Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 In Time 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

In Time 
loyalfromlondon

Post In Time
In Time

Quote:
In Time, previously titled Now and I'm.mortal, is a 2011 science fiction thriller film starring Amanda Seyfried, Justin Timberlake, Cillian Murphy, Olivia Wilde, Matt Bomer, Alex Pettyfer, Johnny Galecki, and Vincent Kartheiser. The film, written and directed by Andrew Niccol, was released on October 28, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re: In Time
Simultaneously half-baked and overcooked. In an alternative universe time has replaced money as the dominant currency, with everyone able to stop aging at 25 but dying the moment their clock runs out. While the rich can virtually live forever, the poor must survive one day at a time. The premise has brief hints of sharp social commentary but is too fragile to sustain a feature-length movie. Almost every line is a time pun, which gets old very, very quickly. Ideas like a weird arm wrestling game over time may have worked on paper but are hopelessly uncinematic and silly. Every five minutes something will happen that is so cheesy or nonsensical one can't help but roll their eyes. There's something charming about the idea of science fiction bank robbers who steal from the rich to give to the poor, but part of the charm is in the moronic notion that they would never be caught o have to deal with any armed security guards. And frustratingly, this is one of those movies that pretends the whole world is New York City and anything else is trivial. How would such a strange system of currency work in Africa or the real ghettos?

This is a disappointing step down for Andrew Niccol, who has done much more mature, effective social commentary with Gattaca and Lord of War. It's almost as if Fox wanted to make criticism of capitalism look silly by making a movie that's determined to rip on capitalism as silly and goofy as possible.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:38 am
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=493

It's no Gattaca level masterpiece, but it's a lot of fun. Seyfried is sexy. Cillian Murphy is absolutely awesome playing a tough, intense conflicted-cop role. Deakins' colorful, crisp cinematography is pure eye candy. The concept is neat and suitably creepy.

It's definitely a romantic action movie type deal, which is a change of pace for Niccol, but he wears it well enough. Almost has an Ocean's Eleven esque zing to it at times.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:26 am
Pure Phase

Oh, and Timberlake and Seyfried's characters are so going to die two or three minutes after the final cut to black.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:29 am
The Wall

6/10 -> C

I very much like the idea and I find that this movie barely tapped it. It's too bad that they decided to go with the overly mainstream direction for this movie.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

IN TIME - 8/10 (A-)

Probably one of the most pleasant surprises of the year for me. An extremely entertaining, stylish and clever sci-fi action romance. Loved the production design. Amanda Seyfried was very sexy in this role. Didn't think I'd like it nearly as much as I did.

I guess after loving this and Lord of War I should probably check out Gattaca.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 am
Wallflower

On a side note, wow, this movie did really well worldwide: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=now.htm

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:28 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Mike wrote:
IN TIME - 8/10 (A-)

Probably one of the most pleasant surprises of the year for me. An extremely entertaining, stylish and clever sci-fi action romance. Loved the production design. Amanda Seyfried was very sexy in this role. Didn't think I'd like it nearly as much as I did.

I guess after loving this and Lord of War I should probably check out Gattaca.

haha yes. Gattaca is a much better film. This was solid but could have been so much better.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 am
Pure Phase

Gattaca is one of my favorite movies of all-time.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:15 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes same here!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:54 pm
You must have big rats

Gattaca is amazing. This was God-awful shit...

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Its incredible how much worse than Gattaca this is, despite Nichol working in a similar futuristic setting. Perhaps expectations make it seem worse than it is, though the acting talent was certainly sub-par compared to Gattaca.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:17 am
You must have big rats

No, I'm sorry, but this is just an inane movie. The concept does sound cool on paper, but in the movie it doesn't make sense for a single fucking second.

Like the scene where the two run to a pawn shop trying to trade the earrings for some time before it runs out with only seconds left. Why the fuck would the pawn shop owner do that...he could just wait for ten more seconds, watch them drop dead and THEN take the earrings. And no morality arguments here, please.

Oh and style-wise there are a lot of Matrix-auditions rejects here too.

Oh and I love how the two, without any experience, just start robbing all the banks, something no one has EVER tought of before, but apparently everyone is capable of, including a working class everyday Joe and a rich pricess daughter.

Seriously, this movie can go fuck itself.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, it's definitely a contender for the worst movie I saw in theaters last year. Even the production value is terrible; we laughed at the scene when the car flew off the bridge where it was so obvious a cardboard model, as we were like "wait, are we back in the 80s instead?" And it feels the movie was more interested in how many "time"-related puns they could squeeze in with every dialog than developing an actual engaging or cohesive story.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Yeah, my rant might have sounded harsh, but that is because I actually like Niccol, but the movie made me really mad. I don't request great logic from entertaining movies, but for a movie trying to sell itself as smart sci-fi with a "message" the whole concept was soooo POORLY executed.

Oh and BTW, I love how easy it apparently was for Timberlake's chaaracter to become one of the Matrix-lite bodyguards to Seyfried's father.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I didn't hate this as much as you Lecter but I didnt like it either mainly because Niccol is so much better than this. Im not one to pick holes in films but this had too many for the concept to be taken seriously.

I also wondered how often machines make mistakes and how likely it would be that a machine takes too many minutes/hours away from someone by accident (or programmed to on purpose) and people would just die all over the place. It just didnt work.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm
Pure Phase

Fuckin' A, who put Triumph of the Will in the DVD player?

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:37 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:
Fuckin' A, who put Triumph of the Will in the DVD player?

Sorry what?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The angry German shouting a lot.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:32 pm
loyalfromlondon

David's a racist, dontcha know?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:18 am
Pure Phase

Germans aren't a race.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Its enjoyable and the social commentary is useful if a tad full of holes (seriously people would put up with this crap? the place would turn full Russia 1917 in reality)

But yea I enjoyed watching the beautiful people run and shoot and love and all that jazz.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:07 pm
Forum General

Its was a B level film.

OKay

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow! What a surprise - - I hadn't heard anything good about In Time , but after seeing it recently I absolutely loved it!

A serious subject - - the causes and implications of economic inequality - - treated to a sci-fi makeover. It was a real treat to see such a well told dark tale. It's a shame there's no market for intelligent films like this, especially when they dive right into the concept like In Time did, with no unnecessary exposition.

The acting was great throughout - - Justin Timberlake did a great job at this straight dramatic role, while Amanda Seyfried's almost alien good looks fit her role perfectly, and the same thing can be said for Cillian Murphy too.

I had been thinking that 2011 was a bad year for science fiction movies with only Rise of the Planet of the Apes respectably representing the genre - - but I'm now happy to report that there was a t least one truly great sci-fi film last year: In Time.

136 out of 5.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 pm
Killing With Kindness

YAY!, I though I might be the only one that thought the movie was great.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next