Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 In Time 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

In Time 
You must have big rats

Post Re: In Time
Oh yes, the morality argument of course. Sorry, but that doesn't work for me with this film and the world they have created. The guy would have been more than willing to let them die if they didn't have anything to offer.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Oh yes, the morality argument of course. Sorry, but that doesn't work for me with this film and the world they have created. The guy would have been more than willing to let them die if they didn't have anything to offer.

They offered Sylvia's (Seyfried) jewelry. Taking away the jewelry after their death is stealing. It's against the norm of the exchange system.

Please look closer. It's not a morality argument.

Quote:
The scene just demonstrates how accustomed the ghetto zone residents in the movie are to the system of trading goods and services in exchange for time (the currency of their society). It's a legit way of earning their living (or their way out of death). It's their social norm and almost like a reflex reaction. I think there's some kind of reward and punishment system in place to encourage these trading activities and deter any threats of non-gangster thefts.

The bus scene where Will's (Timberlake) mother was denied a ride when the bus fare went up and she did not have enough time to pay for it is another example of this implied norm at work.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:14 am
You must have big rats

So, it's okay to let people die, but stealing is off-limits? C'mon.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I dunno, I dug its inherent silliness and had a lot of fun with the concept, even though JT doesn't really have the dramatic chops to anchor something like this.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:08 pm
now we know

The film has a great science-fiction concept, and one that I feel could have spawned a cult following and eventually a sequel, but In Time is not nearly as epic as it should be and I continually had the feeling of anti-climax. The villains (Timekeepers and Mr. Weiss) are not nearly as brutal as they should be, and this makes the story less intense. I want to like it a lot, but I just can't because it's not spectacular enough.

Amanda Seyfried has an ability to look like the most beautiful woman ever with her big eyes, Asian bob cut, long legs and perfect breasts, but she can also often look like a weird alien half-breed with big eyes, big head and weird nobbly knees. But in In Time she looks more like the former most of the time. Timberlake was pretty good and I actually like the guy as an actor. He's one of the very few musician-turned-actors that I like. Most suck.

Father Weiss probably gives the best line of dialogue I've heard in a long time. It's something along the lines of 'people always think that they are the one to live forever'. That's especially true in our world. Everybody thinks they're the exception, until they near death, then it hits them. It's such a good line.

For the idea, it's like Looper and The Matrix; one of the best sci-fi concepts of the last few years, but as for execution, it's like Surrogates. It's not eventful enough, and there's relatively no action in this either. Sure, they run a lot, but there's no real action. My grade is mostly made up of appreciation for the idea, not the execution. Although the wrist watch idea is nice, and when they are swimming in the water with the green glow, it's kind of sexy.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Like the scene where the two run to a pawn shop trying to trade the earrings for some time before it runs out with only seconds left. Why the fuck would the pawn shop owner do that...he could just wait for ten more seconds, watch them drop dead and THEN take the earrings.

Oh and style-wise there are a lot of Matrix-auditions rejects here too.

Oh and I love how the two, without any experience, just start robbing all the banks, something no one has EVER thought of before, but apparently everyone is capable of, including a working class everyday Joe and a rich pricess daughter.

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Oh and BTW, I love how easy it apparently was for Timberlake's chaaracter to become one of the Matrix-lite bodyguards to Seyfried's father.

The German makes some valid points here that I overlooked.

Downgraded to a C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A-

really liked it

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

The film has issues, but it's also ambitious and does just quite enough to remain interesting for its runtime. Timberlake is fine, but this would have benefitted from a better actor/ bigger film star. Timberlake is good with most of the physical stuff, but in this he lacks range. Though really all the characters, or their nature is pretty flat, Seyfried and Murphy make the most of it however. And the film is mostly pretty cool, with dystopian sci-fi elements, and the class divide remains ever so relevant nowadays. Niccol has done some pretty good stuff, elevating the concept and material he had his hands on, with this however, the execution falls behind the concept. But its concept and themes are strong enough for me to like it more than average.

B-

Sat May 21, 2022 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3