Dogs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 16 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 24

Reservoir Dogs 
College Boy Z

Post Reservoir Dogs
Reservoir Dogs

Quote:
Reservoir Dogs is a 1992 crime film and the debut of director and writer Quentin Tarantino. It depicts the events before and after a botched diamond heist, though not the heist itself. Reservoir Dogs stars an ensemble cast with Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemi, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, and Lawrence Tierney. Tarantino has a minor role, as does criminal-turned-author Eddie Bunker. It incorporates many themes and aesthetics that have become Tarantino's hallmarks: violent crime, pop culture references, memorable dialogue, profuse profanity, and a nonlinear storyline.

The film has become a classic of independent film and a cult hit. It was named "Greatest Independent Film of all Time" by Empire. Reservoir Dogs was generally well received and the cast was praised by many critics. Although it was never given much promotion upon release, the film was a modest success by grossing $2,832,029, which made its budget back. However, it did become a major hit in the United Kingdom; grossing nearly £6.5 million, and it achieved higher popularity after the success of Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. It is often criticized for its high degree of violence and profanity, and audience members reportedly walked out during the film's now notorious torture scene.

A soundtrack titled Reservoir Dogs: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack was released featuring songs used in the film, mostly from the 1970s. In 2006, a video game was released to mediocre reviews. The video game—like the film—caused controversy for its violence.

Great movie. Need to watch it again sometime.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:53 pm
Extraordinary

I personally feel this is Tarantino's weakest effort. It is an entertaining, well made and written film though.

- B+

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:34 pm
La Bella Vito

Absolutely dreadful. I rented this movie because everyone was hyping it like crazy. It was so boring, and just a very slow moving movie. It's definitely Tarantino's weakest work ever. I just didn't like it.

D

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

One of my favourite movies. Terrific dialogue, fun characters, creative camerawork, fitting music and a flawlessly executed story. It's not Pulp Fiction but its the next best thing. A.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Even though I do enjoy the film very much, ever since I first saw, I always thought the movie to be kind of overrated. I don't know why exactly. I just guess when you compare it to Tarantino's other movies, you could tell he was only warming up here. I do find though that the ear slicing sequence is one of the most effective scenes I have ever seen in a film. Plus, the film's soundtrack is great too. It also has a great ending, that is both tragic and to be expected.

This is no doubt a very good movie, but compared to his later films, this slightly pales in comparison.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I prefer this one over Pulp Fiction. As a piece of art they are probably equal, but this one is just so much more fun. Good acting all around, but Mr. Blonde is the best, of course. Great soundtrack too.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Just finished watching this and I've decided this is Tarantino's best film. Better than Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction just because of it's quick pace, great story, and excellent acting. Roth and Keitel are awesome, and Buscemi is great as well. Has one of the best scenes ever with the torture scene. The music just makes it so great.

A+

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:23 am
Where will you be?

An absolutely amazing film that is impeccably well made. There's so many great touches that I could rave on and on about (how Tarantino just throws us into the group and tries to make us figure out what's going on from there, the aftermath, everything). The fact that it's all essentially on one set could've made it stagy, but instead it makes the situation incredibly tense. The fantastic acting by the whole crew is the cherry on top. A

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:29 am
Devil's Advocate

Excellent movie, though still slightly flawed. After seeing 4 of the 5 QT movies, I've come to this conclusion:

Quentin Tarantino screenplay = Good
Quentin Tarantino direction = Crappy

The screenplay, dialogue, was fantastic. Just having Keitel and Buscemi in that sequence near the beginning, them talking to each other, was great. Also the opening with QT himself, who always seems to have this great monologues in his own movies heh, was awesome. The writing is always brill in this movies, but the direction? The movies always look shoddy, hastily put together, I hate the look of them. The movies always always play like they're beat up, and with the blood and violence it always seems raw and unrefined. His movies are still fantastic, but with a little more effort in that area, I think these could be masterpieces.

Now back to this movie, the acting is superb in here as well, and the music is used very effectively. Mr. Blonde rocks. All the characters are strong, as is the plot, and how everything plays out. Best QT film that I've seen so far, though True Romance still trumps them all in my book, heh.

1. Resevoir Dogs - A-
2. Pulp Fiction - A-
3. Kill Bill Volume 1 - A-
4. Kill Bill Volume 2 - B

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:37 pm
You must have big rats

Reservoir Dogs was made for peanuts, no surprise the "look" of it wasn't great.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Well, I don't necessarily mean the cinematography looking cheap, that didn't bother me. It's the direction, the style his movies play out in, it's hard to explain. I just don't like it, heh. :)

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:50 pm
Killing With Kindness

Great fun, QTs 2nd best to Pulp.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

:glare:

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:02 pm
Forum General

Just watched it for the first time, and yeah, I mostly agree with everybody here. It's classic Tarantino story weaving and pacing, but it felt more like a stepping stone to Pulp Fiction than the masterpiece-right-out-of-the-gates many proclaim it to be. Wasn't quite as riveting as I find PF and Kill Bill to be.

