Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Horrible Bosses 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Horrible Bosses 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Horrible Bosses
Loved it, funniest film of the year so far.

I had a feeling that none of them would actually feel like they could go through with it so I think they did a very clever way of progressing the story. Some really hilarious moments, especially from Kevin Spacey (His reaction to the surprise party was just awesome and I hope Spacey comes back to the light soon)

This has been a great year Comedies, especially R rated ones. Hangover II's rating was not surprising to me at all, but I still enjoyed it.

Paul A+ (Slightly higher as I loved the story as well)
Horrible Bosses Solid A
Cedar Rapids A
Bridesmaids A
Bad Teacher B+
Scream 4 B+
Hall Pass B
Hangover II B

Still to come Crazy Stupid Love, Changeup, Idiot Brother, 30 Minutes or Less, What's Your Number, 50/50, The Big Year, etc. And a lot of them also look like they could d well.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 pm
Devil's Advocate

The best comedy since the 40 Year Old Virgin, unless I'm forgetting something

A

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:55 am
Pure Phase

You're clearly forgetting Greenberg.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:59 am
loyalfromlondon

Greenberg was a comedy?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:29 am
Pure Phase

I believe we've had this conversation before and settled on "yes, just not a broad one."

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:31 am
loyalfromlondon

If by "broad" you mean "funny", then I agree.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:41 am
Pure Phase

You even went there before, and the conversation became about how a movie can be funny without eliciting tons of belly laugh. It's all about inward amusement and little smiles and all with some comedies.

Greenberg is, of course, a masterpiece.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:46 am
Devil's Advocate

I forgot Knocked Up by the way.

Greenberg is dime a dozen

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:57 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Gunslinger wrote:
You even went there before, and the conversation became about how a movie can be funny without eliciting tons of belly laugh. It's all about inward amusement and little smiles and all with some comedies.

Greenberg was an unfunny prick and it is the story of a man who cannot find love because he is an asshole. Not a funny asshole, just an asshole.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I hated Greenberg. And that's coming from someone who enjoys Ben Stiller and loved The Squid and the Whale.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:07 pm
loyalfromlondon

Caius wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Greenberg was an unfunny prick and it is the story of a man who cannot find love because he is an asshole. Not a funny asshole, just an asshole.

Yes.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:14 pm
Where will you be?

Noah Baumbach's dark comedy is so dark it gets under people's skins and makes the movie an uncomfortable, even nasty experience. But I do think Greenberg is still a comedy. It just happens to be more open to going to really dark places than Horrible Bosses.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:21 pm
Wallflower

I thought it was pretty damn funny. Not as hilarious or smart as Bridesmaids, but a serviceable mainstream comedy.

B

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 pm

It's weird, but I don't find Aniston as hot as everyone else does, nor did I find this movie that funny. It was okay with a few funny moments here and there, but I won't call it a stinker.

C+

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 pm
now we know

Very good movie. Funny. Aniston is hotness.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

Hey did everyone hear they are making a sequel to this awesome movie with lots of memorable scenes that we regularly bring up as part of our pop-culture lexicon? Like when our own bosses do a total dick move to us at our place of employment and we are like "hey, we should do that thing that they did in that one movie, with Charlie Day, to our bosses!"

You know, like when Bill Lumbergh types ask us to work over the weekend or to fill out useless forms and us worker minions plot our revenge (that we never fulfill)? Haha, yea, this movie elicits strange ideas like that, like, all the time. So memorable.

Remember in Horrible Bosses when Kevin Spacey did some stuff and it was like, totally horrible, and stuff? And Jason Bateman was a kind of an uptight smarmy prick about it, like always, but specific to bosses and their horribleness?

Memories. Man this movie rocked and I can't wait for the sequel.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:50 pm
Profile WWW

Caius wrote:
Hey did everyone hear they are making a sequel to this awesome movie with lots of memorable scenes that we regularly bring up as part of our pop-culture lexicon? Like when our own bosses do a total dick move to us at our place of employment and we are like "hey, we should do that thing that they did in that one movie, with Charlie Day, to our bosses!"

You know, like when Bill Lumbergh types ask us to work over the weekend or to fill out useless forms and us worker minions plot our revenge (that we never fulfill)? Haha, yea, this movie elicits strange ideas like that, like, all the time. So memorable.

Remember in Horrible Bosses when Kevin Spacey did some stuff and it was like, totally horrible, and stuff? And Jason Bateman was a kind of an uptight smarmy prick about it, like always, but specific to bosses and their horribleness?

Memories. Man this movie rocked and I can't wait for the sequel.

The new movie is out and all my memories of the previous film suddenly came back to me! I really need to get out and see the new film to remind me of how great this film was.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I thought this was one of the best comedies of 2011, as good as or even better than Bridesmaids and certainly better than 2009's The Hangover.
It has a great premise, and performances are stellar across the board. Jason Bateman plays the straight man here like he does in most of his movies, but Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey and Charlie Day are very good here.
The film was so good, I watched it again a couple days later. I wouldn't have minded it being a bit longer though.

A-

Last edited by zwackerm on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:12 pm
You must have big rats

B+

I graded it an A-, when I first saw it, but like the first Hangover, it does lose its entertainment value on repeat viewings unfortunately. Still, the film is extremely entertaining and the cast is aces. The trio of the main characters has good chemistry, but in the end, it is the bosses that steal all the show, in particular Colin Farrell's coke-snorting sleazebag. It's a shame its sequel sucked so bad.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Meghan Markle has a small part in this. It's so weird to watch this now knowing how much of a bitch she is. Anyway, the film holds up. I wasn't a huge fan before, just liking it the right amount, but it is undeniably a good setup for a movie, and for the most part it works. The final third it goes off the rails a tad. Everyone is funny and likeable besides Charlie Day, who is just annoying. Spacey is superb, and Sudeikis is excellent.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I just recently caught this on tv again, and while I definitely liked it before, 10+ years later it definitely stands out as one of the better comedies. The concept and cast is good, but it also has a raunchiness and simply just good jokes what make it a hit.

Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2