Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Contagion 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Contagion 
Forum General

Post Re: Contagion
This movie isn't bad, but I can't say I was all that impressed by it either. Yeah it's well directed and acted, but man were there way too many characters IMO. The first half had me pretty engaged, but it kind of got boring after a while for me. I remember watching this when it first came out and thinking I had finished it, but apparently I didn't because I couldn't remember a single thing that happened after the hour mark. It's shame because I really like a lot of the actors in it, but I never connected with any their characters and some of them definitely could have been cut out. Like seriously what was the point of Jude Law's and Marion Cotillard's characters or the cheating subplot with Paltrow?

C+

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 am
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
lol what? All three of those are crucial.

-Jude Law arc not only exposes the govt hypocrisy and lies but also shows how the media isn't innocent in all of this as even in their attempts to promote the truth they are also villains in exploiting a crisis for personal gain

-Marion's plot is vital to 1) humanize the Chinese who are basically seen as the cause of the virus (just like real life) by showing the impact on their lower class 2) illustrate the desperation of human beings in time of crisis 3) show the compassion a crisis can create in an individual that she goes back to try to save them even after their kidnapped her

-The affair subplot is vital to show how the virus spread far (it's why Kate Winslet character contacts him) and just adds some complexity to Damon's character trying to move forward.

Every plot in this film serves a purpose and most don't really duplicate the others message. This is a masterclass in multi-linear storytelling.

See when you break it down like this it makes perfect sense, but I just wish that I actually cared enough for the characters, because none of it had any impact on me whatsoever. If other people did that's fine, but I just thought it was all super uninteresting and unengaging despite the the fact that I did like how the initial viral outbreak was handled.

The abrupt, low key approach really added to creep factor and definitely made everything feel more realistic which is about the best thing I can say about this movie honestly.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

The Jude Law part is definitely critical as it predicted the fake news, Alex Jones, etc. type of culture.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I may or may not rewatch this, but I remember thinking it was pretty on-point with its starkness and factual presentation of death and global disaster.

Soderbergh is the man.... one of my most appreciated filmmakers, even if it seems like he makes three movies a year and they don't always land.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:02 pm
Top Poster

It seems like most of us (re)watched this in March during the beginning of our pandemic prior to or just when lockdown was beginning, I rewatched it earlier this week (after 10 years) so have extra appreciation for its lockdown and vaccine storylines that it also tackled so well. Matt Damon hosting prom for his daughter and her bf at the end and breaking down seeing the last happy photos of his wife especially poignant.

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Amazing how we were all marveling over how much this movie “got right” about the opening days of the plague. But Sodes in company made one major mistake in assuming that the movie ended once humanity was able to create a cure. In real life, Jude Law’s character would be elected to congress instead. :wacko: :wacko:

Give us a sequel! But shot with real cameras, not a phone. :funny:

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm
Keeping it Light

I appreciated this when I originally saw it when it came out and while I kind wanted to see this again earlier when corona started I only ended up seeing it again just last week. And really it's just uncanny in how it so accurately predicts and depicts people's responses to a pandemic. It's ability to be the best film about the coronavirus before the coronavirus feels impressive and definitely added to the film for me. But aside from that it's excellent in itself too, a pretty stellar cast is put together and blended into a formidable whirl of tension by Soderbergh. With also a great score it makes for a very engaging watch, that evolves into the somewhat disturbing too because of the corona parallels. However it's also a bit clinical and perhaps too encompassing at times that it lacks a main character or storyline to be gripped by completely. It may have otherwise become something different anyway and the dominant takeaway is that it's some of Soderbergh's best work.

A-

Fri May 20, 2022 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2