B+

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Tarantino is a lyrical genius, 15 May 2000

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario

I consider myself to be a film buff, a lover of the cinema, maybe even an addict. I will see a film because it is a film. For example, I knew I was going to hate the Virgin Suicides and I saw it anyway. I have heard nothing positive of Battlefield Earth and I am heading there after this review is completed. And on this logic alone I rented Reservoir Dogs for the first time in 1993. I had heard of a new man on the scene that apparently was the talk of Hollywood. I had also heard that there were some pretty interesting actors in the film and I had heard that Harvey Keitel was the one responsible for getting the film started. So I was intrigued to see what the fuss was over this film. However, the first time I saw it I was rather impartial to it. It's not that I didn't like it but I just thought it to be okay. I didn't really get what all the fuss was about but I did have a hard time watching the torture scene. So I put Reservoir Dogs away in my mind until Pulp Fiction came out. Because by the time Pulp Fiction came out Tarantino had penned the story for a brilliant True Romance and for Natural Born Killers and he had a few hysterical cameos in films like Sleep With Me where he attacked famous films like Top Gun and what they really meant.

After I was swept away with Pulp Fiction, I went back and watched Reservoir Dogs again and this time I saw something that I didn't or couldn't see before. I can't really put my finger on what it is or why it is that I didn't see it's brilliance before but I just didn't. But Reservoir Dogs has to be one of the best movies ever by a new comer. Forget how it is directed because it's direction is fine, but what Reservoir Dogs has that is sheer brilliance is an ear for dialogue. There is not one character in this film that doesn't have at least one insightful thing to say. Even Tarantino gives himself some great dialogue with his take on Madonna's Like A Virgin, or his displeasure with his given name by Joe ( "Mr. Brown sounds too much like Mr. Shit!).

There are certain films that perhaps should be mandatory viewing at film school, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs should be two of them. This is one of those films that if perhaps you didn't quite like or understand the first time around, you should see again. It hits you like an epiphany the second time. In Tarantino's world, people are never one dimensional. They have things to say whether it is about tipping or the name of an actress, or the rants of Nice Guy Eddie talking about them having places all over of the place. I would love to see Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino get together and write a film. It would probably be the funniest yet most serious film that has ever been made and it would certainly be one of the most entertaining.

Reservoir Dogs is a film that you can watch over and over again and never get tired of and you can always catch something that you never caught the last time. This is truly one of the finest films ever made and if you haven't seen it in quite some time, do yourself a favour and rent it. It is one of a kind.

10 out of 10

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Awesome movie, enough said, great characters, story was simple yet effective, but the storytelling was very impressive at the time. Its a warmup film to Pulp of course, but it is probably the best first effort film I've ever seen.

A+

Pulp Fiction gets a A+ as well and is higher on my list.
Jackie Brown gets a B+
From Dusk Til Dawn and True Romance get As from me
Kill Bills both get solid As from me.

Cant wait for Kurt Russell Quentin pairing.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:36 pm
Extraordinary

A

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:55 am
The 5th B-Sharp

A+

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:40 am
Stanley Cup

Huge Tarantino fan and this is probably my favorite out of all his films. Acting, dialogue, direction, everything was just spot on perfection.

A. I think i have it 6th all time on my list and pulp fiction 10.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:33 am
loyalfromlondon

I really dug it. It's much leaner and tighter than Pulp Fiction, and it's got a lot less of those trademark Tarantino monologues on pop culture and society - which I like listening to, but really don't add a whole lot to the story. The characters are all likeable - even if they are pretty ruthless individuals - and are all fairly multi-dimensional. Loads of iconic shots and lines - the ear-slicing scene is horrifyingly hilarious. Michael Madsen is the standout, but the entire ensemble is terrific. Definitely my favourite QT film, but I've yet to see Jackie Brown.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Devil's Advocate

Wtf was I doing calling QT's direction crappy? :ohmy: Damn he's grown on me in the last year.

Anyways this has since moved into my top 50.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:24 pm
Wallflower

I watched it for the first time this morning and loved it.

9/10 (A-)

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Kind of overrated, but still very good. It's probably my least favorite Tarantino film I've seen so far (on par with Kill Bill: Vol. 2), but considering Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite films the standard is a bit higher. The screenplay was top-notch, but I just didn't feel as involved with the storyline as I had with Tarantino's other films. I loved many other aspects of it as well, mainly the opening scene, Michael Madsen's scene-stealing performance, the soundtrack and the ending. Anyways, I'd definitely recommend it.

B+

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:15 am
Profile YIM
Another You

Post Re: Reservoir Dogs
Saw it for the first time today. Much better than the overrated PuLp Fiction. :thumbsup:

A-

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:38 am
You must have big rats

Post Re: Reservoir Dogs
2001 wrote:
Saw it for the first time today. Much better than the overrated PuLp Fiction. :thumbsup:

A-

Agreed.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next